Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 81527 times)

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #330 on: October 23, 2014, 04:02:17 pm »

thanks smake. How early could one set up the factory. I find that the manuals is REALLY lacking a lot of stuff, like build materials for the buildings and the skills used to create and operate it, the items page is just awful, doesn't even tell me what skill each weapon uses. No offence (just trying to give you some constructive criticism here). Maybe in the next update an o verhaul of the orc section of the manual could be done? It's really needed.

Also, what weapon skill does the machultiaasoighsgohsg (I give up, the big sword the tribal crafter can make), use? swordman I assume?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 23, 2014, 04:20:22 pm »

thanks smake. How early could one set up the factory. I find that the manuals is REALLY lacking a lot of stuff, like build materials for the buildings and the skills used to create and operate it, the items page is just awful, doesn't even tell me what skill each weapon uses. No offence (just trying to give you some constructive criticism here). Maybe in the next update an o verhaul of the orc section of the manual could be done? It's really needed.

Also, what weapon skill does the machultiaasoighsgohsg (I give up, the big sword the tribal crafter can make), use? swordman I assume?

Yea it uses the sword skill.  It's pretty awesome too.  I started my first two uruks in the starting 7 with bone shields and those obsidian swords.  There were legendary in no time and wiped out a twelve strong dwarf siege that showed up early.

I believe the factory only needs a sawblade and blocks.  So get yourself a few charcoal, and get glass production up or a few quick ironbone bars.

Also smake I noticed that the boneforge reduced a wood to ash and you get one ash for one wood.  The normal non-magma smelter has the option of burning one wood into three ash with no fuel input at all.  Wasn't sure if that was intended or not, but it's a bit OP compared to the boneforge and the same price to build.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:40 pm »

Macahuitls? Swords. Really good against most things, but suck against armoured ones. I personally prefer to use Jagged Spears because they sever limbs a lot AND can do stabbity things like a normal spear.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 23, 2014, 04:44:16 pm »

I have very little interest in maintaining the manual at all; it's not fun nor even a very rewarding way to try to help people (for example, not that i minded at all answering, but the [mass production of] building materials question is addressed both in the entries for Factory and Sawmill Shanty, and in the Getting Started tips). 

There is no point in turning it into a giant database with every property of every item.  The raws are already a giant database with every property of every item, and it's easier by far to search text than HTML.  If something other than that is needed i encourage y'all to get wiki'ing ^^

>> Also smake I noticed that the boneforge reduced a wood to ash and you get one ash for one wood. 
>> The normal non-magma smelter has the option of burning one wood into three ash with no fuel input at all.

nope, that's an oversight.   Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:56:06 pm by smakemupagus »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 23, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »

Glad to help. Ill go back to abusing it now haha.

CyberSpyder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 25, 2014, 01:08:37 am »

Hoy.  Why are my civilian orcs running TOWARDS enemy soldiers?  I really don't want them doing that.  It makes everyone else in the fortress very sad very quickly.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 25, 2014, 01:50:52 am »

dunno, i've never seen this

presumably something vanilla, like trying to pick up dropped socks from invaders.  same solutions as vanilla (forbid spent ammo, forbid death items, use/abuse burrows)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:52:37 am by smakemupagus »

CyberSpyder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 25, 2014, 02:25:14 am »

No, they're definitely running to attack the enemy.  Once or twice they've even pulled it off, but usually they get struck down.  Not everybody is doing it, too.  Might be personality traits or something, I suppose.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2014, 02:50:49 am »

Yeah that happens sometime. For some reason a segment of your civilians are suicidal adrenaline junkies.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2014, 03:47:46 am »

I mean we are talking orcs here. They shouldnt be running away at all.

I find them boring if played dwarf style. Instead I keep fort population around 60 to 70. Everyone gets lamellar armor and a ironbone weapon (except miner and wood cutter). Over time each one gets a war direwolf too. The uruks get dibs on full time military training and the best metal gear I can scavenge but when sieges come I activate the whole camp into a massive force.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 25, 2014, 04:28:22 am »

Well, hmm.  they do certainly have a few traits that could have an effect, especially Likes Fighting.  Also higher than average Excitement Seeking, and Ologs are Prone to Rage.  So if you're talking about a small fraction of the civilians, especially hunters or guys who have seen combat, or a few who fall on the far end of all the right personality traits, that makes sense.  I've never seen the general population of civilians rush into battle though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:58:39 am by smakemupagus »

CyberSpyder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 25, 2014, 12:08:50 pm »

Hm?  Don't they always just drop their armor and weapon if they're not on duty?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 25, 2014, 12:21:28 pm »

As long as you keep the default "Inactive = Uniformed" setting on schedules they're fine.  in a mature fort (dwarf or orc) i'll almost always give the civilians some light armor and weapons, at least the guys who work out in the open.  They'll still run from real attacks* unless you activate their squad, but it's nice for them to have some protection and be able to shoot at keas or something.  And generally i'd rather have them spend idle time chucking tomahawks at the shooting range than throwing parties :)

* in my experience.  if you're seeing something else i'm interested but confused ^^
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:35:03 pm by smakemupagus »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 25, 2014, 01:30:28 pm »

I'd just like to say particularly adventurous, stress-enduring, and generally just all-round belligerent units, regardless of race, will sometimes lash out at attackers rather than flee. And as of the new version, having multiple friendlies nearby/having perceived numerical superiority combined with those traits can cause civvies to attack animals and intruders rather than flee as well. Depending on the situation that may mean your herbalists are beating up rabbits and crundles or charging polar bears and getting mauled, at least as of my most recent v40 dwarf fort.

Orcs being orcs, they'll probably be far more prone to attacking things regardless if it looks at them funny/interrupts thier daily plant killing tasks, which may or may not be a good thing. Also those having an extreme militant personality, despite not being a weapon master, will likely train religiously for battle.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #344 on: October 25, 2014, 02:00:57 pm »

MDF ist still on 34.11, they dont have the new traits yet
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46