Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 131391 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2014, 07:35:42 pm »

The last movie I saw at the theater was the new Godzilla remake. It was in severe need of more Bryan Cranston and more Godzilla, but alright overall.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2014, 07:39:11 pm »

Two films based on graphic novels that don't get nearly enough love: Scott Pilgrim and Watchmen.  Two very faithful adaptations of incredible comic series.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2014, 08:23:04 pm »

I think Scott Pilgrim is overhyped, but the books are pretty funny at parts.

The last movie I saw at the theater was the new Godzilla remake. It was in severe need of more Bryan Cranston and more Godzilla, but alright overall.
I thought the film was whitewashed to a disappointing degree, and that there was not enough giant monster action and that most of the focus was on the MOTAs and not Godzilla himself. Not boring, but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. And Ken Watanabe hardly said a word the whole time, which was weird considering he was the lead scientist in charge of the entire giant monster project. >.>

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2014, 10:10:02 pm »

I thought the film was whitewashed to a disappointing degree, and that there was not enough giant monster action and that most of the focus was on the MOTAs and not Godzilla himself. Not boring, but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. And Ken Watanabe hardly said a word the whole time, which was weird considering he was the lead scientist in charge of the entire giant monster project. >.>
Yeah, there's no way the cast was going to be anything but all white. They even start the film off in Japan, only to focus on the one all-white family in a 100 mile radius. Par for the course for Hollywood at this point, but still disappointing. I already forgot the name of the non-godzilla monster, which goes to show how memorable it was for me. And every character other than Cranston's was stock and dull. Just meh in general.

To get back on topic... lessee. Probably my favorite movie of all time, and one I'd recommend to anyone, is Army of Darkness. It's a movie that sounds fucking awful on paper, but it's one of the best action-adventure-comedies ever made. About as many memorable one-liners packed into this movie as in Schwarzenegger's entire career.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2014, 10:13:12 pm »

Is that the one with the Boomstick?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2014, 10:18:25 pm »

Even thought it's not been mentioned here (I think) it might go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. If you haven't watched "Apocalypse Now" yet it's worth it. It's certainly my favorite movie of all the movies I have seen, although that's a conclusion I came to a few years after watching it for the second time. Ether way, worth a look.

Edit: Also, if you like westerns I will plus one to the guy who suggested 'the good the bad and the ugly.'

Also on the subject of westerns 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' is a really good movie. Actually, a lot of old Westerns from that time are quite good. Rooster Cogburn is a good film. True Grit might be good but I can't separate the 1969 one from the 2010 one in my head so I can't remember enough to recommend it, probably worth picking up if you are going to watch Rooster Cogburn though. There are a lot more I would recommend, but it's been a long time since I watched all these so I can't remember the names.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:25:03 pm by Criptfeind »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2014, 10:22:56 pm »

Smells like victory?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »

I loved the remake of True Grit.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance is one of my favourite old westerns.

A great movie I recommend to everyone: Safety Not Guaranteed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2014, 10:29:22 pm »

Really I guess if you like Westerns just anything with John Wayne in it seems like a fair bet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2014, 10:32:17 pm »

If you want a great western watch Once Upon a Time in the West. Great movie.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2014, 10:35:12 pm »

To be honest, I'm really not that big a fan of John Wayne. He's okay, but not that believable.
Maybe that's just from oversaturation- I've watched so many westerns with him playing similar roles that it gets samey after a while...

Ooh, another recommendation: Leon: The Professional. That's probably a must-see.

Fakeedit @ Gunin: Not sure if I've seen that before or not. Sounds very familiar.
Anyway, I'll probably think of more when I'm awake.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2014, 10:37:20 pm »

Ooh, another recommendation: Leon: The Professional. That's probably a must-see.
I saw that because me mom insisted on watching it while I was trying to sleep in the same fucking room.

All Most of my WTFs.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2014, 11:53:37 pm »

Fakeedit @ Gunin: Not sure if I've seen that before or not. Sounds very familiar.
Anyway, I'll probably think of more when I'm awake.
Seconded! Great movie, and I love that actor that plays Leon.

It's got Charles Bronson in it, the magnificent bastard.

Wild Geese is a fantastic movie about mercenaries. Rediscovered it just today while watching some 007 flicks. God those older ones are so cheesy.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2014, 12:10:54 am »

Mmm. I liked this one a lot, and I've heard other people liked this one a lot, but I'm not really sure what genre or pitch to explain it as.

Wild Geese is a fantastic movie about mercenaries. Rediscovered it just today while watching some 007 flicks. God those older ones are so cheesy.
This one's pretty great. Suffers from standard mook syndrome, but definitely good overall.

That reminds me. Forbidden Planet is an excellent ancient movie. Supposedly it helped inspire Star Trek, which isn't hard to believe. If you like original Star Trek, you'll probably like Forbidden Planet.

Speaking of ancient space films, Galaxy of Terror gets my vote as well. If you couldn't tell from the name, it's a bit, erm... well, it's a horror movie, among other things, but one that I'd say is pretty well-written and interesting.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2014, 12:17:47 am »

Mmm. I liked this one a lot, and I've heard other people liked this one a lot, but I'm not really sure what genre or pitch to explain it as.
Some weird subgenre of Romance?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 96