Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 128818 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #555 on: August 19, 2019, 12:37:09 am »

Watched Venom for the first time yesterday.

It was definitely a movie, and contained performances from multiple actors and actresses. CGI was also used in parts.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 19, 2019, 08:28:05 am »

I just saw Vemon a couple months ago and all I remember is the scene where Tom Hardy is making a mess out of a fancy restaurant eating lobster
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 19, 2019, 08:52:08 am »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:51:07 am by catacombs »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 19, 2019, 09:44:51 am »

Was there a climax in the plot and, ultimately, a resolution?
Yes:
the scene where Tom Hardy is making a mess out of a fancy restaurant eating lobster

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 24, 2019, 01:13:00 am »

since I did not see a "forgot the title of the movie" thread, I'll post here :

I am looking for the name of a movie I forgot. It's a comedy in the same genre as Galaxy Quest, but with a medieval setting.

A group of people find themselves in a medieval world/setting, where many things are stupid in a comedic fashion (it's normal to send messages to other people by putting a letter on an arrow and firing at them, hitting the recipient with the arrow). the heroes do not come from this world, but from the future of this world, or a different world, I do not remember. I think they try to establish the peace between the two medieval factions present in the movie, but I am not sure.

Basically, I'm looking for medieval "galaxy quest", but did not find it with google :/

Anybody knows the title of this movie ?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 24, 2019, 02:57:16 am »

Any plot theories for Matrix 4?

Mine is that there has been a time-skip, humans have repopulated the Earth, but hatred for the robots never really went away and as soon as the humans thought they were strong enough they started up the old war all over again. Now a peace-loving coalition of humans and robots have worked together to clone Neo, so that he can once again find a way to end the fighting.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 25, 2019, 02:42:57 am »

Goodness me, I just watched Shakespeare in love.
That was fantastic, I had no idea.

I never realised how much of an extra dimension Shakespeare's work takes on when it is actually being performed on a stage, even if said performance is already taking place within a film.
The movie's other aspects were all wonderful as well (especially all the little historical tidbits), but wrapped up in the real Mister Shakespeare's poetry and melodrama it certainly made for a potent viewing experience indeed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 25, 2019, 04:27:46 am »

Basically, I'm looking for medieval "galaxy quest", but did not find it with google :/

I'm not finding a dang thing for this... TVtropes page for arrowgrams has nothing to say on the matter, which I would have expected if it's a running theme.

Also tried looking for series rather than films, but again... Not much. The Wizards of Aus was the first thing that popped to mind, but I couldn't find any mentions of arrow gags.

Just to make sure... You're not thinking of Monty Python and the Holy Grail are you? I'd assume it'd be obvious if that's the one you were thinking of, but I really never know with people these days.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 25, 2019, 11:52:47 am »

Thanks for the answer, I'll look up on TVtropes :)
[EDIT] Oh, there are only 5 mentions, and it's none of these :/

It's not The Wizards of Aus (it's a movie, not a series), and it's more recent than a Monty Python movie.
I'd say it's between 1995 and 2015, although more probably in the 2000s.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:04:26 pm by IWishIWereSarah »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 29, 2019, 05:59:28 am »

I was just pondering movie fight scenes and I have a vague memory of an example of a very good one, in which the main character and his opponent brutally have at one another in a small room, seemingly evenly-matched until the protagonist manages to reach down and turn on a stove burner whilst his assailant is pinned against it, before subsequently snapping his neck or something.

Anyone have an idea what that might have been? Feel free to spoiler your replies, lest we upset someone who hasn't seen it. Or maybe you don't need to, what would I know?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, even if you have no idea what that movie might have been, feel free to tell me about your favourite fight scenes and/or what movies they were from!   
I'm mainly thinking about gritty, desperate and believable kinda ones, but of course I appreciate a good over-the-top kung fu showdown as well.
Or just any fight scene that ended up being so bad it's good, heh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 29, 2019, 06:30:29 am »

For some reason my first thought were of the Bourne movies. But I can't remember any particular fight going like that, it just hit my reminiscence button.
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 29, 2019, 08:03:15 am »

Actually, even if you have no idea what that movie might have been, feel free to tell me about your favourite fight scenes and/or what movies they were from!   
I'm mainly thinking about gritty, desperate and believable kinda ones, but of course I appreciate a good over-the-top kung fu showdown as well.

The hand to hand/gun fights in Atomic Blonde are very well made. Without going into spoilers, I believe they did a very good job portraying how a fist fight could go between a woman and a man, showcasing the weight disadvantage with the woman having noticeably weaker strikes and being more easily moved/thrown than her opponents and thus having to fight more skillfully to compensate without falling in the pit of making the goons too stupid to breathe. Moreover it also showcases how both parties become increasingly exhausted from the fight/wounds with their moves becoming sloppier/weaker over time and having to rely on whatever object they can find around them to use as bludgeons (lamps, empty pistols etc).
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 29, 2019, 08:32:13 am »

Any of the Raid movies have brilliant fights. The first one being fairly brutal and realistic while the second one introduces some real fun fighters while still keeping it mostly realistic.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 29, 2019, 09:17:20 am »

I was just pondering movie fight scenes and I have a vague memory of an example of a very good one, in which the main character and his opponent brutally have at one another in a small room, seemingly evenly-matched until the protagonist manages to reach down and turn on a stove burner whilst his assailant is pinned against it, before subsequently snapping his neck or something.
Goddamnit, now I convinced myself that I saw that movie too. And of course I can't remember which it was either.
The first thought was, as above, the Bourne series. But I watched a compilation of its fight scenes, and there wasn't one with a stove top.

I'm mainly thinking about gritty, desperate and believable kinda ones
The one from Eastern Promises, in the bathhouse. The same team earlier made A History of Violence, which is also peppered with believable fights - but they're so to-the-point that they rarely last for more than a few seconds.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 30, 2019, 08:11:56 am »

Anyone have an idea what that might have been? Feel free to spoiler your replies, lest we upset someone who hasn't seen it. Or maybe you don't need to, what would I know?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Was Jason Statham in it? Or one of the Punisher movies? Man, I haven't seen a good fight scene in a while.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 95