Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29

Author Topic: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode  (Read 77411 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode
« Reply #345 on: December 20, 2014, 08:03:07 pm »

Actually, there is no periodic check, the script checks immediately in response to certain events, like a change to a machine's power level or the construction of a new building.  However, there are still a few bugs, mostly because the script takes shortcuts in order to avoid hurting the frame rate.

It is possible that if a machine's state changes but the number of machine systems remains the same and  all machines retain the same power level the script might not recognize the change.  It also has problems when you make your first machina building, apparently the startup code isn't perfect.  But designating a new building should reload everything.
I searched the forum and found this old post. So what's the safe way to turn off the machines?
I powered the machines from below, using a gear, connected a lever to the gear, pull on the lever, the gear stoped flipping, wanted to check the readout, and a gnome die.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 20, 2014, 10:27:19 pm »

Well first, you do the lever-thing. Then, you have to "update" the machine by designating a construction like a wall to be built near it and let the game run for a bit- you don't even have to actually build the wall, having the designation is enough to tell the machine that the power level has changed.

EDIT: Actually, that post you quoted seems to say the exact same thing I just did. What exactly is the issue?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:29:07 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 21, 2014, 09:25:20 am »

Well first, you do the lever-thing. Then, you have to "update" the machine by designating a construction like a wall to be built near it and let the game run for a bit- you don't even have to actually build the wall, having the designation is enough to tell the machine that the power level has changed.

EDIT: Actually, that post you quoted seems to say the exact same thing I just did. What exactly is the issue?
Thank you for the reply. Designating a wall sounds as weird as running 'mechina' in dfhack, after every time pulling a lever. Anyway now I learned the law "never read the power from a factory". I connect a drilling rig to the factories and read the power from it. If it says there is power that should not be, I run 'mechina'. Maybe it's better to run 'mechina' every time as it's quicker than to read the drilling rig, also every time. But I like to play with my cautious gnomes.
And to be cautious myself I run 'quicksave' every time I want to adjust settings.

HugeOtter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2014, 09:50:50 pm »

I am struggling with powering workshops. I have been scanning the manual and I notice that it says power goes in through edges. I have tried this with no results.

Maybe I just don't understand power fully (I have not used it extensively), if so, please forgive my ignorance and explain anyway.

Thanks.

TLDR: How do I power my workshops?

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 22, 2014, 07:42:41 am »

I am struggling with powering workshops. I have been scanning the manual and I notice that it says power goes in through edges. I have tried this with no results.

Maybe I just don't understand power fully (I have not used it extensively), if so, please forgive my ignorance and explain anyway.

Thanks.

Power goes in through the gear-looking corners, not the entire edges. You can connect an axle or a gear (but not a roller) to the 'gear' of the machine.
You can also power the machine from above or below, which makes the designing much easier. The floor need not to be channeled(and it can't, you need the floor to build the machine) to transmit power. In this way you can connect a vertical axle or a gear below/above the center or the corners.
So in sum there are 18 positions that can transmit power, 8 around the corners, 5 below and 5 above.

Be ware of the vertical connectivity, you may accidentally power the machines in case that you want to build some other (safe) mechanisms 1 level above or below them.

And if things are going wrong, type 'mechina' (without the quotes) in dfhack window to refresh all machines.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:49:14 am by lcy03406 »

PiggiesGoMoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 23, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »

Thanks.

By chance were you using steam engines? I had trouble in the past when using steam engines for power with the gnome machinery. Once I switched to windmills and water wheels, I never had trouble.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 25, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »

Does the electrostatic generator work like other generators?  Drop a capacitor onto an input and it gets output charged?

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 25, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »

Does the electrostatic generator work like other generators?  Drop a capacitor onto an input and it gets output charged?
No, you have to run the charging reaction manually, but it needs power. Also this machine is totally safe. It does not suck anything or anyone in.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 25, 2014, 10:12:57 pm »

Don't know if it's a bug or a feature, the thunder forge can produce items in ash. It burns every thing other than metal into ash, but the output respects the product setting. E.g. if you set the forge to produce mechanism and throw some goblins in, you will get 'ash mechanisms'.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:21:54 pm by lcy03406 »

Bainin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2014, 12:49:30 pm »

question about powering machines i have 1 k spare power now in my basement but i cant seem to power any qorkshop seismograph and others i connect to the corner of the building with axles or withgear assembly but nothing works..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:55:09 pm by Bainin »

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2014, 03:11:23 pm »

So I decided to try out gnomes, and lo and behold, I'm having a blast. There's just one tiny bug / problem.

The latest migration wave more than doubled my population, and one of these new gnomes brought with him a clockwork raccoon. I read the description and it says it's supposed to be able to fish, however, this one just spams "Too injured to fish" announcement repeatedly, despite being completely fine on its health screen.

Anyone had this problem before?

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 01, 2015, 04:42:06 am »

the raws have the raccoon as a quadruped, so no hands to fish with, just 4 feet.  that is if i'm reading it right

and is there a way for the gnomes to produce alloys through factories?
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 02, 2015, 07:05:55 am »

the raws have the raccoon as a quadruped, so no hands to fish with, just 4 feet.  that is if i'm reading it right

and is there a way for the gnomes to produce alloys through factories?
No way. You have to make alloys in the vanilla smelter. The only automated reaction that produces "alloy" is "remove rust from steel".

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 02, 2015, 10:37:45 am »

darn haha
thanks
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 02, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »

I see. Turns out pasturing them makes them stop whining about their unability to fish. As does getting murdered on guard duty by random thieves! :D

Another question. On my second fortress attempt, I thought I'd be clever and not build the Telegraph until I was ready to accept more migrants after the first 2 waves. However, now I just keep getting the "your fortress attracted no migrants" message despite sending the signal. I assume I screwed myself up, building the Telegraph quite late, so is there any way to force a migrant wave, with DFHack perhaps? I'm running a bit low on recruits.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29