Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 57

Author Topic: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode  (Read 106421 times)

lunaman22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode
« Reply #660 on: February 01, 2015, 07:00:02 pm »

Yes. Why would you want to do that?
I dont know how to get ghouls.
plus its easier starting with  more ghouls and skellingtons.

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 01, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »

If you want some early ghouls / skeletons, invest in some prisoner pets. You can either turn them straight into ghouls at the Corruption Chamber (or w/e it's called), or slaughter them and make some skeletons quickly.

Why'd you say it's easier with skellies and ghouls, though? I find that Warlocks (and the Overlord) are just fine for chasing down wildlife to get some quick souls. I suppose you might want to draft some Skeleton warriors quickly, but given their wonky i-like-to-rest-all-the-time training habits, it really doesn't seem to change much - those early Dwarf murder squads will likely force you into lockdown anyway :p

Shames90210

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 10, 2015, 05:28:42 am »

So I'm not sure if this was by redesign and re-balancing or if its just my shear horrible (or good depending on how you look at it) I very rarely see anything other then witches and warlocks in my opening party, like in my last 12 games I only had one non-witch/warlock and that was a four armed ghoul (he was seriously amazing though called him stitches he was my butcher and first line of defense against an entire goblin siege ((don't ask how he didn't horribly die lets just say in a few seconds he got 4 lucky hits straight to the head of 4 separate goblins killing them instantly)) even sketched stitches out he was like I said amazing) just wanted to bring this up in case it was possibly relevant to more balancing to warlocks.

Also I know its late in Warlock development and I understand if this is to hard to implement or not something you enjoy the thought of but I always hated warlock migration waves, like I get that they are needed but I always liked the thought of them having a special caravan that was like a Demonic Undertaker that brought sarcophagi with warlock/witch corpses for you to revive and generic bodies for you to reanimate. I understand that would make Warlocks extremely hard to play as (and that it may be entirely impossible to do in dwarf fortress) but non the less I thought I should bring it up.

Anyway love your work Meph will be putting a few dozen hours into having fun with the Hermit eventually when I got time, I thank you for your time in reading this post and I thank you for your amazing work with Masterwork DF.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #663 on: February 10, 2015, 09:54:11 am »

The high amount of warlocks in the beginning is intended, but I cant have migrants appear as dead in coffins. I might be able to add a tradegood to warlock caravans that might bring such corpses, ready to be reanimated.

Thats a pretty neat idea. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shames90210

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 10, 2015, 04:18:58 pm »

Yeah my whole idea was no migrant waves but special trade goods brought by a special caravan once a year (since warlock civs die so fast) also got me thinking on like what sort of a scale that could be done. I just remember not really caring when a warlock died because I could revive him but not really having a reason to do that until one died, this way, new civs (maybe he could bring like whole skeletons to be reanimated as well as soul phylacteries too), you know like the Embodiment of death driving a wagon filled with coffins and caged ghouls just stopping like "I bring fresh carrion for your work".

Stitches why did you have to die! (apparently a dragon was to much for Stitches the hero of Putrid Lantern)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:32:23 pm by Shames90210 »

hiphop38

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 10, 2015, 07:35:43 pm »

Lets all have a collective moment of silence for stitches...................................

You should chronicle the tales of stitches... I would love to hear the misadventures of the four armed ghoul.... howd he get four arms in the first place?!

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 11, 2015, 04:25:20 am »

Am I doing something wrong/ on the wrong version, or would this also involve adding Warlock Caravans?  I got precisely nobody trading with me XD

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #667 on: February 11, 2015, 04:35:25 am »

Am I doing something wrong/ on the wrong version, or would this also involve adding Warlock Caravans?  I got precisely nobody trading with me XD
Thats intended.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shames90210

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 11, 2015, 05:40:05 am »

Lets all have a collective moment of silence for stitches...................................

You should chronicle the tales of stitches... I would love to hear the misadventures of the four armed ghoul.... howd he get four arms in the first place?!

I'll do a Chronicle of Stitches eventually, Probably in a third person narrative of what he did almost like a journal or epic. (as for the arms thing Stitches had them on embark ((Gonna go with his creator needed him to have the extra arms for help around the lair)) but you can "stitch" extra arms onto a ghoul if you want to from what I remember ((and an extra head))). When the Chronicles of Stitches is finished I'll post it here for everyone who wants to read it to read it. (keep in mind I'm not a writer by trade so its not going to be amazing).

Yeah warlock civs die off pretty quickly leaving you high and dry for migrants and caravans, to combat this though you do have an array of means to create civ members i.e. raising skeleton armies to spare your more important people from danger (plus skeletons are an amazing work force if you know how to make a good pylon network), or converting prisoners into ghouls (also good because of ghouls innate combat abilities syndrome laced saliva and ability to just feast on their fallen enemies) all in all its really up to you how you run your dungeon (since fortress doesn't really fit in this case).

