Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game Request: One with an interesting melee combat with decent tactical options  (Read 1524 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not the first time I ask something of the like, but I'm desperate enough to repeat myself: Is there any game, ideally an RPG, perhaps a roguelike, with a good melee combat system that does have tactical options that are feasible and interesting but not completely overpowering? Ideally turn based or similar, but I'm willing to compromise in this. :P

Or maybe a martial arts RPG? Or anything that have a melee combat more fun than "I stab, you stab, repeat." that seems to be the norm? Jade Empire is out because I already know of it. The obvious answer of DF adventure mode is also out, both because I already know it and because that particular aspect of DF is not nearly polished enough to be the main thing of the game. Mount and Blade, aside from me knowing of it, is not quite what I'm looking for either, for it's focused more on mass combat, with the melee at a duel level being kinda boring.

Hell, if it's a turn based rpg, rogue like or not, I'm willing to take anything that has the option of doing combat maneuvers more complex than just a choice between attacking for damage or spending "mp/ki/whatsoever" for extra damage.

Anything? Please?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

This is gonna be a kind've... odd suggestion.

Age of Wushu. It's a rather terrible game, strictly speaking, but the combat system is more reminiscent of fighting games, and it's an MMO. It's entirely possible to just fight with other people and ignore everything in the actual game and still have a great time, so I'd say it would qualify! Just don't expect a terribly full experience out of it. Basically every other part of it is filler tier.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well Die by the Sword would count i think because you control your sword and shield with the mouse so its entirely organic.
It is pretty old tho.

Then you have the Dark Messiah of might and magic that had a similar idea for melee combat altho its somewhat more... stnadard meaning no more "move mouse = move sword" but the cookie cutter "press LMB = stab/slash".
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

If you have or don't mind getting a Wii and a controller with MotionPlus, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword actually has you swinging your sword in specific directions to defeat certain enemies as well as using your other various tools to good effect (being a Zelda game and all).

It's probably not as deep as you're looking for, and it can be a tad bit difficult as you might not swing the right way if you're not holding the controller perfectly level, but it's playable enough that it's not really frustrating as, even if you're having difficulties with something that's particularly hard, you can usually find an alternate strategy that works. I definitely had fun with it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Overgrowth?

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tobal 2 is a really weird RPG/Fighting game on PS1, it's pretty interesting but very difficult.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neo-scavenger has a slightly more interesting than usual combat system but it's a turn-based sort of game and not exactly action packed. Plus the game itself isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Dark Souls 1/2 is the obvious for complicated reflex based combat, and dark souls 2 is a lot more reliant on working out enemies weaknesses. Have you tried Chivalry: Medieval Warfare? That's supposed to be quite good as well.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile