Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 128924 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1185 on: December 13, 2021, 10:23:35 pm »

It's got Colin Farrell in it, hee hee it's the funny man in another funny movie I'm sure it's a laugh riot   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 16, 2021, 07:28:16 am »

I'm such a sucker, they can play me like a fiddle.

I've pretty much given up on superhero movies. I started lagging behind before Endgame, only seeing stuff because free, and then only making an effort to watch the Endgame movies because they were the culmination of the whole thing so far. I saw the first new Spiderman movie in that there "because free" period and then didn't bother to see the second one (despite featuring an old favourite villain of my youth). So I pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm probably not going to see another superhero movie.

But yeah. Then this new Spiderman one happens and suddenly my superhero flame is renewed for no goddamn good reason.

They can play me like a fiddle, guys. I am a fool's fool
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 16, 2021, 08:10:10 am »

Due to sheer logistics (never the right time, when even possible), I've still not seen anything at the cinema for a while, and probably won't before the new year.

Since Endgame and Far From Home (plus Multiverse, but not sure where in the sequence that was released) not seen any MCUs (there's at least two, before current Spiderman, by vague recollection). I haven't seen the DCU sequel-Wonderwoman and (without looking it up) I've a feeling there's at least one other from that camp, possibly a couple more. Despite full intentions I never did see the latest BCU. And then there's countless other films with (maybe) less hype, not tied to such big franchises, and possibly far better (perhaps even without improbable/impossible physical or mystical feats of overcoming similarly unlikely odds).

I'm not exactly indicative of the health of the movie-production industry. Not a penny has gone from me towards its continuation for almost two whole years. Not via the cinemas (which I'd like to continue) nor via the streaming services (which don't need my help, and I'm still inclined to avoid being sucked into).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 21, 2021, 10:42:28 pm »

Watched a 2018 film "The Tangle", a movie where maybe 25% of the dialogue was in idioms and most or all matters. Excellent movie, and reminiscent of the 2009 "The Watchmen" movie, without the heavy "action movie" excesses.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 26, 2021, 08:58:14 pm »

Don't look up

It's a black comedy disaster movie? The black comedy part? It's made in a world where covid and the reactions to it have happened. As funny as it is to go "haha this is more realistic than any other disaster movie" that feeling wears out rather quickly. And you're left feeling so incredibly depressed that yeah, this is what we have now, and there's pretty much fuck all to do about it I guess :I

Still, pretty good movie all in all. Just maybe don't watch it if you don't want to have any holiday cheer sucked out of you.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 27, 2021, 02:51:10 am »

It's made in a world where covid and the reactions to it have happened.
I think it's mainly satirising the response to global warming. But covid certainly helped magnify the message.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 01, 2022, 01:54:22 am »

I watched Paper Tigers on Netflix today. Single best movie I've seen in the best two years, 10/10 for anyone who has any passing desire to see a Kung Fu movie. I laughed, I cried, I involuntarily clapped after fight scenes, and I'm gonna go try to find a DVD. Go watch it if the plot sounds good to you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1192 on: February 16, 2022, 06:51:11 pm »

Let Me In stuck the landing as far as well made ending that I can recall in recent memory.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 17, 2022, 06:55:48 am »

Let Me In stuck the landing as far as well made ending that I can recall in recent memory.

The vampire one, or is there a fresher one by thst name?
Love, scriver~

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1194 on: February 17, 2022, 11:20:35 am »

The vampire one.

Spoiler: very vague spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 17, 2022, 01:10:04 pm »

Bad roseheart! No watching English language remakes! Even when they're alright. It only encourages Hollywood to make more.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 17, 2022, 03:18:58 pm »

Outlander (2008) is about an alien monster crash landing into Vikings. It's about as dumb as it sounds, but also fun. In typical fashion, parts of it are exceedingly well done and parts of it are completely stupid for the sake of making things work. It also features Ron Perlman and John Hurt, but by law and custom doesn't do nearly enough with them.

In particular, their handling of the aliens was kinda shit for the most part. The main threat has some really cool moments, but the horror aspects require jank and weirdness in others.
Spoiler: Minor Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Predictable Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 17, 2022, 04:17:34 pm »

As I recall, it jumped on the Predator-like bandwagon (but the plot/setting significantly ripped from Beowulf).

But I was confused, for the moment, that you meant Outland (1981) that is instead High Noon IN SPAAAAAACE!  ;)

(I think I'd like to see the latter again, some time. It's got Sean Connery in it, which is more than enough reason for most of his films.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 17, 2022, 04:27:33 pm »

Outland was great. Though the memories are coloured by nostalgia. Felt like a proper sci-fi. The decompression scene, however silly in hindsight, had etched itself in my teenage brain for a long time.

And I think I've seen Outlander. I also think I forgot all about it in a week.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 17, 2022, 05:47:14 pm »

And I think I've seen Outlander. I also think I forgot all about it in a week.
Even the foxfire reveal scene? That's a shame, that was a really cool two seconds.

But I was confused, for the moment, that you meant Outland (1981) that is instead High Noon IN SPAAAAAACE!  ;)

(I think I'd like to see the latter again, some time. It's got Sean Connery in it, which is more than enough reason for most of his films.)
Outland was great. Though the memories are coloured by nostalgia. Felt like a proper sci-fi. The decompression scene, however silly in hindsight, had etched itself in my teenage brain for a long time.
Ooh, interesting.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 95