Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 23625 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity, or, the Prophets of Allochthon (sheets welcome!)
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 11:08:33 am »

Spoiler: Pilner the Scavenger (click to show/hide)

Are the abilities/god qualities clear enough?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 03:27:55 pm »

That sheet definitely works, yes, though it is a bit wordy.

Would you prefer I make some adjustments to bring down the word count, or leave it as is? I would be happy to cut it down some if needed. Anything else that could use adjustment?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 03:58:32 pm »

Are the abilities/god qualities clear enough?

They certainly are.

Would you prefer I make some adjustments to bring down the word count, or leave it as is? I would be happy to cut it down some if needed. Anything else that could use adjustment?

Oh, no need. Just a side note of mine, really.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 05:08:47 pm »

Ok, thanks. Even if I just end up on the wait list I look forward to seeing how this turns out, it seems like a really cool concept.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »

Okay, time to choose our prophets! So, the sheets, according to my interpretation. Enjoy a ride into the murky depths of my reading comprehension mechanism:

- Derek Pinenut, ex-boatman, cripple, fire mage and all-around drunken, naked, burning eejit.
  - Karse, jovial god who likes wanton nudity and dislikes asymmetry.
- Ethereal, blue mage and scholar, with loose lips and a very well-founded fear of being skewered in melee combat. Got slipped the most awful of mickeys by a nasty fairy.
  - Celestia, wise, with a penchant for learning and a dislike of being rushed.
- Rasseth Issaeyl, crazy old priest who may or may not kill you to make sure you are born again (depends on several things, but particularly whether his evil counterpart personality born of extensive magic use emerges), possibly with lightning shooting out of his palms.
  - Mersoth, kind, likes rebirth, dislikes things not dying more often.
- Wilhelm, actually three different guys. May hit things, sell things or pretend to be things, depending on what happened during his nap.
  - That Darn Whiner, whiny, with a fondness for the shinies and a low boredom threshold.
- Valelion, a lady who is basically synonymous with the woods and, by all reasonable measures, kind of a forest troglodyte. Decided to take up prophecy after a fateful encounter with an unusual bear followed by a distinctly supernatural experience.
  - Nocturnal, secretive, likes the woods and doesn't like fire, or light, for that matter.
- Emilia Forester, a professional in great demand just about anywhere in these dire times, though nonetheless interested in expanding her business to other areas, usually not in the way you'd think.
  - Dithmenos, manipulative, likes a good plan, not a big fan of people not thinking ahead, dammit!
- Edwin Laoren, trained since adolescence to be a wise old man with martial arts mastery to match, driven to prophecy by the fascinating remnants of a refreshing cup of tea.
  - Orange Pekoe, wise, likes peaceful solutions, doesn't like it when people stoop to violence when there's perfectly good alternatives.
- Brennus, a man who lives in the woods because the law is out to get him, and quite the nasty bugger by all accounts. Decided to take up prophecy after a fateful encounter with an unusual bear followed by a distinctly supernatural experience.
  - The Great Huntsman, savage, likes strength, doesn't like weakness.
- Pilner, scavenging vagrant from the east, screwed over by those dang thieving orcs, his prophetic fate was set in motion by a sound chair-braining.
  - The Crafter, creative, with a fondness for creativity and dislike for disrespect toward human creativity and ingenuity (property damage in particular).

Based on that, I shall now work my GM whimsy and decide who gets in! One moment... done! Very difficult choice here, to be honest. Significantly more difficult than in Kingspawn of Allochthon, which had what, twice or thrice as many applicants? But I have persevered and truncated this list, and I urge whoever is mentioned here to report to the thread within the next two days with their color of choice and maybe an appropriate IC catchphrase you'd hear on a character selection screen.
  • Derek Pinenut (lawastooshort)
  • Wilhelm (Wwolin)
  • Emilia Forester (IcyTea31)
  • Edwin Laoren (Pancaek)
  • Brennus (Arkansan)
This next paragraph is dedicated to those who have not been chosen. Fear not, as Allochthon can be a dangerous place for those not adhering to strict safety guidelines, such as anybody traveling about or slinging seditious ideas at the local populace or worse, the Four Plagues. So you might get in in the not too distant future. As to why you weren't chosen, well, that's a good question. In Ethereal and Varee's case it was more that their prophet and god basic concepts didn't particularly grab me (although Ethereal's blue magic and "potty mouth" would have brought him much closer to inclusion had they been more defined - a blue mage with magic-assisted Hollywood Tourette's may very well have gotten in). Sinvara's prophet was close with his dark side and Sith lightning potential, but his mess of bonuses and negatives was a bit too disjointed, sadly. And after that, it came down mostly to Pilner (fun traits) and Brennus (maximum savagery) - chose the latter largely because God in this scenario turns out to be a bit of a whining, scheming pacifist, which is an interesting thing to combine Hircine-typical traits with. The player's stories of enlightenment, which seems like something a lot of players fixated on, judging from the sheets themselves, was pretty much a tertiary concern, and most of the decision making was based on examination of traits and god stuff. Also, stories of enlightenment with a greater word count were far less likely to be read thoroughly. So that's the thought process behind all of that, in case you were wondering.

Now I wait for our chosen prophets to report in! And I'm also sending them PMs, just in case. Haven't quite tallied the godly bits yet, but I'll do that after the playerlist reports in. Should be a very different god than last time.

Nunzillor

Re: Birth of a Deity, or, the Prophets of Allochthon (prophets chosen!)
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 08:22:58 pm »

Yay for progress!  I look forward to seeing how this develops.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:41:14 pm by Nunzillor »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 09:14:30 pm »

D'awww.  Hope you at least read the description of the vision- that was the best part of that bit.

I will valiantly await death or disappearance to provide opportunity!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 09:49:58 pm »

Reporting in! Can't think of a phrase off the top of my head, but if I do I will edit the post.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2014, 12:32:06 am »

I can't think of anything sensible for the moment!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 02:24:07 am »

"All's fair in love and war!"

I'll be on a trek to the wild from 9th June to 14th, expect posts to be irregular. On that note, what will be the rough update frequency?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2014, 03:15:33 am »

"All's fair in love and war!"

I'll be on a trek to the wild from 9th June to 14th, expect posts to be irregular. On that note, what will be the rough update frequency?

Oh, once per three days or so, sooner if everybody posts. You'll miss a turn, maybe two at most.

Speaking of that, when will the waitlist appear?

Right when I'm sure that nobody's disappeared since applying.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:19:57 am by Harry Baldman »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 06:14:07 am »

Old man reporting for duty. "To win without fighting, is that not the greatest victory of all?"

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 06:17:59 am »

Well it will be fun reading even if i dont actually get to play. Also i just realise how brennus story is similar to mine:P
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2014, 12:41:23 pm »

Huzzah, I'm in! Now, for a catchphrase. Hrmm... how about "And just when I thought I'd done it all..."
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2014, 03:10:13 pm »

Well it will be fun reading even if i dont actually get to play. Also i just realise how brennus story is similar to mine:P

Yeah sorry about that. I only read the example before posting mine, then I went back browsed the other submissions but it was a done deal by then. Great minds think alike I suppose.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21