Yes !
- 3 (37.5%)
OK with custom ports
- 4 (50%)
it would need 1 wrapping
- 0 (0%)
it would need 2 wrappings
- 0 (0%)
No, and it would look too wierd with wrapping.
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 02, 2014, 04:59:26 pm

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 54

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.06: The dead are watching ...  (Read 57106 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.06: War in every continent ! :D
« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:13 am »

So I just killed Ulm's pretender by predicting where he was going to move this turn, and arranging to have an army standing there when he arrived (along with some mages who could cast damage spells right through his protection, but it looks like that wasn't even needed).

Spoiler: pictures (click to show/hide)

The water elementals were all from water bottles that I acquired from his dead scouts and such, too.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:12 am »

So I just killed Ulm's pretender [...] [Bane Lord's pictures
You know that's not a pretender, right ?
that's a bane, lord, just another conjuration commander anyone (with access to death magic) can get...
With nice items and good experience, but only a classic Super Combatant :D

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.06: The dead are watching ...
« Reply #632 on: July 26, 2014, 11:08:28 am »

A pretender pretender, surely.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2014, 11:47:32 am »

Aw, i wanted to at least see how good Dark Skies is. Abysians have darkvision anyway so it's not like it's that bad for you.

Also where the you get all these cool units.. Adventurers,Ethereal knights, that arena fire spirit is normal conjuration thing i suppose ?
I'm more worried about -1 morale per enemy candle, despite my prophet giving crazy +6 morale.
Etheral Knight was an event and was mostly a gaudy troop transporter, since I didn't have the construction to make him into a thug.

Ragnoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2014, 12:08:47 pm »

The ironic thing is he had only taken about 6 point total damage from the troops, then the elementals frm ny own living water bottles hit him for a ton of damage and POOF! 

I am still learning to kit out these guys, he was very effective as a raider, not so much as an SC.

Ragnoff
I am Ulm (Dominions games 406 & 407)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2014, 12:19:47 pm »

The armor was a bad choice :
Ethereal (missed by 75% for non-magic attacks) with 10 protection and 25 def skill.
It means that he will dodge most strikes, but those that will hit him will hit him at nearly full power.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 26, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »

Also where the you get all these cool units.. Adventurers
I got him from an event, just showed up one day.  Wasn't very good though.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 26, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »

Apparently I wasn't paying enough (any) attention to the Bane Lord's name. :P

Looking at old turn files, apparently not only did I mistake him for being Ulm's pretender, I thought that he came from Toemuck Fen 3 turns ago, but that was a completely different Bane Lord (who I also mistook for being Ulm's pretender at the time). :o
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Ragnoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 26, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »

I have something interesting to share after this turn rolls over. (Come on, you KNOW you whant to see another turn today, only 3 players left!)   

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 26, 2014, 01:56:21 pm »

Well, at least you made him loose 55+ gems killing him (counting a 2 gem discount on each item)...
Ok, that may not be a really good news :)

Ragnoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:18 pm »

Ok, the interesting thing is you DID see my pretender on a raid, with one of the Bane Lords in fact, and although it took several more turns to manifest, you did almost kill him!  HE cam back with VERY low hp as he was in one of your high candle provinces, and even when back in my candles, the disease meant not only did his HP not go back to normal, but he was losing 10% of the HP he should have had in my dominion per turn, nearly did not save him in time.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 27, 2014, 02:02:09 am »

Ugh, diseased pretenders...
I got a disease, as a combat affliction, in 4.05, where I was expanding in the early game with a Virtue. And Of course, I had no mean of curing it, so she simply died because she took a bad blow, one year before ... :/
This doesn't make me like expanders.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 27, 2014, 04:29:35 am »

IIRC, the chances of getting afflicted (and thus diseased) go up if you get hit by a large chunk of your legal HP max (so be extra careful when attacking into negative dominion). Virtue has a very low HP pool for a pretender, especially if compared to more traditional expanders like dragons. So while she's likely not to get damaged due to her awe and invulnerability, if she does get hit you'll be singing "bye bye pretender" in no time.

By contrast a dragon can be hit by most things and due to its ridiculous HP pool it's unlikely to be diseased. Though of course any time you get hit there's a miniscule chance of getting diseased, even gods should be considered expendable in that regard.

Regarding virtue in particular. While you can successfully expand with her, in terms of raw expansion efficiency you can't really beat dragons. With virtue you trade off some early efficiency for the fact that midgame onwards you can gear her up and have her cast some of the best buff spells thanks to AS paths. Dragons don't really have the same kind of longevity in usefulness. So (and this is very much a personal opinion) I'd describe virtue as a second rate expander and thus having a bad experience with her shouldn't really reflect your view on "proper" expanders.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 27, 2014, 07:23:51 am »

Or he/she may have caught that disease because I deployed spies with Bane Venom Charms when you invaded.  ;)

Ragnoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 27, 2014, 08:48:14 am »

Possible, but I don't believe I ever had the Titan pretender I was using in the fortress sieges where you were deploying the Bane venom charm (which is proved to be a real POA by the way, well played). It's possible that you are carrying it with a Scout or something that happened to be in the province He Raided and stayed hidden. My pretender was not primarily an expander, in fact he was not awake. But many of the titans when you gear them up can be acceptable Raiders or super combatants when you don't have something else to do with them at the time, which I didn't.

In the meantime, we are gearing up towards a climactic battle, which I can't wait to see! (Oh may the turns to go by quickly).

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 54