Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 81068 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2014, 04:21:10 am »

I almost never use that feature; it's just easier to smelt everything and make my own armour. Though that may have something to do with the fact that I always embark in a place with iron.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2014, 11:17:20 am »

I don't use reworking too extensively, but it is handy sometimes to resize elves' mithril stuff, and sometimes I'll turn some invaders' junk platinum or gold edged weapons into makeshift flail.  Melting is probably "better" but rework is less jobs and more materials efficient, so it depends on how the fort is going. 

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2014, 12:47:30 pm »

So smake, how exactly do I upgrade? I tried just dragging the new raws and graphics into their respective folders in DF, but it broke world gen. Couldn't place tagia orcs at all in world gen. So how exactly do I successfuly upgrade the version of orc fortress packaged with mdf to O3?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 30, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »

Well, I can't tell you any different from what you just described, that is all i do too. (I mean, I drag and dump the whole orc fortress' "Dwarf Fortress" folder into MasterworkDF V6/ and overwrite all subfolders but that should be equivalent)

>>broke world gen. Couldn't place tagia orcs at all in world gen

Sorry, I don't understand specifically what this means.  You got an error message? 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 30, 2014, 02:31:04 pm »

If you just mean, it generated normally with no crashes and nothing in your error log, but there are no orcish civilizations, then try closing DF, reopen the Masterwork GUI and toggle the settings for Civilizations: Orcs (active/fort/adv) off and back on again. 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 30, 2014, 02:50:01 pm »

I just successfully genned a world with Orcs, using the Orc Fort beta OF3 over a freshly downloaded MDF 6.1.  Will need more info to try to replicate your problem.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:46:33 pm by smakemupagus »

salsaheaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 15, 2014, 12:55:57 pm »

i LOVE the orc mode!

But I still have some questions:

1) At the Boneforge I cant extract blood. Reaction is red. I butcher a ton of animals and have more than 2k meat now. And I have wooden barrels and rock pots left. Any Idea?
2) Is the lamellar armor considered mail or leather? (for uniforms). And when I craft a lamellar set it seems to be missing a chestpiece.
3) I dont have the knowledge to look up in raws, so: Where does the reaction "weave cloth set" take part? Making everything for itself is tedious.
4) Can I see the outcome of raids somewhere?

The gameplay is much more streamlined that the dwarf mode, which seems very cluttered. Thanks for the mod and thanks for your answers!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:36:54 pm by salsaheaven »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 15, 2014, 01:42:51 pm »

Distance or the barrels being few and ear-marked for storing other things might be a factor for blood extraction.
Lamellar body armor is produced as part of an armor set. Can still make cloaks though.
Raid outcomes can be seen prior to having the materials (so just forbid one of the things you need for a given raid and have a look at what you might get.)
Clothing can be bulk produced in the kobold textile hut if that's what you were after.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 15, 2014, 01:59:01 pm »

Hi salsaheaven,
Looks like Splint answered your questions.  Try having the manager run the blood reaction if it stays red, please let me know if it continues not to work for you. The reaction looks OK in the raws unless i'm missing something.

Thanks for the nice words about the mod :)

salsaheaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 15, 2014, 03:23:17 pm »

Thanks a ton, Splint and smakemupagus!

I captured a Kobold, that poor fellow is now sewing his hands bloody.  :D
And after I told the manager to collect blood i finally get some. It is slow but steady. Might be just because of distance, though.
Now lets raid the humans. :-)

Oh, and the bloodsteel macuahuitl just cuts through dwarves.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:25:22 pm by salsaheaven »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 18, 2014, 12:58:38 pm »

A quick search of the board didn't show anything about this exploit, but it seems like it would be fairly easy to discover so it might already be known.

If your put your tribal arms station or whatever it is called near your meat/bone industry, and tell it to make rock weapons, your Orcs will make clubs and mauls out of Black Smoke, Rotting Smell, Bacteria, Ect. This alone isn't too bad, as such weapons seem too light to be of much use (although the are nice trade goods, and would likely be helpful for the justice system), but I discovered the true exploit after buying a bunch of weapons of the caravan, and telling my molten pit to melt them down on repeat.

Several minutes later, I check in on the pit, and notice the Orc there is working with a Black Smoke Maul, which he successfully turns into a bar of Rusty Iron.

I had built the outdoor section of my fort on top of a volcano, and the surrounding lands, so my metal and butchery/refuse industries were right next to each other. I had made, completely on accident, a very efficient metal factory; Things were cremated into ash, which becomes Ironbone/Bloodsteel as usual, and black smoke, which becomes weapons and then rusty iron (and other potentially useful byproducts) via the molten pit.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 18, 2014, 01:34:48 pm »

Well, if you are making stuff out of "rocks" that are supposed to evaporate instantly, it tells me that you are playing with temperatures off.

A lot of things will be weird for you because of that.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 18, 2014, 02:15:28 pm »

Oh. That would explain that. Need it off for FPS.

Should be a way to turn those vaporizing rocks off on the .exe when you turn off temp, but I guess that isn't an Orc issue.

The ability to melt the Rock Weapons down at the molten pit in the first place is still a bit iffy though... I suspect I could replicate the situation with a Clay Oven and a Clay Gathering zone near the tribal workshop.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 18, 2014, 11:56:22 pm »

The ability to melt the Rock Weapons down at the molten pit in the first place is still a bit iffy though... I suspect I could replicate the situation with a Clay Oven and a Clay Gathering zone near the tribal workshop.

OK, thanks for report.  Dwarf Fortress doesn't actually bookkeep stone and metal separately, so I may not be able to close this loophole without scrapping the reactions, but i'll think about it a bit.  Not sure it's worth asking Meph to add a new reaction class to all metals.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 19, 2014, 12:50:02 am »

Should be a way to turn those vaporizing rocks off on the .exe when you turn off temp, but I guess that isn't an Orc issue.

It should be that the non-functional vaporizing effects will be disabled if you deactivate Misc.Features/ Miscellaneous/ SmokeEffects in the GUI. 

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 46