Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 131371 times)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1260 on: March 13, 2023, 03:44:04 pm »

Watched The Passion of Joan of Arc. There's not a lot I can say about the film that hasn't already been said by someone else over the course of almost a couple years, other than that it's refreshing to see a depiction of St. Joan of Arc where she isn't some sort of quasi-magical lady knight (see numerous fantasy works) or a mouth-piece for the author's grievances (see The Second Coming of Joan of Arc, among others). Watch it, or just wait one more year and I'm pretty sure it'll enter the public domain.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 13, 2023, 07:51:00 pm »

Also got a lot more meta than I would have liked.
Blegh. That's probably the final nail in the coffin for me.

The trailer looked... pretty weird. Half ditzy adventure with a zonked out bear, half ridiculous horror movie. Wasn't sure what they were going for, not hard to believe they didn't either.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 13, 2023, 09:21:24 pm »

Also got a lot more meta than I would have liked.
Blegh. That's probably the final nail in the coffin for me.

My big annoyance was that the movie kept doing silly nonsense, only to have a character in the scene mention how bizarre it was. The easiest example to describe:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the rest of my criticism, they had a perfectly good A/B plot going with the crazed bear running around killing people (usually anybody that happened to be near her precious cocaine) as the A plot, and a group of drug dealers furious that their coke was missing (and afraid that their Columbian contacts where going to go berserk over the lost shipment). Then they added a bunch more unneeded and largely indepenent elements that don't really mesh

None of this is fully integrated into either the A or B plot. It is just some random stuff that's happening.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 15, 2023, 05:16:56 am »

I've always enjoyed comedy the most when nobody in the scenario realizes that its funny or absurd. Leslie Nielsen was the master of this, RIP.

Hajime no Ippo, for all its goofiness, really builds up the opponent boxers as sympathetic characters (a few excluded), which shows the bittersweetness of victory better than the Rocky franchise managed. I've felt that too, because you often end up fighting people you train with, if you're in a small boxing circle.

True enough, and I've always felt that the Rocky franchise as a whole is more about overcoming great odds than it ever was about boxing.

Each successive movie was one more impossible mountain to climb, that gets climbed by the skin of one's teeth and with triumphant music blaring. Rocky 5 chose not do this formula which made it a mess, and Rocky 6 made it about Rocky overcoming his own demons, not just the exhibition fight against Antonio Tarver.

Creed 1 and 2 are very good, well executed, Rocky movies with a genuinely good legacy character. Creed 3, for all of its re-skinning of
still decided to go the route of

I'd love a live action boxing tv show, really capture the Ippo spirit but with a more gritty, modern take on pro boxing. With all the sympathetic opponent backstories of course.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 25, 2023, 03:50:06 am »

I watched Breakfast of Champions starring Bruce Willis. I'll admit that I have not read the novel the movie is based on, which I'm told is poorly represented in the film. That said, although I'd be hesitant to call the film a masterpiece, I have a hard time seeing why the film was so derided by critics that it has not seen a proper American home video release in over two decades (as far as I can tell, anyway). To be honest, I was partly attracted to the film in that, even in 2023, it takes a modicum of effort to track down a copy of the film, legally or otherwise (I bought a European DVD, for the record). Were the film critics in 1999 all such hardcore Kurt Vonnegut fans that they wouldn't tolerate deviation from the source material? Was the film's visual style (in certain scenes more reminiscent of Youtube video than a mainstream film) off-putting to them? I'm not sure and I don't care enough to track down and wade through every contemporary review to find out. All I will say is that if you manage to track down a copy of the film it will probably not be as bad as you have heard and that you have most probably seen at least one, if not several, worse movies than Breakfast of Champions.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 25, 2023, 09:33:18 pm »

Watched John Wick 4. Spoilerific write up ahead

Overall, a solid 9/10
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 27, 2023, 10:37:41 am »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 05, 2023, 06:21:50 pm »

So, Dungeons&Dragons anyone?

