Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: ☼GUI☼ - Everything about the Launcher  (Read 27734 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: ☼GUI☼ - Everything about the Launcher
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2014, 07:38:04 pm »

How do I edit my settings with the Mac version? I can't seem to find it.
EDIT: Also, how do I change my parent civ when embarking in Fortress Mode.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:24:38 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2014, 08:40:04 pm »

For choosing your civ in during embark: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143091.msg5619893#msg5619893

As for editing, I am afraid that unless you aare willing to at least temporarily run the launcher in a window box (or whatever the emulation is called), you'll have to do your editing of the raws by hand.
I seriously don't recommand it, because it's easy to mess up and screw things up, given the amount of lines you would need to edit for even the small options from the launcher.

Just out of curiosity, does the game with mod run fine on OSX?
I always thought that you needed a special version of the game (the executable part), and no clue about dfhack working on it.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2014, 09:24:07 pm »

There's a fan-made download for Mac, but not everything appears to work 100% as intended. I think I'll postpone trying Masterwork until I've experienced more of vanilla, mostly because of the headaches with the technical stuff. Also, just wondering, what sort of guns does the mod add? Are they high or low tech, and how useful are they?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2014, 02:56:43 am »

what sort of guns does the mod add? Are they high or low tech, and how useful are they?

The guns which are commonly available, pistol/flachette/musket, are relatively low tech.  Generally they are a bit more complicated to craft and arm than other weapons, needing special workshops and brass, steel, gunpowder, etc. They do a particularly good job piercing armor (so a good candidate for crippling the enemy with poisoned ammo or just chipping-the-bone pain), but otherwise don't seem to have as much killing power as good old bodkins.    Handcannons can be devastating but really heavy to haul around, and ammo can be in short supply. 

There are some high tech guns to play around with too. They're effective, if pretty complicated to craft.  I don't know that they're more useful than the high-end conventional ranged weapons though. Orcish composite bows are simple to craft and quite deadly enough, while Dwarven upgraded crossbows/javelin launchers and Elvish greatbows are just brutal.

#################
(really quick search - probably not complete)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2014, 03:06:27 pm »

what sort of guns does the mod add? Are they high or low tech, and how useful are they?

The guns which are commonly available, pistol/flachette/musket, are relatively low tech.  Generally they are a bit more complicated to craft and arm than other weapons, needing special workshops and brass, steel, gunpowder, etc. They do a particularly good job piercing armor (so a good candidate for crippling the enemy with poisoned ammo or just chipping-the-bone pain), but otherwise don't seem to have as much killing power as good old bodkins.    Handcannons can be devastating but really heavy to haul around, and ammo can be in short supply. 

There are some high tech guns to play around with too. They're effective, if pretty complicated to craft.  I don't know that they're more useful than the high-end conventional ranged weapons though. Orcish composite bows are simple to craft and quite deadly enough, while Dwarven upgraded crossbows/javelin launchers and Elvish greatbows are just brutal.

#################
(really quick search - probably not complete)
Woah! These are really cool, and they can have bayonets! I was looking at the wiki, and I saw that other ranged weapons can also have blades, so that's really cool. I'll have to try this sometime. It seems like they'd take a long time to reload, so I guess that's the trade-off for piercing power.
Retired/Extended Sigs

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »

I think that the reload time vs. power balance will be much easier for modders to work with once it's ported to DF2014, using the new weapon recovery time mechanic, and so there will probably be more diversity in the capabilities of the various guns & etc.  Unfortunately there wasn't a clean way to separate reload time from projectile velocity in DF2012.

It's still fun to play around with the different guns in the current MDF, there were tricks you can play with projectile mass, force, area, which still makes it so that the different kinds of guns have different kinetic effects.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:17:00 pm by smakemupagus »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »

I think I'll try it after it updates to 40, probably on Windows, since Mac doesn't work. I did a bit of testing in adventure mode, and it definitely seems cool. Fortress just doesn't want to work, though.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2014, 03:25:21 pm »

One thing I'd like in the GUI would be something to make animals trainable and tameable.

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:05 am »

Found a bug in the 6.1 gui. When turning off Succubus in the launcher Dwarves are also switched off as a playable race. (edit) After I did this I did gen a new world.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:12:23 am by Hefateus »

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2014, 12:31:23 am »

Being a Mac user, I finally got Wine running, only to be bitterly disappointed when the launcher crashes on launch. Is there anything known about this?
Here's the terminal log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dunno what this is, looks like some internal errors. Could use some help here.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2014, 12:43:34 am »

I'd say that there is a high probability that it comes from wine having an old version of .net.

As far as google could tell me, wine uses .net 3.5, and the game and launcher require the .net 4 framework.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2014, 12:50:42 am »

This log of events is getting a little too long, so here's a neat spoiler tag.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finally, I just downloaded the outdated mac version and smashed the newest version in there. Seems to work so far, I've already gotten started with a small Warlock fort. Looking forward to playing around with all this cool stuff in the future!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:41:57 am by thegamemaster1234 »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2014, 12:53:01 am »

I know there is a linux version, that seems to be running fine (never tried it myself), and the theory would say that it has high probabilities to run on an other Unix-based system that is macosx.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2014, 10:19:36 am »

I've been running my linux version of MDF6.1 for a while now, no issues.  Most of the related packages can be compiled from source (dfhack, DT) - on linux, anyway.

I cannot get .NET working on my own box (get that same MainForm error reported above), so cannot use the GUI, but have heard that others have gotten it to work.  I included a couple of cheeseball scripts I wrote to edit the raw files in-place - they don't do everything, and may not even be doing it correctly, but they're better than nothing ...

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »

It does not seem the the giant animal or animal-men options work in the GUI (at least I'm still getting animal men).  I'm guessing that [DOES_NOT_EXIST] isn't a tag that a variation can add.  Even if that did work, it looks like the options are reversed in that having the box checked adds the tag (which would remove the variation).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9