Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: ☼GUI☼ - Everything about the Launcher  (Read 27518 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
☼GUI☼ - Everything about the Launcher
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:00:21 am »

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼GUI☼ - Everything about the Launcher
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:03:37 am »

Please post all discussion, questions, suggestions and bug reports for Launcher in this thread. Thank you.

There are several new features for the GUI planned, next release will for example feature Profiles you can load, save and edit. Since I know that people will have questions, I rather make the thread first. I also have a long list of wanted features that splinterz and me exchanged, I think it is time for the community to have a word.

So yeah. This is the place for everything related to the launcher. If you muck up settings, generate errorlogs, manage to break the worldgen, find bugs... just post it here. :)

List of suggestions. Actually 4 months old, but its still good. ;) And just a note for everyone: While I did do the first GUI, Splinterz is now exclusively working on it. The code behind it got to complex for me. Its all his work. :)

- Toggling guns, landmines, turrets, everything too high tech for 1400-hundrets, completely off.
Currently you can only toggle the workshops, but traders still bring them, as do sieges. Larger project. Maybe best done with profiles?

- Toggling mages, and everything too magical for historical 1400-hundrets completely off.
Currently people can disable most things, but they still arrive as migrants. Larger project. Maybe best done with profiles?

- Expand the "English Dwarves" to "English Language".
It currently changes the dwarven civ to use plain english. This could be expanded to all civs, or at least all playable civs.

- Link the dwarven guilds to the guildhall button.
If people deactivate the guildhall, the guilds should be gone as well.

- Link the dwarven military groups to the garrison button.
If people deactive the garrison, the groups should be gone as well.

- Link the altars to the specific mages in the same fashion.
No black altar = no black mages as possible migrants. No Mages Guild = No arcane dwarves. This would also require that the "elemental altars" button will be splitted. (Or not, if people disable it, all fire/earth/water/air mages are disabled, but I have the feeling that many people would only disable the fire mages.)

- Init.lua/Onload.lua option for GUI.
If a init.lua file is in the raw folder when a save is generated, this init.lua will be copied to the save and runs specific scripts. Putnam once wrote a monthly quicksave script, but I never figured out how to set this up in the GUI. People could active "Monthly Quicksave", and then generate a world, and this world would quicksave. If they deactivate the button, the next world they gen, does not quicksave. But if they reload the old world (which still has the init.lua in the save raws), it will quicksave again.

- Playtest-Mode button.
Adds a cheat workshop with cheat reactions that spawn about everything. People like BillyJack and other people that like to test things in new versions could use this. Or newbs that just want to have a look at the features of the mod.

- Enabling/Disabling dfhack
Simple button that replaces the SDL.dll with the original, stopping dfhack from booting. Good for debugging, to check if dfhack causes a crash. Most people dont know that its the SDL that starts dfhack.

- A DFHACK section/tab, which toggles entries in the dfhack.init.
Toggling dwarfmonitor, siege-engine-control, rendermax, digginginvaders, workflow, quicksave and the like. Its a bit superfluous, but I think many people simply dont know about the dfhack scripts that they are missing out on. If there is a nice, graphic tab that says: Quicksave is enabled, press 'Q' ingame, then more people will use it. Same for the others. They will be like: "What the heck is X?" and try it out. And seeing the hotkeys now and then doesnt hurt either.

There is only war
 - Adding another set of optional entities/invaders. Similar to FD races. Maybe take 2-3 signature races from other major mods, like CivForges Xelics, LfRs Shedims, Genesis Fallen Ones... might be obsolete considering the race update I do plan.

Phrasing on Creature Generator Tooltip
"This tool generates random creatures and possibly civilizations" (in the other creatures tab) could be "This tool generates random creatures, megabeasts and civilizations that trade or siege you." Just to make it clearer that there are civs and megabeasts.

- Options for embark group size and embark points
If there is any way to add the "dwarves" and the "points" script, which determine the starting dwarves and embark points, to the init.lua, then two textbox options could be added, in which people can chose their embark party and points. Default would be 7 and 1350. I asked in the dfhack thread about this, lets see if its possible.

- Active season option for all races on the civ tab
Maybe some people want 2 dwarven caravans, or are sick of the constant goblin/orc caravans they are getting when they play orcs. Others would like to make Gnomes or Warlocks more active. Minor suggestion.

- 'Harder Nobles' button
Raises the demands, mandates and requirements for nobles.

- 'Harder Tantrums' button
Changes personality values in the creature files to make dwarves tantrum more easily.

