Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode  (Read 77314 times)

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2014, 12:15:11 pm »

And where do I craft that? I only found out that I can craft something like an Iron Wheel which doesnt seem to fit the Dynamo recipe.
Signature coming *soon* TM

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2014, 12:17:50 pm »

And where do I craft that? I only found out that I can craft something like an Iron Wheel which doesnt seem to fit the Dynamo recipe.

I *think* it is under trap components at a forge workshop. When I'm exploring a new mod, I just try to build one of each workshop and then cue up the item on a manager work order. They'll find the right spot for it and tell me specifically what ingredients I am missing in the announcements.

I haven't figured out the gnomish electrical system yet. I don't know how to make magnets or charge capacitors.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »

Metal sawblade is what it means. Should be in the forge.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2014, 12:37:45 pm »

well, I just found out the hard way that disconnecting machines from the power grid by deactivating gears using levers does not work. Well, at least I got some copper and lots of ash from my unfortunate miner :D

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »

well, I just found out the hard way that disconnecting machines from the power grid by deactivating gears using levers does not work. Well, at least I got some copper and lots of ash from my unfortunate miner :D

Heh. That's about how my own experimentation went with automation. A couple of gnomes get sucked into a stonecutting machine and suddenly everyone gets all sulky about turning on the steam engine again. :)

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »

Heh. That's about how my own experimentation went with automation. A couple of gnomes get sucked into a stonecutting machine and suddenly everyone gets all sulky about turning on the steam engine again. :)

Well, my gnome didn't get sucked in, I disabled the gear next to Arc furnace and sent someone to check the power level to see if it really was turned off (obviously it was not) :D I am sealing off the automated fort floor for that very reason. All will be dumped through a hole :D

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 24, 2014, 04:10:44 pm »

Work safe!

0 days since last workplace accident.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 24, 2014, 05:13:18 pm »

I had some sacrifices to technological advancement also. Then I figured out the power is transmitted through floors from below, so when I though I was cutting the power, I wasn't because my water wheel linkages were below the gear corners. I play it safe now and am meticulous about putting a complete cutoff gear and lever away from the machines and the power generation. I lose a bit of power along the way to keep good separation, but it saves gnome lives.

I also dump (using a quantum stockpile type setup except dumping into a hole that drops onto the input) from above now, and keep the machines isolated by locked doors when I am running them. I open the doors after shutting them down to let the haulers in. It's encouraged me to start looking into stupid gnome minecart tricks to automate things even more, purely for safety.

Lost some flying pets too. Roof over the machine room!  :P

My main complaint is WAY too many resources. Okay, I may have been a bit extreme on waterwheels... but I only ran the block making machine for about 60 seconds. 15000 blocks and every time I hit that entry in stocks I lag as long as the machine ran.

I think the efficiency may need a little downward balancing.

Way too many kids too. Gnomes aren't kobolds. They are long-lived. Kids should be rare. Gnomes should make up with pets and machines what they lack in gnome power.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2014, 05:29:05 pm »

Pets can only fight. They can't actually do any labor. That's one of my pet peeves. I guess you'd have to make robot monkeys a caste in order to make them actually join the fort and do labor, and that's just kind of weird. If I can have a steel dragon standing guard, why can't I also have a robot butcher?

After the fatal mishap with automated workshops, I haven't messed with them again. They just don't seem worth the effort to me. I know they are sort of core to the gnome theme and all, but I don't need the high quantities of items they can produce. 15,000 blocks of stone? What am I doing? Building a skyscraper?

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 24, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »

Mechanical beasties have a little weirdness to them.

I craft a dragon frame out of gold ... it bumps up my fortress wealth by 600,000. Pretty epic. I hit "construct" once the parts are done, and it creates the pet ... then the wealth drops back down to its original value. I lost the 600,000. So it apparently doesn't keep track of them as "created wealth"?

Next, when one of my precious machines gives the last full measure of devotion defending my gnome labs, I have a corpse but the option to dismantle it and rebuild is still red. Am I doing something wrong there?

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 24, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »

I also dump (using a quantum stockpile type setup except dumping into a hole that drops onto the input) from above now, and keep the machines isolated by locked doors when I am running them. I open the doors after shutting them down to let the haulers in. It's encouraged me to start looking into stupid gnome minecart tricks to automate things even more, purely for safety.

you do not need haulers to go anywhere near the machinery. Just make a hole where the desired products drop out of the machines and you can safely collect them 1 Z-level below. I put floor hatches controled by levers there to keep the "landing zone" safe. This way you can quantum stockpile the products if you make a stockpile where the products land :)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2014, 08:07:01 pm »

Clever!

Where does the workshop hook up to the machine? I have been using the bottom right corner but I've only gotten it to work one time.

Also, do the in and out stockpiles need to have "take" and "give" set accordingly?

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 25, 2014, 04:48:19 am »

Clever!

Where does the workshop hook up to the machine? I have been using the bottom right corner but I've only gotten it to work one time.

Also, do the in and out stockpiles need to have "take" and "give" set accordingly?

you no not need any Take and Give settings. The processed stuff falls onto the stockpile from above and if it matches the stockpile settings, then it counts as properly stockpiled there. I dump all raw resources also from above into the machine (stockpile around a hole in the ground, then I dump stuff from stockpile into the hole) so no Give setting there. I can imagine, though, that the Give settings could be useful if you want to feed the machine directly through the reactions in the Machine Imput.

I have no idea what you mean by "workshop hooking to the machine" :D

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 25, 2014, 08:08:29 am »

I use a setup where drilling rigs sucks items onto the same level as the quantum stockpile input, so my gnomes can throw some silk in and get a pair of silk socks right beside them the next second ;)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2014, 08:25:04 am »

I have no idea what you mean by "workshop hooking to the machine" :D

Where does the axle touch the workshop? :)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29