Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 130531 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1125 on: June 27, 2021, 05:18:14 pm »

HMB1 looks like some sort of Value brand fusion of Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck. There is something extremely unsettling about how little his facial features want to be near each other.

Oh my god.

I was talking about this golden butt-nugget of cinema earlier today, and had to show off a picture of this specimen, when something jangled some bells in the back of my head and I had to do a little digging. Didn't take very long before I confirmed my suspicions; the bells were right.

I have met this person.

I don't mean "Ha ha, yeah, relatable!", I mean I fucking went to Disneyland with the actor when we were kids.

This will irrevocably change my appreciation of this film from here on out. I feel a teensy bit bad about saying those things now.

But I wasn't wrong.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 29, 2021, 02:42:04 am »

I thought the scorpion king was a spinoff of the mummy, and why make five scorpion king moves the first one wasn't that good.
♩BUT IT WASN'T A ROCK
IT WAS A ROCK LOBSTER♩
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 07, 2021, 07:41:49 pm »

The Tomorrow War (Prime video)

Overall, a decent enough action movie.  Guess I'd give it a 7/10 or so.  It had some questionable plot issues, but I don't want to toss out a lot of spoilers.  Nice change that the scientists were more of the hero focus though.

And another one, 4 or so years old, but a pretty fantastic one - Spectral (Netflix).  Highly recommend it, if you haven't watched it already.

I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 08, 2021, 02:12:31 am »

So, within a couple of weeks I'm probably going to go and see what is actually being shown at one of the actual big screens around here[1]. I'm probably interested in Black Widow, less so in Mission Impossible[2], I'll probably hang back on F&F[3] (not sure when those are due, actually, but I've heard them proposed as imminent cinema-releases), but there'll probably also be some "In case you missed it" (re)releases as well, especially outside the blockbuster genre, and I'll have to work to schedule things (and across establishments, chain and independant) so I don't miss my chance again.

Ultimately, I'd hope to sate myself sufficiently with other things prior to Bond's autumn release to not have make any hard timing decisions by then, but I'm not sure if the pipeline of new stuff will have been sufficiently unstuck by then to then feed me, and maybe I'll slip back into my splurge-then-fallow watching habits, where I inevitably don't realise I've missed a personal intersting film because it came on and went off either when I was still catching other thibgs or when I thought there was nothing at all to my taste...

[1] I still don't have any of the Netprimey+ type subscriptions, and no obvious reason to start now.

[2] Unless.. and I'll have to check, I'm one MI film behind in my series watching, which I want to rectify before I continue. Also, I always prefered the Batman Gambit focus of the original TV series, and it's added just too much Determinator to the mix in its movie form, in an attempt to out-Bond Bond...

[3] Several of the series behind, I think.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 08, 2021, 03:03:44 am »

Spectral

Fun drinking game: Take a shot every time the term "Bose-Einstein Condensate" is mentioned.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 08, 2021, 11:21:28 pm »

Watched Dog Day Afternoon for the first time recently. Might legitimately be my favourite Al Pacino performance now.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 07, 2021, 08:35:24 pm »

Pig is good.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 07, 2021, 10:01:15 pm »

Shang-Chi is also pretty good. Has some problems but it's a pretty good popcorn flick.

Some great setpieces and action scenes.

Also way way better than the shitshow that was Black Widow.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 07, 2021, 10:35:08 pm »

Shang-Chi ain't no Pig, though. But then again, what is? I mean, bacon, maybe. Or John Wick, if he was shooting empathy bullets.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 15, 2021, 10:35:37 am »

Malignant is the best movie ever made.  It kind of shows its hand with the cold open scene, and I would've cut that.  It starts off as a pretty standard james wan horror movie, lady in a haunted horror movie house, her abusive husband is killed by a serial killer and she can somehow see him when he kills as he goes around killing people associated with her childhood in a mental hospital, like a waking nightmare type of thing.  She begins to think her childhood imaginary friend is back and somehow killing people.  Sound familiar?  Which do you think it is?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It starts off slow and slowly builds up with weird shit, then the third act transition hits and the movie goes completely off the rails and turns into some of the most absurd schlock I've ever seen.  It's unbelievable that a major studio released a movie like this and put it in theaters.  I don't want to spoil it if you haven't been spoiled yet, but seriously.  It's genuinely hilarious, and I think intentionally hilarious.  It feels like James Wan did it as a prank.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:53:05 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 19, 2021, 05:46:51 pm »

Malignant is the best movie ever made.
I was kinda eh on it until the big ridiculous jail house fight which ended up being worth it alone.

