Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 128911 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #870 on: March 10, 2020, 12:25:21 am »

I've been questioning this ever since Sonic Adventure when they suddenly effectively dumped Sonic into an otherwise normal Earth.  Very strange and confusing, and I never liked it.  That came to a head when he had a human girlfriend in Sonic 2006...

Has it ever been consistent?  Like for a while I thought mobius was an island, that happened to be populated with anthropomorphic critters like sonic.  And the knuckles lived on that floating island, failing horribly to protect the master emerald that made it float.  Now its a separate planet or something.  Maybe.

A few things surprise me about the movie though, having not seen it, and that is that first, they used the name Robotnik instead of Eggman, and that Jim Carrey actually works for Robotnik.  He's a good actor and... well, now that I think about it his personality does match well enough, but I think it would bother me that he doesn't look remotely like Robotnik.  Then again, no real human could...

Robotnik works (vaguely) for the government in the movie, if I'm remembering.  Sonic also gives him the eggman nickname like halfway through, because his drones happened to be egg-shaped (I guess...).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 10, 2020, 08:08:03 am »

Robotnik was a CIA-esque deniable asset that the government apparently used in South American coups and special operations in the Middle East. His existence is disavowed at the end.

Plot lines that are undeniably more interesting than what the Sonic movie ended up being, which was a solid Meh
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 10, 2020, 08:26:39 am »

Has it ever been consistent?  Like for a while I thought mobius was an island, that happened to be populated with anthropomorphic critters like sonic.  And the knuckles lived on that floating island, failing horribly to protect the master emerald that made it float.  Now its a separate planet or something.  Maybe.

A lot of confusion comes from the American continuities, which introduced the idea of Mobius being a different planet from Earth with just anthro critters and the one Robotnik.  This was never the case in Japan, where I'm pretty sure it was always supposed to be Earth and Eggman.

Sega probably didn't really plan to mix more humans into the world at first, but it wasn't a big contradiction when they did it in Sonic Adventure compared to if you tried to reconcile it with the American continuity.  I've heard that Sonic Adventure marked a point where Sega was explicitly trying to remove references to the American continuity, hence why they introduced the Eggman nickname in it, and started using it exclusively afterward.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 10, 2020, 11:10:48 am »

Plot lines that are undeniably more interesting than what the Sonic movie ended up being, which was a solid Meh

50 bucks for olive garden tho
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 10, 2020, 12:09:43 pm »

ROCKonnaissance

EDIT: Also, the whole movie is unironically one long advertisement for Olive Garden... while that idea is funny, I'm not joking.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 10, 2020, 12:17:13 pm »

Also Zillow, Puma, and Toyota.
How else were they gonna cover the cost of the redesign?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2020, 12:19:29 pm »

Saw One Cut of the Dead and The Warriors this weekend.

One Cut of the Dead was delightful. Rare that I have gone from "What is this shit, I'm not enjoying this" to "this is fucking brilliant." If you ever have any intention of seeing it, do yourself a favor and learn nothing about it before hand. It was just a really genuine movie.

The Warriors....I know the memes but I'd never seen it. After seeing it......I'll probably never watch it again. It's not bad. It's stylish and has an interesting premise. But goddamn. The acting is flat as fuck by almost everyone in the movie. It has an incredibly trashy and cringely written female character who just seems like some writer's ideal of promiscuous woman who is there just to be abused. But the most damning thing.....nothing happens after the first 20 minutes. It's an hour of people walking places, running places, saying stupid hood shit, and a couple awkward fight scenes. I get why the movie is a cult classic, but its popularity seems to based on those vests they wear, the fact they're all lean guys, and three memorable lines.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2020, 12:22:18 pm »

Can you dig it, come out and play, and - what's the third one?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 10, 2020, 01:00:39 pm »

The Warriors....I know the memes but I'd never seen it. After seeing it......I'll probably never watch it again. It's not bad. It's stylish and has an interesting premise. But goddamn. The acting is flat as fuck by almost everyone in the movie. It has an incredibly trashy and cringely written female character who just seems like some writer's ideal of promiscuous woman who is there just to be abused. But the most damning thing.....nothing happens after the first 20 minutes. It's an hour of people walking places, running places, saying stupid hood shit, and a couple awkward fight scenes. I get why the movie is a cult classic, but its popularity seems to based on those vests they wear, the fact they're all lean guys, and three memorable lines.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Il Palazzo can come up with 1 more line from that movie than anyone else I know, so I agree there aren't 3 memorable lines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 10, 2020, 01:07:21 pm »

"You're good."
"The Best"

Here's to all you boppers out there

Oh yeaah the Oprhans yeah I heard about you my social worker talks about you all the time

It's allright. Some people just don't have any taste for classic Greek literature reimagined as funky 70's near-fut dystopia punk
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 10, 2020, 02:10:34 pm »

I dunno. I feel like the Greek inspiration was fairly thin at the end of the day. Much like every dude in the movie!

Also yeah, I guess it's really just two lines.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:12:37 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 10, 2020, 02:29:13 pm »

But there was a dude called Cleon! and Ajax!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 10, 2020, 03:04:03 pm »

I dunno. I feel like the Greek inspiration was fairly thin at the end of the day. Much like every dude in the movie!

That's why I like it after all ;)

But there was a dude called Cleon! and Ajax!

The one that's more relevant is the guy named Cyrus, you know, the guy who dies and sets off the entire plot, much like how the guy named Cyrus died in real life so Xenemorphios had to fight his way back to Coney Island
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 10, 2020, 03:07:38 pm »

Also don't forget the Lizzie's. To the movie's credit, it was just as suspicious in real life as it was in the tales.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 10, 2020, 03:30:03 pm »

Xenemorphios
We talking about Alien now?