Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 81070 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #405 on: December 05, 2014, 02:33:32 pm »

Is their some trick to getting easy shell or horn I am missing? With the lack of a sawmill for wood production, I feel that it is far easier to obtain a sustainable supply of Bonemetal than it is to start cranking out lamellar.

Well, nothing at all against ironbone, but just to play advocate -- If you're near a pond there's turtles for shell, and my forts tend to be stocked pretty well with both Aurochs and invaders' dead hoof-animals like unicorns, horses, and deer.  A full lamellar suit should take quite a few less pieces of material to craft than full ironbone too, and ironbone requires fuel.

Oh. My Kobolds sometimes do the woodstalk, but I usually only grow that in the winter. If it is a time of year where I can be growing Blade Weeds, I'd rather just be using Wicker to make bins and beds to indirectly help my wood stores indirectly by taking the pressure off of my wood supply.

Perhaps I'll just get another Kobold for full time woodstalk duty.

Oh, and the fuel thing would explain the Lamellar/Ironbone thing. I almost always build on volcanos... So yeah, Ironbone duh, of course metal would be easier to make than other options.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 06, 2014, 03:40:48 pm »

If it is a time of year where I can be growing Blade Weeds, I'd rather just be using Wicker to make bins and beds to indirectly help my wood stores indirectly by taking the pressure off of my wood supply.

Yeah, seems like there's always plenty for the textile shanty to do, i actually had an extra one dedicated to clothing sets too in my last fort, which had lots of cavern spiders for silk & I had a wooly squig ranch.

Confirmed by the way, that the Treesinger's Pagoda is where to find the specific reaction you guys were looking for (farmed saplings to wood).  Yes, the pagoda blueprint is a rare drop, so you can't necessarily count on getting it in the first couple years and an opportunity cost from not raiding other places, but you'll get plenty of looted wood and elven captives along the way.  Of course there's still the farmers' bazaar, elf labor cells, nethermill, woodstalks, etc.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 14, 2014, 05:59:26 pm »

Caught a bug today, that was preventing 3 of the 4 actions at Gnomish labor cell;

\\find
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LABOR_GNOME_ORC]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LABOR_GNOME2_ORC]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LABOR_GNOME3_ORC]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LABOR_GNOME4_ORC]

\\replace
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LABOR_GNOME_ORC]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LABOR_GNOME_ORC2]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LABOR_GNOME_ORC3]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LABOR_GNOME_ORC4]

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 15, 2014, 03:33:50 pm »

A call to arms:

"Battle of 8 Armies" - Orcs needed!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146594.0

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 16, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »

Tiny quickfix.
Be a pity if all the labor cells weren't working at max efficiency for Meph's story fort. ;)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6732

V6.0 OF4a
* Enable basic magic missle craft at Tribal as well as Arcane Forge (matching bladeshard)
* Tinkered castename standard settings to compromise embark screen info vs. strange redundant names in adventure time (e.g. "orc peon" vs. "orc orc")
* Bugfix gnome labor cell, some reax were typo in entity

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #410 on: December 16, 2014, 03:27:18 pm »

I'll certainly do that update I've been (slowly) working on before the story forts. :)

Edit: Why are KEEN's elves in the update? There are some additional graphics...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:43:22 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 18, 2014, 11:54:56 am »

Modding is very mysterious sometimes, sometimes a bunch of elf graphics with new sprites for the Masterwork professions just appear in your working directory for no reason.  I should check my errorlog  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:59:20 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #412 on: December 18, 2014, 01:50:36 pm »

Ah, so you absolutely did not work on anything elf mode related at all, and these just happened to appear with your orcs. Understood.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 03, 2015, 07:43:25 am »

The orcish caravan has brought spellsword magic tomes and arcanii magic tomes, do these tomes have any function?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2015, 08:36:17 am »

Open them at the trade storage - they contain mojos.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2015, 08:39:25 am »

0.0 ty

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 05, 2015, 11:59:05 am »

Just equipped a dreamwalker with a "silver necromantic dreamcatcher", he starts to raise undead which are shown as "friendly" on the units screen, but they attack my orcs. Is this an intended effect?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 05, 2015, 12:36:52 pm »

Yes, the hostility is intended.  (listed as friendly is not, don't know if there's anything I can do about it)

The necromancy and stormcrystal spells are both double-edged swords -- that's why they're equipable instead of permanently learned.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 13, 2015, 06:02:43 pm »

I am a bit confused on orc magic still, despite reading the change notes (and manual, which is outdated on this) 3-4 times. Let me see if I can ask the right questions.

1) From what I can tell the magic codexes are needed to go from dreamwalker to a named magicuser caste (druid, etc.) Various places also say that a codex teaches some spells but not sure whether that remains the case. Is it? Or are mojos required for all spell learning now? I don't see an option to learn spells without mojos, so it would have to be part of the actual promotion process, but no idea how to tell in game.

2) Can plain dreamwalkers learn spells from mojos and use magic staves? If so, what's the benefit to going to the advanced caste? (If the answer to 1 is the process of promoting to advanced caste teaches a subset of the spells... needs to be made more clear in the manual or somewhere.)

3) I think I get that any caste of magic user can use any staff or dreamcaster now. Is this correct? And ammo is simply a choice of two type that are matched to two of the staves each. Then that ammo can be further enchanted according to the limits for that type of ammo.

I think the confusion comes from all the recent changes and no concise restatement of how it all works. Too much conflicting information in change logs and manual to keep it straight in my aching head. :p

Maybe I'll just give them all hand cannons and let them make their own steel or brass magic.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 13, 2015, 07:11:00 pm »

I am happy to answer questions, and will do so for these later, but I can't make the time commitment to maintain the manual.  Very sorry but that's just what it is.  Wiki is an option.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 46