Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 23136 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Birth of a Deity, or, the Prophets of Allochthon
An RTD of Gods and Plagues, and All That Is Caught In Between

Times have grown harsh in the lands of humanity, the great unified kingdom of Allochthon. Ravenous, savage orcs terrorize the east, the dead walk in the west, the south is engulfed in the fires of a reemerging dragonkind and the north has grown still and treacherous with faces of false friends. And in the middle of it all, a powerless, or perhaps merely an unwilling king and his men, both with their backs to the wall as the dark powers converge on the limp remnants of human civilization. Unity of man is but a dream, and the land is on the brink of total chaos. Humanity as a whole can smell its death on the air.

With all that in mind, one could very easily see how the average man and woman might be driven to all sorts of things: murder and cowardice, altruism and cooperation, and, of course, prayer. Of these, prayer seems most futile – the Sun and the Moon care not, for humanity is but a speck in an infinite expanse of time to them, and the Gatekeeper has never been known to help without also harming in equal measure. But they pray nevertheless, and though the gods remain aloof, something does happen – the Great Gate, pathway between this world and the next, slowly lurches open, wider than it ever has in the past, and a presence, immense in size yet imperceptible to any mortal eye, slips into the world, seeking and immediately finding five minds, who would soon realize their role in the events to come, to direct its power and decide its path. Thus happens the birth of a brand new deity, one unlike any that humanity has seen before, and one more directly involved in mortal affairs at that.

Spoiler: Prophet Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Miracle System (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Prophet Progression (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:37:19 pm by Harry Baldman »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity, or, the Prophets of Allochthon (sheets welcome!)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:58:21 am »

The Prophets and The God

God, sometimes called Karse, Orange Pekoe, Dithmenos, the Crafter or even the Creator, is, on one hand, quite pleasant, being a creative, wise, and yet jovial sort. But underneath this surface layer hides quite a manipulative streak. Being a reclusive sort, God does not like to appear before believers as a general rule - it would be cheating, after all. The great pleasures of God are somewhat problem-oriented - it enjoys being five steps ahead, for one, and also solutions to problems that are both creative and peaceful, though the more physical virtues of wanton nudity and hard work are no less important to it. It detests unwarranted hostility and violence as a first solution, and even destruction of anything man-made - violence in general is anathema to it, as is the short-sighted behavior that it signifies. Also disliked is the frightful notion of asymmetry, which is unnatural and not in accordance with God's plan.

Speaking of prophets, here they are:

Spoiler: Derek the Naked Jackal (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Emilia Forester (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Edwin Laoren (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pilner the Scavenger (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jim (click to show/hide)

The Waitlist

People who can get in will be inducted based on a vote between the active players and also depending on who's actually available.
  • Ethereal - Ethereal
  • Varee - Valelion
  • Kaferian - Cuhullin

Cold Storage

Spoiler: Brennus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wilhelm (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:23:41 pm by Harry Baldman »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:59:01 am »

Things You Know!

Set the First: A Basic Primer on Allochthon

Spoiler: Entry 4: On Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Entry 5: On The Gods (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:23:28 am by Harry Baldman »

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:03:04 am »

Wow. This is really detailed and also complicated at the same time. Really like it. I do wish to ask a question first. Regarding miracles, is it possible for two or more players to cast a single miracle in order to like strengthen the miracle's effect or simply halve the MP cost between themselves?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:10:20 am »

Wow. This is really detailed and also complicated at the same time. Really like it. I do wish to ask a question first. Regarding miracles, is it possible for two or more players to cast a single miracle in order to like strengthen the miracle's effect or simply halve the MP cost between themselves?

Makes sense for it to work that way, yes, though it probably means that two prophets can simply share the cost for the same miracle between them in any proportions, which in turn would allow for larger miracles for divided costs.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:51:08 am »

Spoiler: Derek the Naked Jackal (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:16:39 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 07:58:20 am »

Pre-enlightenment profession: Able boatman (knows how to communicate with drunkards, magic ability tbc, bendy legs)

Possibly I did not clarify this enough - if you have magic, that necessitates an additional physical or mental deformity on top of the regular penalties - thus you would need another one, although I could see myself making an exception in the case of a deformity like this, given how far-reaching its effects would be.

Ethereal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:44:40 pm »

Name: Ethereal

Pre-enlightenment profession: (This might seem a bit messed up, I'm a bit confused on this part.)
Scholar - Able to understand/learn/remember quickly.
Memory Magic - Able to recreate magic he's seen/used before.
"Potty Mouth" - There's a chance he might speak of information in which should not be said/spoken of.
Close Combat Anxiety - When fighting with a melee weapon, he will struggle.

