Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 130153 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #510 on: April 30, 2019, 12:41:35 pm »

Am I the only one who's okay with Sonic having no coherent direction whatsoever? Think how boring our world would be if we didn't have things like Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06 or Sonic Boom. At this point, the franchise is like the Joker to Mario's Batman.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 30, 2019, 01:03:03 pm »

v=FvvZaBf9QQI&feature=youtu.be]trailer[/url] just came out and its full of ehhhhhhhhh
What did I just watch, and how do I unwatch it?
It was inevitable.

Also holy shit, that is one disturbing design.

So when you refer to disturbing Sonic the Hedgehog videos, you need to be more specific, because it's a very high bar to clear. We talking mpreg, vore, guro?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 02, 2019, 12:38:10 pm »

So far the only criticism I'm hearing of the Sonic movie (besides Sonic is ugly, which okay fair) is "it's not like the games." To me this raises a question: which game do people want it to be like? The Genesis games where everybody's mute and lives in a psychadelic checkerboard land? Chaotix's semi-cyberpunk world? Shadow "Sonic with guns" the Hedgehog? The Adventure series where Sonic lives in a city with humans and goes to space, Eggman blows up the moon and butt rock is always playing? Sonic 06's ancient kingdoms, time travel and sun gods? The one where he's a kindergarten teacher? Sonic Boom? That's not including the comics and cartoons, which can include Sonic as a rebel a la Star Wars, a goofy episodic hero versus Eggman's two incompetent robot henchmen, or fronting a rock band in Sonic Underground.

Sonic has never had a consistent setting, design or characterization, I'm not sure why people are taking yet another complete reboot as some shock or betrayal.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #513 on: May 02, 2019, 10:53:05 pm »

Yeah, I was just thinking that. Something about the way they sugarcoat things, or politely avoid mentioning them wherever possible. Coupled with British formality in general, it makes the realities all the more horrifying.
'Oh, the soulless bureaucratic system has arbitrarily robbed me of a few essential parts of my humanity (and it might be harvesting my organs), but the important thing is that we have managed to preserve our queueing culture. And besides, I wouldn't want to make a fuss.'
Professionalism in lieu of obvious despair makes for a funny Summer's day

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 02, 2019, 10:59:25 pm »

So far the only criticism I'm hearing of the Sonic movie (besides Sonic is ugly, which okay fair) is "it's not like the games." To me this raises a question: which game do people want it to be like? The Genesis games where everybody's mute and lives in a psychadelic checkerboard land? Chaotix's semi-cyberpunk world? Shadow "Sonic with guns" the Hedgehog? The Adventure series where Sonic lives in a city with humans and goes to space, Eggman blows up the moon and butt rock is always playing? Sonic 06's ancient kingdoms, time travel and sun gods? The one where he's a kindergarten teacher? Sonic Boom? That's not including the comics and cartoons, which can include Sonic as a rebel a la Star Wars, a goofy episodic hero versus Eggman's two incompetent robot henchmen, or fronting a rock band in Sonic Underground.

Sonic has never had a consistent setting, design or characterization, I'm not sure why people are taking yet another complete reboot as some shock or betrayal.

Personally, I was hoping for a faithful adaptation of the "Coldsteel the hedgeheg" canon.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 03, 2019, 03:14:30 am »

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/2/18527449/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-design-change-director

Director of the Sonic movie has released a statement saying that they're going to redesign the character because the internet made so much of a fuss.

I'm a bit hurt, honestly... I was looking forward to a feature-length film with something that horrendously bad the whole way through. Also this is either going to be absolute hell on everyone involved in making the movie, or it's all a big conspiracy to exploit viral marketing and they had a "better" model all along.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 03, 2019, 05:30:44 am »

You have to give it to them though. That's some masterful viral marketing marketeering.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 03, 2019, 09:24:19 am »

I suspect it was actually studio/producer interference saying "Sonic needs to look relatable to children, so make him look like a freak." The internet making its opinion known probably allowed the director to say "let's roll it back to what we actually were going to do."

What gets me though is the Nike shoes. Other than his quills and eyes, I think his shoes are the most iconic part of his look. So that bit of product placement really, really stuck out to me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 03, 2019, 04:50:12 pm »

It's not like there isn't precedent. I want to say there have been other instances of brand deals in Sonic games besides the shoes, but I'm not sure.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 03, 2019, 06:36:56 pm »

And on the topic of actual films...
There's this recent release called High Life. It's like Silent Running by the way of Tarkovsky's Solaris. Level of recommendation depends on how much one liked the latter.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 03, 2019, 10:45:06 pm »

Spoiler: Endgame SPOILERS (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 06, 2019, 06:57:40 pm »

Saw a bunch of stuff recently

Venom: Like watching Schumacher's Batman & Robin. Dumb schlock that manages to be both amusing and awful at the same time. The most I remember is Tom Hardy jumping into a lobster tank because he's hungry. PG-13's a waste on this one. A passable way to spend some hours in a plane

Into The Spiderverse: Knocked it out of the park with the look and aesthetic. Really nice to see a different take on Spider-man in feature length. Lots of fun. It referenced the Spider-mobile so its gets a pile of bonus points.  An even better way to spend some hours in a plane

Free Solo: Rock climbing is scary

Bronson: A stylized retelling of the life of UK's most violent prisoner. A tad bit edgy and more Tom Hardy than I bargained for.

The Lobster: Darkly comedic commentary on modern day relationships. Very weird, but also deeply prophetic. I, too, am destined to be a loner masturbating alone in the woods or transmogrified into dog against my will
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 06, 2019, 09:19:47 pm »

Endgame writing sucked. Ohhh pretty lights

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 06, 2019, 11:44:10 pm »

Endgame was good.  Last sequence my eyes glazed over but aside from the complete lack of a fuck given to dealing with captain marvel (she gets a poochie went back to his hime planet sequence and something ten minutes in isnt a spoiler) i dont see anything about the writing that sucked

my biggest complaint is they should've just taken the second movie (endgame is three one hour movies) and made it a two hour feature, it's the best and most compelling

As for sonic, we should encourage studios to sink millions into huge last minute changes on movies that nobody with a fucking brain could ever imagine would succeed even at their original budget.  The movie industry must be destroyed.  Every movie exec working in a toll booth by Christmas
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:48:11 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 95