Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clay-festation  (Read 1727 times)

Jawarisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clay-festation
« on: May 30, 2014, 03:46:11 am »

So I usually build my farm in the first few layers, where there's soil, clay or whatever is needed for farms. I usually also have some stockpiles near there, but there's this one problem that is ALWAYS an issue.

After a while (few seconds) The floor starts getting these wierd colors and young spore trees as well as mushrooms and plenty of other annoyances start to join in. I cannot make a farm over them and stockpiles will look like swiss cheese if I even dare trying to place one. Once matured, I can usually cut down the trees or gather the plants, but more youngsters are usually there by then, and it's a never ending spiral of annoyance on my top floors.

Is there any way to sanitize, remove, exterminate or do a genocide on such plants?

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clay-festation
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:15:42 am »

Build your farms \ setup stockpiles before you breach the caverns - Cave moss and spore trees only start to grow when you've breached the underground caves, once this happens the cats out of the bag and you can't stop the growth on empty tiles.

Building and destroying a road on the tiles returns them to an useable dirt state. Dirt roads work fine, paved roads are better for wet passages that need to remain open.

Edit:- You could alternatively build your farms and stockples further down - flood an area and build the farms on muddy stone before the cave moss starts to grow, or create a giant light tunnel leading to the surface and grow surface plants 20 z-levels underground (cave moss can't grow in sunlight).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:21:41 am by Victor6 »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 12:10:59 pm »

After a while (few seconds) The floor starts getting these wierd colors and young spore trees as well as mushrooms and plenty of other annoyances start to join in.

Man, I wish I could get underground trees to pop up that quickly!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 12:59:09 pm »

When you breach caverns, the spores spread in your fort and start growing on all underground soil tiles.

You can build floors to prevent that. You can remove these floors if you decide to build a farm plot or something else there. If you are using a tile to gather clay or sand, you can build a floor grate on it, it will prevent stuff from growing while allowing you to gather clay/sand.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:07:18 pm »

In a pinch you can also build a dirt road over them. Dirt roads are not actual objects, they just clean all vegetation on tiles down to the soil (of course the vegetation will slowly grow back unless you do something more permanent after that).
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Jawarisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 01:54:52 am »

When you breach caverns, the spores spread in your fort and start growing on all underground soil tiles.

You can build floors to prevent that. You can remove these floors if you decide to build a farm plot or something else there. If you are using a tile to gather clay or sand, you can build a floor grate on it, it will prevent stuff from growing while allowing you to gather clay/sand.
Great advice about the grate! Thanks!

Build your farms \ setup stockpiles before you breach the caverns - Cave moss and spore trees only start to grow when you've breached the underground caves, once this happens the cats out of the bag and you can't stop the growth on empty tiles.

Building and destroying a road on the tiles returns them to an useable dirt state. Dirt roads work fine, paved roads are better for wet passages that need to remain open.

Edit:- You could alternatively build your farms and stockples further down - flood an area and build the farms on muddy stone before the cave moss starts to grow, or create a giant light tunnel leading to the surface and grow surface plants 20 z-levels underground (cave moss can't grow in sunlight).

It happens way before for me. The only new thing those cavern add is the tunnel tubes. Or maybe something wierd and I'm too dumb to notice. Thanks though. I'll do that next time, great to know that roads eradicates them.

After a while (few seconds) The floor starts getting these wierd colors and young spore trees as well as mushrooms and plenty of other annoyances start to join in.

Man, I wish I could get underground trees to pop up that quickly!
Don't make wishes you'll regret

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 02:37:14 am »

You can also use stockpiles to suppress the growth of plants and trees. I believe that grass still grows under them, but plants and trees seem to not.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:01:42 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 08:59:29 am »

It happens way before for me. The only new thing those cavern add is the tunnel tubes. Or maybe something wierd and I'm too dumb to notice. Thanks though. I'll do that next time, great to know that roads eradicates them.

Normally this shouldn't happen if you've never breached the caverns. you may have a cave on the map, however there was some bug back in 2011 that caused a similar issue. Like most DFbugs it's either weaponized or worked around.

Dfhack has an extirpate command to remove trees and grass - You can certainly use this clear areas that you need for planting \ building. the ' feature ' Command lists the various cavern layers and marks them as discovered\undiscovered, so it may help explain the issue.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:58:37 pm »

If you have previously opened the caverns in another fortress in the same biome(? I think), then future fortresses will immediately grow moss and plants.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 12:49:17 am »

If you're going to build a farm, just construct a dirt road over the spot. All shrubs and treesprouts will be replaced with furrowed dirt. This works aboveground too, but it doesn't remove pebbles or boulders.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Jawarisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:05:33 pm »

Thought I'd just resurrect this post since building dirt roads now remove the wet-ness of the ground. My cavern is seriously annoyed at this:
http://puu.sh/bEH0r/99bb364564.png

This is now a multicolored festival, and all the nearly-pi sign are young goblin-cap or tunnel-tube and what'snot.

Did 40.xx.xx bring anything new to deal with this??