Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 81432 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #540 on: March 27, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »

Great thanks!  Knowing the name I should be able to get started.

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I stream DF. People watch it. I'm happy.
    • View Profile
    • I'm streaming DF every now and then
« Reply #541 on: April 02, 2015, 12:39:37 am »

Let our foes remember this day in horror and angst. This is the story of how an determined warchief bested an mighty, unyielding foe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The salty orcish corsair dreams of far distant lands, a paradise of plunder and pillage that indeed calls out to the water-touched thugs of the horde. This calling has lead one particular corsair war chief and his ragtag band of boyz and girlz to an secluded beech nestled in between two majestic mountains, protecting the orcs cunning plans from prying, jealous eyes. 

Here shall rise an beacon of orcish might and wealth, waving an taunting bird at anyone who might want to challenge the horde, in the shape of an snazzy castle, all made out bones of fallen foes (mostly animals. What, it still counts! HEY, come over here and say that ya git!).

A problem that soon presented itself to the laboring orcs was the ocean itself. It was both inviting with it's alluring promise of freedom through open waters but at the same time unwelcoming with it's meter high waves assaulting its beaches relentlessly. This proved to be somewhat problematic as orcs started to complain over saltwater in their boar meat, but also prevented the Corsair from constructing the dry dock for his ships right at the edge of the water. The war chief was stumped, but not beaten. As threats of violence did not seem to affect the waves that much, the war chief concluded that it was time to be cunning, but brutal, and brutal but cunning. But how can one beat what feels no pain?

The weeks went by, and the disgruntled corsair found himself stuck a stone throw away from the beach, the constantly moving waves taunting him as the groups' peons worked on the forts early defenses as it's crafters pushed out armor and weapons, preparing for the promised raids.

The winter season rolled in from the south, the lands and the bears slowly drifted into an slumber. But they were not alone. The cold breeze seemed to affect even the mighty ocean itself, the Corsair confirmed while he noticed the waves shrinking in size for every passing day. A week later, the ocean laid calm and silent, frozen solid from the cold season's embrace. Somewhere deep inside that thick orcish skull adorning the Corsairs body, an idea sparked to life. His enemy had been put to rest, slumbering silently, unable to defend itself. Now was the time to be brutally cunning, and cunningly brutal. It was time to attack this slumbering behemoth, and take full advantage of it's weak state. Barking orders left and right, kicking and cursing, he got the entire fort up to its feet.

Miners started digging out paths through the frozen ocean, masons hurried back and forth between the coast and the fort, while wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow full of bones dumped it's load at the bone-carvers workshop. Day and night the orcs toiled, a constant murmur of profanity and death threats sweeping over the beach as the Corsairs cunning plans took shape. It seemed impossible, but somehow, armok knows why, the orcs put the last finishing touches to the crazy plan just in time before the ocean started to wake up, crackling and rumbling as it woke from its deep slumber.

The corsair looked upon his beach, arms proudly folded behind his back as he gazed out over his creation. This was truly a good day to be an orc.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A massive wavebreaker, 100% made out of bones had been erected in front of the fort, shielding it from the watery oceans fury, it's waves breaking like glass against the mighty orc-made wall.

Today is an milestone in Orcish engineering has been reached. Orcish engineers throughout the lands cheers and rejoys, putting their behinds on display for the silly little gnomes. "Who's the smart bunch now, eh??". Busy dry docks shall soon litter the coast - the home of an mighty orchish fleet, the greedy orcs already dreaming of coin and gem, slave and meat. There's an hint of promised profit in the air, and this corsair has his eyes set on the nearby human towns, a sinister grin adoring his scared face as he hoists his iron scimitar to the skies, awakening a massive WAAAAAAGH in his fellow kin that echoes out over the open waters of the now beaten sea.

( Can't wait until we can enjoy masterwork in 40.24. But until that day, happy pillaging fellow Orcs!)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:43:37 am by NukeACitrus »
"I managed to escape but my limbs are chopped off. Now what?" - DF wiki.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 02, 2015, 12:32:25 pm »

Very nice :D

How many creatures did it take?  The fort walls are bone too?

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I stream DF. People watch it. I'm happy.
    • View Profile
    • I'm streaming DF every now and then
« Reply #543 on: April 02, 2015, 01:45:06 pm »

Hmm, No idea really. Let' say... around 30? I mean you get 4 blocks from one bone, I just sent out my squad every time a animal wandered into my map and got bones that way. And yes the fort is also made out of bone, bridges and everything. I'm planning on doing multiple Z-leveled fort, 100% made out of bone! :D

PS: I can't seem to use my elven captives, even though I have them in cages, stockpiled in my fort.