Story of enlightenment:
Ethereal wasn't always a socialized soul. Well, who could blame him? He was born into a family of scholars, where they considered society to be a mere distraction to pure knowledge. He grew up in a library, not a park or anything of the sorts. He was home-schooled. His family believed public education was another blockade to pure knowledge. They believed that pure knowledge is gained from books and other humans that know of pure knowledge. When other kids would be playing in the park, he'd be in his home, in the library, reading books. However, his glorious times in the library did pay off. He secretly began to read on magic...not just any magic. Forbidden magic, Memory Make, to be exact. He learned to create magic that he's previously seen. Albeit, he did keep it a secret from his family. He didn't want them to exploit his pure knowledge.

At such a young age, he knew he was far more advanced than any other scholar in the kingdom. He embraced his isolation from the real world, allowing him to practice his reading and magic skills. The books he read, mostly about magic, began to seep into his inner mind, allowing for true knowledge. Lies and truths were nothing but mere illusions to him. In his teenage years, his family began to wonder what he did in the library. They noticed his pattern of entering the library became more frequent. They would occasionally drop by, knock on the door and ask what he was doing. He always gave the same answer, "Reading books.", his family took it. Meanwhile, in the library, he would be practicing fire magic, necromancy and matter manipulation.

That's when his secret came out. During family supper, he began to speak words of magic that his family didn't understand. Luckily, that's a good thing. The words he spoke, were a binding spell he had read up earlier. He didn't realize his mouth moving until his family began to yell. He looked at them, confused. He noticed they were tied up to their chairs. Not with rope, no. His magic was far beyond such useless pieces of string, his family was tied with air. Gravity Magic. He had mixed the two spells he had read earlier, and used them on his family. The countless apologies from him flooded his families ears. They didn't wanna listen. Their hearts were broken, not because he's using magic, but because he lied to them.

That night, he left his home. He managed to free his family, however. Hours after the incident, he had written a note to his family, about his departure. He would leave when the sun set, into the forest. He was in search for one of the four plagues. To vanquish him from this world, for he believed he was not fit. During his adventure to the north, to see if he could find the False Men, he discovered a fairy. The fairy began to ask about his journey. He had lied, of course. He told about his adventure to search for herbs and plants to aid his family, for they have caught a disease. Being a fairy, she knew the truth. She secretly hid the knowledge of knowing, and went along with his story. The fairy had accompanied him, blocking him from his real goal...death. She had formed specific plants, pretending that these plants had powerful healing qualities. He took them, unaware that these plants would show him what death was like...the torture of it.

When he was sleeping, the fairy took it upon herself to use the plant on him. She found a mortar and began to beat on the plants with a stick she found. The plant crumbled in the bowl as she poured it onto her hand. With the plant in hand, she threw it onto Ethereal. His body began to sink into the ground. He woke up, midway through the quicksand and began to scream in pain. The fairy began to tell of her knowledge, how she knew he was searching for the False Men to kill him. She also explained how death is painful, to the soul of the person and his or her family. Ethereal cried a bit, he didn't realize his family would care. At the end of the speech, the fairy let Ethereal go. He thanked the fairy and went back home. Hoping to walk into open arms...however, he didn't. He stood in front of a pile of wood. His house and transfigured itself into a pile of sticks and stones. Where was his family? He didn't know. He spent the rest of the night, on the ground, crying himself to sleep.

That morning, he woke up. Crying, of course. That's when it happened. Light had struck the pile of wood. Ethereal was blinded by this light. When it had subsided, he was there. His god, Celestia.

Suggestions for the New God:
Celestia is Wise. She likes learning new things/reading books. She dislikes being rushed.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:40:33 am by Ethereal »

blazing glory

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 04:11:30 pm »

EDIT Nevermind,any RTD that require's verbose character sheet's gets me put on the wait list,I don't exactly have much of a chance against the competition.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:54:58 pm by blazing glory »

Nunzillor

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:08:58 pm »

Good luck with this one!  I won't join, but I will be reading.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 06:00:13 pm »

EDIT Nevermind,any RTD that require's verbose character sheet's gets me put on the wait list,I don't exactly have much of a chance against the competition.
He does state that verbosity comes second to interesting ideas.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 07:45:51 pm »

Spoiler: Wilhelm (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:32:15 pm by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

blazing glory

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 09:04:37 pm »

He does state that verbosity comes second to interesting ideas.

And I have no idea what would make a idea an interesting idea,plus verbosity is still a factor.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:02 am »

PTW!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 07:50:52 am »

Am interested, will be making sheet after i read the text wall

Spoiler: Valelion (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:08:41 pm by Varee »
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21