Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 81060 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:35:06 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:45:57 pm »

Please post all discussion, questions, suggestions and bug reports for Orcs in this thread. Thank you.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ibluminatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:30:31 am »

I understand the person who originally worked on this issue left. Who long would it take for someone who has some coding and modding experience to learn how to mod for DF? I really like playing as the Orcs, however I don't like the crashes and bugs.  I wouldn't mind learning while I'm out of my Uni for the summer.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:13 pm »

Smakemupagus has written the Orcs, but has been inactive for over a year. Urist McTeellox, from the "studded with patches" project started a rebalance project, but is extremely busy in RL.

I am not aware of any crashes specific to Orc mode. In fact, Smake was very thourough about bugs, much more than the rest of the mod. Any crashes you experienced are most likely from dfhack diggingInvaders, which will be fixed in the next update by me.

Coding is not necessary for DF. Modding can be learned quite fast, especially if you just read through Raws other people wrote. Important is that you know what you want to do and make some sort of plan. And that the new content/changes continue is a similar fashion as the old ones. As long as it fits with the current Orc theme, new content would be great. :)

I would welcome the support. :)

ibluminatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:36 pm »

Cool, I will try to have an update for you on what I'm going to do Friday!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 12:38:20 pm »

Great. :)

Urist McTeellox also has his plans online, see here: https://github.com/pjf/masterwork-dwarf-fortress/issues?milestone=2&state=open

He is not currently working on them, but maybe you can borrow from each other. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 01:51:05 pm »

Lets sum up McTeellox's ideas. 16 suggestions he collected in his list.

1. Low-level dreamwalker weapon
 - A staff and a melee weapon that are cheap and early to make and gives minor buffs/spells. Uses itemsyndrome, only works for dreamwalkers and mages.

2. Expand orcish captives
 - Take real, live invaders prisoner. By interaction or transformation. Then expand the other industries around these captured slaves. (Note by Meph: Warlocks and Succubi have this. Kinda. I even want to move away from it in Warlock mode, because live prisoners are too much of a hassle to micromanage.)

3. Announcements on Orc raid
 - Add lines of text to announcements.lua so it pastes results of raiding/special reactions into the gamelog.

4. Orcish Grand Circle
 - Big suggestion. Make a center workshop that works with scalps, unlocking 8 surrounding workshops that form a great circle. Each one requires scalps of a specific race and unlocks a buildings that gives you race specific abilities. So you defeat enough dwarves, you get access to the dwarf-part of the Grand Circle. Defeat all races often enough, collect enough scalps, and you can build the entire circle. With workshop names like "Monument of Mountain Conquest" or "Monument of the Razed Forests". (Note by Meph: This sounds exactly like the Warlock library. Kill enemies, use scalps to write books, books unlock parts of the larger building. And its 3x3=9 workshops as well. Not sure if people want to see the same technique twice. It also requires all races to be active in a world, so most players will never be able to fully build the entire circle.)

5. Have enemies arrive at the orcish drydock
 - Spawn units when your raid fails. A bit tricky to do, because its a IF/ELSE reaction. And the units would be naked, currently spawning units with gear is not possible.

6. Overhaul orcish cisterns
 - It uses a very old system of creating water/magma. Using scripts will make them much easier to use.

7. Add magmalings/waterlings to orcs
 - Dwarves use them, but see above: There are better solutions now. Maybe raid/steal them from dwarves though.

8. Sorting Bench Workshop
 - Has "free" reactions that require a special ingredient which is preserved, and no other product. In short: Reaction "Sort scalps" would take any scalp, carry it to the workshop and leave it there. Thats it. A way to easier move highly specific objects to a place. Objects wanted are: dream talismen and soulgems, prepared scalps, standards of honour, raiding gear (weapon crates, longboats), mojos, blueprints, migrants and captives, foreign toolkits, acid vials, warrior codexes, dreamwalker codexes.

9. Orcs need light sources
 - Add some Rendermax-using lights. Simple.

10. Moar dakka
 - Add more weapons to the Orcs.  Suggestions so far: Crescent moon knives, Dragon beard hooks, Karambits... probably southamerican or asian weaponry would fit best.

11. Orcs should have a use for gnarled roots
 - Gnarled roots are single inorganics that appear in soil. They can be made into wood by some other races. Orcs shouls be able to do that too.

12. Blacksmoke furnaces should produce smoke
 - Real smoke is possible. Impact on FPS is highly likely though. See science here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134547.msg4886932#msg4886932

13. Honour Guard's Armour
 - Build highly specific sets of good armor that uses standards of honour as reagents to make. Gives constant buff to nearby units. Requires itemsyndrome. Simply put:
Spoiler: One of these guys (click to show/hide)

14. Advanced Orc Raids
 - Improve the raiding system. Raiding ruins is too easy, and there are no drawbacks to doing so. Adding negative effects like spawning a Nightcreature, or getting an Orc infected or cursed, or spawning items with negative effects, or triggering ambushes or sieges would be nice. Adding more targets as well.

15. Have orcish raids trigger sieges
 - See above. Use probabilitySyndrome and AutoSyndrome to run the Force Event script when doing raids.

16. Honouring dead ancestors?
 - If we have a way to trigger off a citizen's death, we can have them drop a special item that can be used to make things in their honour. (Note by Meph: Not entirely sure where he was going with that.)

Two additions from me, about two bug reports for Orc Mode:

(17. Frostscald destroy clothes with own frostspell frost damage)
(18. Scalps too valuable - item_tool is missing size token?)

Edit: Third addition: Lamellar robes use a clothing item, which means that they do wear away.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:LAMELLAR_ROBE_ORC]
[NAME:craft lamellar robe]
[BUILDING:ORC_TRIBALGEAR:CUSTOM_R]
   [REAGENT:A:1:SKIN_TANNED:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL_LAMELLAR:LEATHER]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_ROBE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:LEATHERWORK]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:40:59 am by Meph »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:02:06 pm »

Quote from: Arcvasti
Quote from: Arcvasti
PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:40:18 am »

For number 5, instead of naked invaders maybe a pack of enemy war beasts that 'tracked' or 'pursued' your raiding team home?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 07:58:40 am »

Either that, or make a naturally-armored dwarf (leaving no items as well), or upgrade the script to allow equipment.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 01:17:26 pm »

What about adding some tame creature for the orcs can have.
  • Type of warg like wolf creature.
  • Poisen spewing little nasty creatures, like kobold sized creatures.
  • An orc hopped on war drugs and berserkerness that is double in sized to normal orcs. It can only be pen so no military of them unless you want to the route of the war golems. but have the tendacy to smush/eat it's other orcs.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 06:08:44 pm »

1. We already have that.
2. Eh, poisons for kobolds.
3. Maybe. Might be interesting.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

As far as suggestions for Orc mode goes, I'd suggest nerfing the common orc's combat skill gain. I currently have 5 legendary spearorcs and its autumn of the second year. Its a tad ridiculous.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 05:09:20 am »

As far as suggestions for Orc mode goes, I'd suggest nerfing the common orc's combat skill gain. I currently have 5 legendary spearorcs and its autumn of the second year. Its a tad ridiculous.
I checked just now. They dont learn spear skill (or any other combat skill) faster than dwarves. Its 100%. Dwarves have 100% as well, but default is "Harder Learning", which makes it 50%. Maybe thats why the orcs are better from your point of view.

But only the rare Olog caste has 150% learn rate in combat skills.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 05:31:15 am »

Don't the Ronin get bonuses to swords and bows?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46