Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 131308 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #645 on: November 13, 2019, 01:13:38 am »

So, I watched El Camino.
It... didn't exactly reinvent the wheel, but I was pretty stoked to see some more of my favourite character. Won't say any more than that, since I can't be bothered carefully sorting any spoilers into a spoiler compartment right now.

As much as I liked Breaking Bad, I just couldn't bring myself to watch El camino past the first 20-30 minutes.... Maybe I quitted it too soon and it got better as the story progressed but up to that point it was just so damn boring.
Not sure if I'd say it got much better, honestly.
There are a couple of moments that are reasonably tense, and you get to see more of certain characters from the show (mostly through flashbacks), but for the most part it's just the Jesse Pinkman Power Hour.
Certainly not up to the standard of the show itself - or even BCS, which was kind of an exaggerated cash-in but at least it didn't take itself very seriously.   

@Cthulhu: oooh, that sounds interesting. Will add to my to-watch list!
I think my favourite depiction of those crimes was probably in The Frighteners of all things, assuming you're referring to the Starkweather murders.

I adore NBK but it was by no means trying to be an accurate account, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 13, 2019, 03:17:36 am »

Not sure if I'd say it got much better, honestly.
There are a couple of moments that are reasonably tense, and you get to see more of certain characters from the show (mostly through flashbacks), but for the most part it's just the Jesse Pinkman Power Hour.
Certainly not up to the standard of the show itself - or even BCS, which was kind of an exaggerated cash-in but at least it didn't take itself very seriously.   

I guess I'll just pass on it then. Thanks :)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 15, 2019, 07:17:00 am »

Well I just watched Bubba Ho-Tep tonight, and have to say it was an awesome little movie. Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead) stars it in, and his lead role performance is definitely one of the best he's done. You wouldn't think, with the cheesy premise that the acting would be the stand-out feature.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 15, 2019, 08:50:27 am »

Well I just watched Bubba Ho-Tep tonight, and have to say it was an awesome little movie. Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead) stars it in, and his lead role performance is definitely one of the best he's done. You wouldn't think, with the cheesy premise that the acting would be the stand-out feature.

Not Briscoe County, Jr.?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 15, 2019, 09:23:37 am »

Did some flying, which means watching movies while flying!

Saw Godzilla:King of the Monsters which is too bogged down with dumb soldier shit. I couldn’t give two shits about GI Bro and his ex-wife with the magic monster boom box. They were all pretty unlikable (except Ken Watanabe as the scientist guy). The big dumb kaiju fights do deliver though.

Verdict: Hey! There’s a fly dumb human plot in my soup big monster destroy movie!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 15, 2019, 07:23:22 pm »

Speaking of good bad movies, Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter! The full movie is also uploaded on youtube.
I found out about R.O.T.O.R recently. The z-grade Terminator/Robocop knock-off. Worth seeing. Also: Hobgoblins for the worst-made Gremlins / Critters type knock off ever.

R.O.T.OR (1987) trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZgDQKkHbtY

Hobgoblins (1988) trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fhewrzBRM
Haven't gotten around to these yet, but I will. Oh, I will.

Really? I found it pretty disappointing. It had some great parts, but the movie as a whole just felt very slow and lackluster. Like they had an awesome (read: stupid) idea but couldn't flesh it out enough.

I do feel like Bruce Campbell playing Elvis was a cosmic inevitability, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 15, 2019, 10:38:55 pm »

I think the slow pacing was deliberate, it gave time to do the character exploration. That was really what the movie was about. They could have crammed way more slasher/monster/action scenes in, but they didn't. The movie really is about Bruce Campbell's character study and not the monster.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 16, 2019, 02:26:58 am »

I barely remember it, but I know Bubba Ho-Tep scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid.

Also, that R.O.T.O.R. trailer is amazing. I can't decide which part I love more, the ridiculous VO reading out the acronym of the title, or the part where the main character walks into a bunch of chairs.

I'm championing the movie as an option for a movie night some friends are apparently having on Sunday - mainly because I doubt they'd go for Samurai Cop 2 considering the still-fresh psychological scars left by the first one, hahahahaha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 16, 2019, 02:36:31 am »

If we are talking "hilarity ensues" movies, there's also comedy gold like Zorro: The Gay Blade

Zorro breaks his leg while escaping from a spanish style manor house's second story window, and asks his identical twin brother Ramone (no shitting) to stand in for him. Hilarity ensues.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 16, 2019, 02:37:23 am »

I think the slow pacing was deliberate, it gave time to do the character exploration. That was really what the movie was about. They could have crammed way more slasher/monster/action scenes in, but they didn't. The movie really is about Bruce Campbell's character study and not the monster.
Yeah, but that also dragged. It's not like he had a bunch of revelations or doubts to overcome or anything. He was miserable and slowly dying, then he got a better idea. It just took forever getting there and didn't do much with it at the end either.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Conversely, I've now watched ROTOR and it is an absolute masterpiece. The technobabble is beyond shameless, every single character is a quirky moron, and much like the cast I had no idea why anything was supposed to be happening half the time. They really don't make em like that anymore, probably because everyone involved was thrown in jail.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 16, 2019, 07:47:12 am »

Nah, pretty sure that
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:50:49 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 18, 2019, 08:59:06 am »

Conversely, I've now watched ROTOR and it is an absolute masterpiece. The technobabble is beyond shameless, every single character is a quirky moron, and much like the cast I had no idea why anything was supposed to be happening half the time. They really don't make em like that anymore, probably because everyone involved was thrown in jail.

How does it compare to Robot Jox? I think that one was too high-quality for MST3K, but too low-quality for anything else (other than shitty drunk movie night, for which it's good). Convoluted but mostly logical (in-world) plot, with characters that are doing...something because...giant robot fights have replaced wars?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 18, 2019, 01:44:24 pm »

Robot Jox is a moderately good B movie, doing the best it can on a limited budget.

Rotor is just complete nonsense, funny and occasionally bizarre, like the little cop robot or the ending where

Also the main characters name is barrett coldiron, which is basically a space mutiny name
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:45:56 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 18, 2019, 05:48:57 pm »

You want a bad good B-movie? Meet not Star Wars, Starcrash (1979)
Featuring!
-Christmas lights
-David Hasslehoff
-a lava lamp monster
-amazons on horseback
And my favorite
-breaking open windows in space!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 18, 2019, 06:33:55 pm »

Yeah Starcrash deserves some kind of trophy for B Movies.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 96