Am I doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:49:10 pm by NukeACitrus »
"I managed to escape but my limbs are chopped off. Now what?" - DF wiki.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 03, 2015, 12:37:25 am »

No, that's not a thing, Orc Fortress is from a time before the development of whatever black magic allows the use of live creatures in reactions.

The "elven captive" in a labor cell is an artifact that comes from raiding.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 09, 2015, 12:26:33 am »

So.... What exactly are bomb satchels and detonator packs supposed to do? Some sort of explosive attack I assume. The manual says they're carried in the off-hand, which they are, but they don't seem to really do anything.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 09, 2015, 01:07:21 am »

So.... What exactly are bomb satchels and detonator packs supposed to do? Some sort of explosive attack I assume. The manual says they're carried in the off-hand, which they are, but they don't seem to really do anything.

Huh.  Definitely used to work like so...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125678.msg4220459#msg4220459

The elves are spaced out in that pic there so you can visualize the blast in clear intuitive units like EDDs (elf deca deaths)

Sapper is an on Flee act (might even give to a cowardly civilian rather than fighter snaga).  Flamethrower and stikkbombs are like firebreath and fireball, to be used on attack.

I'll check it when I get a chance.  Some of the magic off hands got screwed up in v4 or 5 but I thought I got it fixed.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:11:41 am by smakemupagus »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 09, 2015, 01:21:42 am »

Then perhaps the new manual should point out such, although in my case it was a stickbomb satchel and didn't see use.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 09, 2015, 09:19:15 am »

Then perhaps the new manual should point out such, although in my case it was a stickbomb satchel and didn't see use.

I'm not likely to put a lot of work into the manual, I'm sorry.  I will include contributions and try to delete stuff that's out of date.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:07 am »

I'm not likely to put a lot of work into the manual, I'm sorry.  I will include contributions and try to delete stuff that's out of date.

Well, for something like what you described, context is  kinda important so you know who to give what so the big brave uruk doesn't carry a run away satchel when he should be hoofing grenades.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 09, 2015, 12:22:57 pm »

Yeah, although (back when it worked) an Uruk would actually fight until deathly wounded and then explode, not unlike the runner in the the movie version of Helm's Deep.  So you could use it in different ways if you wanted to experiment.  I don't want to be too prescriptive about how to play.

i have mixed opinions about manuals.  I like the opportunity to share information and etc. with the player, but it creates such an expectation that it is a sacred document and people get really upset when it's wrong (not saying this is you now), and I don't have the time to create or maintain it at such a high level, and i don't enjoy the stress that comes with sort of half-assing it and then upsetting people.  DF doesn't have a manual, most other mods don't have manuals, Triple-A big studio releases don't even have a manual anymore :P 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 09, 2015, 01:11:34 pm »

Yeah, but it just helps to know what's supposed to do what is all when it comes to certain special weapons like that.

Plus with the manual you don't end up having to answer the same questions a dozen times over (What building does this? Where do I do that? What does this or that do?) Took me ages to figure out how to make bloodsteel and ironbone with dwarves cause nobody would ever answer; only figured it out thanks to the manual and even then it took me a while because of the entry the relevant stuff was under.

I mean I'd write some kind of manual (at least the text for it, I'm no good with formatting or anything) if I knew what half the stuff in any one race did.

EDIT: As an aside, you may need to iron out a bug with makeshift armor. I caught a guy working the same armor over and over again even with separate orders and a stockpile for the armor.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 09, 2015, 02:49:08 pm »

Yeah, I know it's very useful for a certain type of player/reader, and then the folks who read the manual are active on forums or games can help communicate stuff to other players, so it really is nice to have.  I really like seeing players use the embark scenarios and then put their own spin on it too like you did with Vale of Tears.

But thing is, I really just don't have the kind of time that i did a couple years ago, so when I have time it's like, I can choose one of (modding or playing or documenting).... it's just going to be rare that i choose documenting, especially since that's something that in principle other folks could help with more easily than bugfixing.  BTW it's the formatting and pictures and junk that I don't like and/or am not good at doing, too ~~

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #553 on: April 11, 2015, 03:13:33 am »

Dont you worry about your orcs, smake. Just let me know if I should port them, and I do my best. Most features will work, since you wrote most of the mod before I started adding so many fancy scripts anyway. I can port Orc mode just as easily as Kobold or Hermit mode.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bzro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 15, 2015, 01:12:34 pm »

I have a few minor problems (well, one) with the Orc Fortress Mode, mainly that my Freelancers Guild won't sell anything. I've tried using both the building and the Manager, but the job always just sits there in the job list, and everyone ignores it. Is there something specific I have to do, or a labor I need to enable, to get this to work?

*EDIT

The issue seems to have resolved itself. I got a new Migrant wave and one of them just went ahead and did it. Still not sure what happened, but it appears not to matter anymore
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:11:43 pm by bzro »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46