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:39 am »

I would think 'tower'.  But yeah, even Zombies are useful, since they can handle the menial tasks you don't care about (Like building walls).

My main problem was it took a long time to get off the ground.  It was also not immediately obvious that warlocks use Sorceror to power their basic slade boulder spell, so I was doing dumb things like investing in magic weapon user to get a warlock combatant.  Kind of a shame that skeletons without ironbone are kinda buggy.  Like, it's nice ot save on the gems on easy to train things (Like Mining) but for things like weaponsmithing... XD

I know the civs have died out, but besides calling the walking dead, is there any way to get more warlocks?

Shames90210

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 12, 2015, 04:28:33 pm »

I guess tower is appropriate (one could argue its just a type of dungeon though) but no warlocks don't have babies so once the migration waves die out you got them and the walking dead, though you don't need to worry about them dying so much once you've set up for warlock revival.

For me meta-gamingly speaking skeletons are more useful then ghouls (fire immune, from what I've seen lava immune, high natural armor rating) ghouls are probably the cheaper of the two to start but skeletons are just cheap overall, its a weird price curve. I do have a deep respect for ghouls though now thanks to Stitches but I would rather invest in skeleton upgrades then ghoul upgrades (mainly because a few dreadnought skeletons with iron armor will wipe most sieges if you set up a decent choke point to fight in (which is normally the entrance to my necropolis).

I would love to see a way for you to get more warlocks if need be but on average maybe 10 is enough to keep a fortress going for a long time, 15 is probably best anything after that is gravy on my poutine (hurray Canadian food!) just do what you like most if you feel like your in a spot where you can't do much then restart the fort.

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 12, 2015, 07:38:05 pm »

It's not really an 'either/or' with zombies.  Bones go into the skeletons, zombies just use 3 heads (why make more totems than you need?) and the skeletons can handle other stuff.  Subtract a head for every bizarre corpse you have.  But also, you get 3 zombies for every skeleton.  There's a lot of menial tasks where it doesn't matter,s o why not just make 'em?  I made a zombie profile that just enabled all stupid tasks and set them on it.  Skeletons are still great, but I prefer them when skill matters.  Pylons aren't a big deal either way.

VonPärre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 25, 2015, 07:01:23 am »

how does one add limbs/head to ghouls? they wont take job like in skeleton inscription so i tought its caged prisoner to ghoul--> add limbs to caged ghoul but turning them just seems to make ghoul and cage separately

Lokked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 27, 2015, 11:42:26 pm »

My Masterwork Settings about screen says Version 2.6.0.0. I've played Dwarves and Orcs on it for several game-years and everything's worked fine.

Having a problem with the prisoners I bring along at Embark: Once Butchered, I cannot use their souls to make Phylacteries.

I have o -> r -> o turned on, so refuse is gathered outside.
I have a Refuse and Plant stockpile near the Soul Syphon.
I have dwarves (I turned them all on) with Alchemy assigned. None have training in Alchemy, I just assigned the labour.
I have Hourglasses, made of various materials (Shick, Bauxite, Dolomite).

I am slaughtering all the prisoners that I start with, including the 2 default "Pack Animals" you get, and their Souls just rot away.
The Soul Syphon does automatically add the "Soul -> Phylactery" reaction, as if it seems like it thinks it should, but it never gets done.

It DOES use animal souls, just not the starting prisoner's souls. I have no bothered playing until I experience an invasion of humanoids to try their souls, in case its because the soul is from s sentient creature.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I use these prisoners?

*Edit - Using the same game's initial save, I went straight for Corruption Chamber. It's letting me create Ghouls from Prisoner without killing the prisoner! I have created 4 Ghouls so far and still have my initial 6 prisoners that I Embarked with (4 purchased + 2 default).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:12:29 am by Lokked »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 28, 2015, 06:45:26 am »

Dwarves have the soul syphon? But I assume you mean warlocks since you're posting in the warlock thread.

Soul Syphon doesn't use the Alchemy labour, but rather Sorcery, which is next to Praying (praying is auto-enabled on warlocks) and in the column to the left of the healthcare labours.

But you mention that other souls work so I don't know. Personally, I don't think I've had a problem with the prisoner souls not working, but I'm usually kind of slow on starting so maybe I just never noticed.

I've also never had the Create Ghoul From Prisoner reaction kill the prisoner. I keep forgetting to check the script to see if throws an error at some point, but in any case I've always assumed it was something I broke specifically when I tweak various things rather than something broken with the script itself.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 57