Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 130365 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1140 on: October 22, 2021, 02:16:40 pm »

Have you read the book(s) before you saw the movie?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: October 22, 2021, 02:18:42 pm »

Have you read the book(s) before you saw the movie?

Yea, I've read 3 or 4 of them. I enjoyed all of them. The movie is just the first half of the first book. I mean it's certainly the best adaptation since done, and very skillfully so--maybe one or two nitpicks, but I thought it was very fulfilling and faithful to the Frank Herbert's writing.

EDIT: Also Hans Zimmer kills it with the score.

Do tell us. Did you admire space Jesus' giant worm?

that's right, I did! lol
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: October 22, 2021, 02:28:26 pm »

What are we talking here on the Villeneuvescale - more Arrival or more Blade Runner? To be enjoyed or to be admired?
Don't be a tease, spill your heart. Spoilerize it if you must.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: October 22, 2021, 02:37:22 pm »

I think its his best work, to be both enjoyed and admired! Visually, musically, and character-wise its a treat. To be honest I was pretty stunned by it and I'm still kind of processing the whole thing. Ill come back with a better anaylsis later lol

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: October 23, 2021, 11:39:55 am »

Aight. I return with real words this time. Double-post.

So first of all. Dune was just a great experience, I saw it in IMAX with only a few other people there. It was a fun time. I ALSO stand by what I said in my last post. Dune is definitely Villeneuve's best movie, both in terms of enjoyability of story and experience of the art. The most important thing here is that, specifically, it's a really really good adaptation. It leaves plenty of bits and pieces out that are in the book, and as a result the story that is presented to us flows way better than any of the other movies or shows. Spoilers begin here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yea. 9/10 for me. Lots of nitpicks. But they feel necessary to make it work. Would it work BETTER as mini-series? I don't know, I am not sure it would. I can't wait for the inevitable sequel though... and I am dying inside knowing it'll be several years at least.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: October 23, 2021, 12:16:21 pm »

the inevitable sequel
Well, you say that...

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll probably see it in the next few days myself. Hopefully help contribute to it making enough money to justify the second part being made.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: October 23, 2021, 12:30:16 pm »

Having only recently re-read Dune[1], having forgotten that this new film was even on the cards, I must say that I'm intrigued and must find some time to view it[2]. And will not shy from reading its spoilers as obviously I know the baseline plot fairly well, and so long as it's as fairly-close to that as indicated I won't get spoiled in that respect.

The exact cut-off for the "first half of the first book" I can probably guess. Though some past multiparters have obviously shuffled some things both ways across such divides, for better slice-and-stitch purposes, that tends to be wider-scope epics with far more disparate strands[3] that can stand such resplicing. The initial Dune setup is generally far more sane. (The Red/Green/Blue Mars Trilogy would be interesting to map out.)

[1] And then (first-time-)listened to the unexpurgated audiobook, because it was made available to me.

[2] Still not seen anything on the big-screen, for the best part of two years now. My wishlist keeps getting added to (and removed from, I don't think I'll now see things like Black Widow anytime soon unless someone with a Disney+ subscription invites me to their house for a viewing...) but I've just not put in the time to go to a cinema yet... even with a Pot-Luck mentality over what I might end up seeing.

[3] Possible illustrations here - with clear spoilers for most of the targetted fictions if you open the full-res image version... ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 12:32:40 pm by Starver »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: October 23, 2021, 12:36:48 pm »

Dune is intriguing. I read the books a good three decades ago, so probably have forgotten most of it... I have semi-fond memories of the much-maligned 1980s film version.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: October 23, 2021, 02:29:11 pm »

It's going to be hard to top the David Lynch version for me. Despite its flaws, I love it.

The Dune books are....good? The first one is undeniably good to me. The series get more esoteric, acid-trippy and less cohesive as the story goes on, and I think the later books are entirely supported by call backs to the original.

NGL, I feel trepidation towards the new movie. There's a lot of things I liked in the trailers, and many things I didn't like. Seems like there's political overtones all over the movie. The Lynch Dune was less about the politics and more about the revelation. New Dune seems way more about oppression than revelation from the trailers. Entirely possible that's just my read but what the trailers choose to emphasize is what I notice.

I'll see it at some point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: October 24, 2021, 07:22:05 am »

I actually was unspoiled on the Star Wars sequel trilogy, watched it over 2 days. Wasn't as good as the original trilogy, but, not as terrible, as people say. Prequel tier Imo.

Also I totally forgot about this forum.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: October 24, 2021, 09:09:08 am »

I love Dune, the book. Don't plan to see the film because, yeah, everything I've heard from previews is that it is more movie-fied. There's a fair bit of action in the first half of the book, but the film is apparently drumming that up more so it doesn't feel like a robbery to end the film halfway through an already pretty short book.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: October 24, 2021, 10:21:13 am »

It's not a particularly thin book, though. It's not near me right now, but it's approximately the size of the first Gormenghast and the Uplift Trilogy(-in-one-cover), those two as (trade-?)paperbacks while Dune as a similarly-profiled jacketless hardback[1], as I know exactly where it is and what its near neighbours currently are.

(No, I don't have a table with three short legs. ;) )

Don't get me wrong, I have longer tomes, but it's no slouch on the pagecount front. And without particularly large font to cut into the equivalent wordcount, IIRC.

[1] Very little extra thickness, by proportion, by the end-boards.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: October 24, 2021, 04:37:24 pm »

Don't forget Dune comes with a dictionary of terms and the ecology of Arrakis at the end.

Two friends have seen it and both made plans to see it again (one of these friends is a bigger Dune fan than me) so...maybe I'm wrong.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: October 24, 2021, 05:04:33 pm »

The OG book is ~475 pages in most prints, though I am unsure of the word count. Uh, I guess you could call the movie movie-ified but... I mean, yea. It is a movie. There's not undue action, although the action is a little stupider than in the book so. that.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: October 25, 2021, 06:47:17 am »

Saw Dune on Saturday, and I'm still trying do decide how I feel about it.

For context, I have read all of the Frank Herbert Dune books, and watched both the David Lynch movie and the Mini-series.

Visually it was beautiful, I loved the costumes and the ship designs. All of the actors performed well.

Spoiler: Mapes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lasguns (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Duncan Idaho (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Liet Kynes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Little things I liked (click to show/hide)

I get the feeling that I would have enjoyed this movie a great deal more if I knew nothing about the books or previous adaptations.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 95