- Link 'Harder Farming' to the clutch size of birds.
Currently they are reduces all the time. OR split it, and make one 'Harder Plant Farming' for farmplots and one 'Harder Animal Farming', which lowers the litter sizes and clutch sizes of pets.

- 'Harder Embark'.
A bit experimental, but I can remove the skills from embark that you can usually train. The 10 points you give dwarves... the entity permitted_jobs toggle that, and if I remove all of them, people can only give their dwarves military and social skills. No learned laborers at embark. I am not entirely sure how this affects worldgen (for example I removed mining, but could still embark with stone), so some testing has to be done. Just letting you know its possible.

- 'Harder Megabeasts' button.
Lowers the treshhold for megabeast attacks. They have triggers like entities in their creature files, which can be affected.

- 'Harder Titans' button.
Same thing, but in the data/world_gen.txt. TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:x:x:x, across all tilesets.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:25:27 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:38:03 pm »

Yay! First question for me!
The GUI appears to be too big for my little laptop screen, so some pages (especially the civ one) can't be fully seen (I can't see the human bandit tab and everything under it, for example) and there's no way I can see them. Also, the "Launch DF" and the Utilities tab appear completely black (I have to put the cursor some seconds above the black space for it to tell me what each thing is. So, Is there a way I can fix it?
PS: I'm not using the lastest version of the mod (I'm using the one before that I think), so can you tell me if it's something that was fixed n the update?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:47:14 pm »

You can change the "black tab" problem by changing the theme. The blue one should be fine for this, its less fancy than the default. Its on the top bar, next to donate and about.

The second problem cant be fixed, sorry. You need a higher resolution. I think my netbook would have the same problem. Maybe we can make it a bit smaller, once the civ tab is changed. There is a change planned for it in future.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:22:02 pm »

just started the gui and i get an error with the digging invaders and razing invaders, from messing with the profiles and from toggling either setting
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 04:26:43 pm »

- digging invaders and razing invaders => I am aware. It works on Splinterz system, not on mine... I decided to risk it and release it as is. Worst case is that people cant activate those scripts with the GUI. Which is not that bad, because these scripts are the ones causing the crashes anyway. Which might be fixed now, but only longer test forts will show.

- messing with the profiles => Define "messing with the profiles". Even if you get an error message (about the digging/razing invaders) the profiles will be correctly saved and edited.

- and from toggling either setting => What exactly do you mean?

Are all three errors the same? Like "Invalid/Missing Tokens: #RAZING/DIGGING DiggingInvaders" ?

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 04:40:45 pm »

i mean messing with the profiles as in trying to make a hard profile and switching profiles around to see what the default and easy had set but was given this error
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i also got an error when trying to save a new profile: "The selected profile could not be saved."
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at MasterworkDwarfFortress.MainForm.saveSettings(String strPath)
which it added the item to the list of profile settings but no new file in the actual folder
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »

What OS and .NET-Framework version are you using?

EDIT: (He pm'ed me, using windows 7 sp1 and .net version 4)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:03:29 pm by Meph »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 05:14:53 pm »

yeah digging/razing buttons are still broken, sometimes.

brk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:29:40 pm »

Is there a reason that it requires elevation when trying to launch DF or any of the tools? I'm a little puzzled by this - is this normal behavior?

Can I make changes using the GUI launch and then launch DF and the tools individually to avoid this behavior?

(looks like a really cool mod though)

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:43 am »

i've updated the source and the exe note: the df/raw files are not update on the repo, just save the exe if you want to test it directly

- fixed digging/razing buttons
- removed the admin requirements for utilities (needs testing)

also, i'd suggest removing nano and embark everywhere, since there are scripts for both of them in dfhack

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 03:50:36 am »

i mean messing with the profiles as in trying to make a hard profile and switching profiles around to see what the default and easy had set but was given this error

i also got an error when trying to save a new profile: "The selected profile could not be saved."
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at MasterworkDwarfFortress.MainForm.saveSettings(String strPath)
which it added the item to the list of profile settings but no new file in the actual folder
was that the full error details?

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:04:49 am »

edit: switched images to imgur :p
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:08:44 am by zach123b »
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 05:05:50 am »

The pics dont work, they are not public. Maybe use imgur?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 06:12:13 am »

edit: switched images to imgur :p
ok and to reproduce it: you're just clicking the new profile button, that's it? are you doing anything else before that?

EDIT: i think i've found it. try creating a profile with the world gen option/checkbox off
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:19:23 am by splinterz »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9