Malignant: ET' IS NAWT A TOOMAH. (its worse)

WTF did I just watch/10
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 04, 2021, 08:55:05 am »

As part of the spookfest that is October, I just watched the original Halloween. Gotta say, watching it as an adult, the direction is just so damn good. Powerful scenes to create unease and suspense. Absolutely love it!

Gonna watch 2 and...3 next.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 04, 2021, 09:34:55 am »

We just got done watching Exorcist 2, Exorcist 3 and Demon Knight.

Exorcist 2: God this movie is so cringy to me. It feels like "Hey, Linda Blair is legal now. Let's make a whole movie where she and none of the other female leads wear a bra." The whole movie feels like a showcase for the fact Linda Blair is an adult now. The content of the movie, which deals heavily in psychic communication and visions, is of the late 70s spirituality variety, so NOTHING is well justified. Some new magic psychotherapy device makes it so people can watch each other's thoughts and memories under hypnosis, which then as they look into Regan's past, the demon manages to low key re-possess Regan, attempts to give the psychiatrist a heart attack, the priest character gets in on the act to see a vision of the priest from the first movie who is his reason for being involved, via the demon, through Regan, as the original priest travels to countries around the world doing exorcisms.......? And the visions are filled with late 70s performative art wailing that grinds on you in just under 10 seconds. It's just like "Hey, we got this movie idea and we need reasons for the characters to know the things they know. How should be we do that?" The director: "PsYcHiC vIsIoNs!!11111" The phrase "Maximum spiritual power" is used unironically in the film.

Then the priest goes on a quest to Africa to find a guy who can fight off demons because he saw it in that vision. The guy can fight demons because he's a healer. Oh and Regan can heal autistic children just by talking to them, that's why the demon came after her too, cause she's a super special healer too. The movie rehashes the climatic scene from the first movie all over again, only this time Regan has split into two people: regular Regan and demonic sexy-time Regan, both present in the same room at the same time. Which kind of throws the entire concept of possession out the window but here we are. Demonic sexy Regan is trying to seduce the main priest character, and it's no where near as tense or as interesting as the first movie. Just kinda overblown Hollywood garbage where the entire fucking house explodes in the middle of downtown Washington.

For how much the Exorcist scared me as a kid and teen, and how good it is, Exorcist 2 feels like an attempt by Hollywood to capitalize on the success of the first movie by pouring fuck tons of money into it, but they swing and miss so hard with pretty much everything. The only cool part of the movie is where he goes to Africa because it's mystic and surreal, but it's undercut by the god awful soundtrack they stuck with it.

Exorcist 3 is great by comparison. A hard-boiled detective story involving the occult. Some casting necessities make some of the story flow confusing and I'm not going to say it's the tightest story. And the ending is kinda meh. But the performances are great all around and the atmosphere is top notch.

Demon Knight is just fun, a good ol Tales From The Crypt feature length movie. Setting aside 90s HBO's juvenile obsession with sex and treating the film's resident sex object like shit, it's got some fun action, a fun bad guy, some gore and an interesting story. Not winning any Oscars but a great fun film for teh spooky month.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 01:14:51 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 22, 2021, 02:00:15 pm »

Saw Dune today... I thought it was amazing!!!

IDK I dont want to spoil anything, it was a religious experience (for me anyways)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 22, 2021, 02:09:32 pm »

Do tell us. Did you admire space Jesus' giant worm?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95