Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 81606 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #375 on: November 19, 2014, 03:04:08 am »

The ability to melt the Rock Weapons down at the molten pit in the first place is still a bit iffy though... I suspect I could replicate the situation with a Clay Oven and a Clay Gathering zone near the tribal workshop.

OK, thanks for report.  Dwarf Fortress doesn't actually bookkeep stone and metal separately, so I may not be able to close this loophole without scrapping the reactions, but i'll think about it a bit.  Not sure it's worth asking Meph to add a new reaction class to all metals.

I got burnt out on and gave up coding years ago, but would it be possible to work the other way and just but a tag on the Rock Clubs and Mauls that make them incompatible with the reaction?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 19, 2014, 03:39:46 am »

Nope.

The good news is, Meph already included a REACTION_CLASS:METAL in the metal template.  So, solution is straightforward after all.  (in fact, I knew this at one point, and this is why it should be the case that the Raider's Drydock can't use clay clubs in weapon kits)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:58:56 am by smakemupagus »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 19, 2014, 12:07:23 pm »

Speaking of the Drydock, while I have your ear, it seems that the Longboat and Weaponskit store with the Finished Goods. This more or less means I cannot conduct raids while I am trying to trade my bins full of crafts. Would it be possible to make those things tools instead?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 19, 2014, 12:23:33 pm »

They are definitely tools already!  Tools go under a specific subset of a Goods stockpile, so it is not too hard to pile them in a place separate from trade goods.

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:49 am »

If you make a stockpile for tools and also designate it by material types you can do a pretty decent job of keeping things where you want them. Example; Tin for kobold migrants to stockpile them near the workshop that you can use to get maps.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 20, 2014, 01:15:19 pm »

They are definitely tools already!  Tools go under a specific subset of a Goods stockpile, so it is not too hard to pile them in a place separate from trade goods.

Thanks. That helps alot. One nitpicky thing I did notice though while I had it at the depot, though, is that for an item that takes a crapload of resources to make, the Longboat isn't worth all that much. Not that I'd ever advocate trading one, but seeing it listed at 200 or so Orcbucks just bugs me a bit. I don't have DF right in front of me, so I can't check, but I suspect that it is less valuable than the ballista parts I put into it.

If you make a stockpile for tools and also designate it by material types you can do a pretty decent job of keeping things where you want them. Example; Tin for kobold migrants to stockpile them near the workshop that you can use to get maps.

Still havn't gotten around to messing with all the Orc buildings as of yet, none of my Orc Forts have gotten established enough that I feel comfortable experimenting with the Fancy Stuff. I'll play around a bit once I have my military suited up (between making bloodsteel and buying and melting scimitars, I'm almost there resource wise, but I haven't gotten a decent armorer yet), and figure out how to make the most use of the Orc Training Workshops as training spears (and thus danger rooms) seem unavailable to them.

On a related note, are handcrafted weapons worth it? The Elves left a bunch of Mithril in my trap corridor. Should I take the extra effort and resources to grind the bars into dust and make Katanas, or am I better off just cranking out Axes and Scimitars at the regular forge?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 20, 2014, 01:29:27 pm »

Handcrafted weapons depend on what you want, skill of your workers, and available supplies.

Katanas and polehammers are all-round better weapons, but if you need to crank out lots of weaponry quickly, sabers (I refuse to call them scimitars,) and axes will do the job much faster production-wise and still be fairly effective.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 20, 2014, 08:01:07 pm »

The damasc weapons are most certainly worth it. Axes and scimitars are going to do very little against heavily armoured invaders or wildlife and the handcrafted weapons are mostly pretty good against them.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2014, 03:59:38 pm »

On a related note, are handcrafted weapons worth it? The Elves left a bunch of Mithril in my trap corridor. Should I take the extra effort and resources to grind the bars into dust and make Katanas, or am I better off just cranking out Axes and Scimitars at the regular forge?

Yeah, elven mithril (elfite?) is a pretty great resource.  Like the others said the handcrafted Damasc weapons are pretty good and you need to eventually mix in some armor piercing one way or another.  Mithril makeshift mail or makeshift blades at the Molten Pit, use a lot less resources and are pretty serviceable. "Enchant mithril arrows", from mithril bars and wood at the fletcher is a good use of looted Outland toolkits if you use boworcs. 

In my current fort I'm just being lazy and trading Elven gear to caravans though, since I have a hematite vein in a shallow marble layer, i don't really need the mithril too badly.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2014, 04:27:04 pm »

Speaking of the Drydock, while I have your ear, it seems that the Longboat and Weaponskit store with the Finished Goods. This more or less means I cannot conduct raids while I am trying to trade my bins full of crafts. Would it be possible to make those things tools instead?

One thing I just learned: If you put [FURNITURE] in a tool definition it is stored in furniture stockpiles that have "other large tools" enabled. Much more realistic for large stuff like this.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 21, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »

One thing I just learned: If you put [FURNITURE] in a tool definition it is stored in furniture stockpiles that have "other large tools" enabled. Much more realistic for large stuff like this.

Oh!  Thanks.  That and adjusting the value of longboats are good ideas. 

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 21, 2014, 04:36:48 pm »

I figured that out purely by accident, haven't even had time to use it myself yet :p

BTW: Stepladders in 40.x? They use just this trick (aka they have no special category, unlike minecarts or wheelbarrows).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 24, 2014, 10:10:25 pm »

A few more days playing as the Orcs, a few more observations questions:

-At long last, a strange mood in need of silk pushed me into building the Blacksmoke Furnace. Now that I have it, I notice that I can make Cobalt Bars with it. My map has lots of Cobalt, and no silver for handcrafted weapons so far. How does Cobalt stack up with the other metals in terms of making regular arms/armor at the forge? I might just be able to take some of the burden off my (Blood)steel supply if its any good. Otherwise, I'll likely just make Lupine Masks/Daggers/Arrows out of the stuff to train my smiths as I have it in abundance.

-Decided I wanted some flachette guns. Out of curiosity, why does the goblin tinker need to work with Blowguns? It would be a bit less complicated/obtuse if he could just use a Brass Bar + Another Metal Bar + a Mechanism. While I am on that topic, which labor does the Tinker use, so that I can make sure I have the best orc for the job making the final weapons?

-I noticed that if you get masterwork stuff from the Freelancers or the Raiders, it credits the Orc who bought it or unloaded the ship as 'crafting' it. This is a pain in the ass if you intend to melt the damn thing for metal, as your guild/galley slave will get pissed off. No way you can stop those workshops from crediting a 'creator', is there?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 24, 2014, 10:14:33 pm »

Can't speak for most of that, but Cobalt is irongrade if I'm not mistaken.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 24, 2014, 10:50:02 pm »

Actually I think cobalt is slightly better than iron.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46