Surprisingly good bit of entertainment. After the mainstream superhero movie turned to sludge for the most part and there's so much baggage to every movie that it sucks the fun right out here's a fun little fantasy romp that doesn't overreach nor overstay its welcome but instead offers you a simple promise of a fun time and delivers on it for the most part.

It's not a perfect movie and not a terribly deep one, but it doesn't need to be, it's got decent characters with clear motivations, some twists and turns and pretty well directed action, maybe a bit heavy on the D&D references at times but hey, it's set in the D&D universe so it's kinda bound to happen.

Someone somewhere online likened it to an adaptation of a pretty fun campaign and it really does feel like that, some of the stuff is brushed off and there's a bit of teleportation going on with the amount of different locations making an appearance but overall it's a damn fun movie that keeps you smiling for most of it. It kinda helps that the cast is pretty good and works well together.

Overall a thumbs up from me, wonder if they'll do more stuff like this, and how long before it gets old.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 05, 2023, 07:04:16 pm »

My company is hosting a movie night next at a theater where that's the feature film. I keep hearing positive things, which is weird to associate with a D&D movie. Somewhat disappointed it's not reputed to be a laughing stock like previous movies. But encouraged that maybe I'll get to watch a fantasy movie that doesn't make me cringe?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 07:19:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 11, 2023, 11:15:16 pm »

I saw the new Mario movie today, and someone who played the games since a kid, I really enjoyed it.  8/10 and would recommend to anyone who likes Mario.

You almost can't spoil the movie, so there isn't much to say about the plot.  I'll just comment by saying that I feel like it suffers from the same thing the last dozen movies I've seen did, where it felt rushed and like the writers were tripping over themselves to get to the next scene constantly.  Go, go, go.  It probably could have used 5-10 more minutes, with the characters taking an extra few seconds to talk at certain points instead of just jumping into things.

To my surprise, Chris Pratt's voice didn't bother me much.  After the first few minutes, I didn't even notice it.  He sounded better in the movie than the trailers, so maybe they rerecorded some lines, or maybe I just grew numb to it.  Or maybe I just hated DK and Cranky's voices more and they distracted me.

Still, really enjoyed it.  Had a few genuine laughs watching it too, which surprised me.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 12, 2023, 08:05:03 am »

Does he do da e-funny voice-a
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 12, 2023, 09:38:57 am »

There is a scene in the movie where he does, but it's effectively just a lampshaded moment and he doesn't do it again.

Charles Martinet voices a few characters in the movie though, including one who wahoos and everything like the original Mario.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 12, 2023, 04:30:49 pm »

My problem with the Mario movie was that for as stuffed with references and in-jokes as it was, never did Luigi once say: "That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 12, 2023, 09:55:40 pm »

Just got back from the D&D movie.

Legitimately enjoyed pretty much all of it. I won't rave and say I loved it, but it's the best representation and execution of D&D I think I've seen. Really managed to keep the tone in the right place, at the right time. Serious, action-y, funny, spooky, heartfelt....the timing on the tone was well done. Most of the humor landed. It did a few Marvel-style quips and those mostly were dead on impact, but the actual comedic elements were good and got some legit chuckles from everyone.

My favorite part was:

Pacing in the early part felt pretty rushed. They go a lot of places and do a lot of things in a "short" amount of time and I feel like the sold the Underdark short. But I get it. This didn't want to be a 4 hour movie. At $150million budget, it's not cheap but it's far from a luxurious amount of money to shoot tons of stuff too. As a D&D movie you can tell someone cared more than their predecessors about how to portray it. A lot of D&D references are done with subtlety. I wasn't much of a Forgotten Realms fan so while I know the names and the setting, I don't know much else. But it worked for me. I enjoyed seeing
featured. But no, I did not clap.

Overall I think it's worth a rent. You won't feel insulted or embarrassed as a roleplayer watching this. A lot of the plot movements and solutions felt like the kind of thing you'd cook up at table with your friends. So I'd say....8/10? Which for a D&D movie, is great!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 09:58:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 13, 2023, 02:08:22 pm »

I saw it in Cinemark XD, and I think you're selling it a little short. Easily the best film I've seen in theaters in a long time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 96