Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Confirm Embark  (Read 3283 times)

Paragon99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confirm Embark
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:00:16 pm »

Often while "preparing carefully" I accidentally press 'e' at the wrong time and end up embarking without spending any embark points, would it be possible to add a confirmation similiar to the aquafier confirmation if you try to embark with embark points remaining? 

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Confirm Embark
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:04:52 pm »

Often while "preparing carefully" I accidentally press 'e' at the wrong time and end up embarking without spending any embark points, would it be possible to add a confirmation similiar to the aquafier confirmation if you try to embark with embark points remaining?
I'd be willing to put up with a confirmation screen that pops up every single time you try to embark.  More than once I thought I hit (N)ew then started typing MEAT only to find myself with seven hungry Dwarves in the wilderness.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pierredavidbelanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:19:02 pm »

I wonder if setting this to YES in the d_init.txt will fix your problem:
Code: [Select]
[EMBARK_WARNING_ALWAYS:NO]

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:25:39 pm »

I wonder if setting this to YES in the d_init.txt will fix your problem:
Code: [Select]
[EMBARK_WARNING_ALWAYS:NO]
Is that for selecting an embark site, or actually embarking?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

pierredavidbelanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:48:47 pm »

I did not tried this.
To be honest, I asked the question a little for myself too :)
I will try this later today.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 03:59:48 pm »

Yeah that init option is just for the embark site.

As for the suggestion. This is UI stuff, and that stuff only gets touched whenever Toady fancies it. It's something that a lot of people have asked for throughout the years, so maybe sometime this decade.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 04:49:48 pm »

A simple confirmation prompt seems like it would take a lot less effort on his part than the other UI-stuff dingbats usually whine about though. I mean, he did add the not-entirely-useful-yet stack splitting to adventure mode recently, so there's hope.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 05:15:33 pm »

I split stacks a lot in adventure mode. What would be really nice there would be stack creation.

Anyway as you can alter your key-bindings so that the embark key is something you aren't likely to press accidentally this doesn't seem like it is all that worth pursuing at the moment.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:19:33 pm »

I've done this before too; this is a good suggestion.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 06:25:29 pm »

Good suggestion. It would take literally like 15 minutes to program.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 04:33:01 pm »

I dunno, honestly sounds kind of annoying. As an OPTION in init.txt or whatever, yes absolutely on board.

As a non-option, blech. Often embark 30-40 times an hour looking for very special terrain stuff, and there's already a lot of redundant screens to click through.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 08:13:36 pm »

I dunno, honestly sounds kind of annoying. As an OPTION in init.txt or whatever, yes absolutely on board.

As a non-option, blech. Often embark 30-40 times an hour looking for very special terrain stuff, and there's already a lot of redundant screens to click through.
Well, I switched my keymapping to ALT-e, so I'm unlikely to hit it accidentally in the future.

A bit off-topic, but I am quite impressed with Dwarf Therapist for its ability to read the dwarves pre-embark.
Just got back, updating:

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:16:03 am »

I've done this a few times too... so it's a good enough idea to steal for my collection!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

I implemented this as a DFHack tweak (the interface is modeled after the "abandon fortress" confirmation, so it's somewhat simplistic, but I can change that if necessary). Thoughts?

(some of the padding is cut off on the sides)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 11:49:12 am »

I implemented this as a DFHack tweak (the interface is modeled after the "abandon fortress" confirmation, so it's somewhat simplistic, but I can change that if necessary). Thoughts?

(some of the padding is cut off on the sides)
I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be to poll this information, but maybe something like:

Really embark?

y: Confirm, Other: Cancel

You have spent 997 of 1000 available embark points.

Urist McEmptyHeaded has used 7 of 10 available skill slots.
Urist McUnskilledLabor has used 0 of 10 available skill slots.
Just got back, updating:
Pages: [1] 2