Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 131049 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #990 on: May 27, 2020, 09:31:45 am »

Holy shit, this was easily The Cage's best performance, that I've seen. I doubt he's had any other roles where he's been able to simultaneously go full ham, as well as show genuine human pain and grief, to this degree.

You need to see the vampire movie
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 30, 2020, 12:12:54 pm »

Yup, seconding that one. It's from before he became a big name too.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 05, 2020, 07:12:04 pm »

The film adaptation of The Last Days of American Crime dropped on Netflix yesterday.   
I'm definitely gonna give it a shot, but... the trailer makes it look like hot garbage. Well, what I saw of it, anyway.   
Admittedly I gave up on said trailer pretty quick after it opened with generic, raspy voice-over dude going "The world is in chaos" like something you'd expect from, I don't know, the shitty bootleg action movie my friends made in high school as a parody of shitty action movies. That sort of thing is such a meme these days, I can't even name any movies that actually play it straight off the top of my head, hahaha.   

But anyway, of course it's a tall order trying to do such a snazzy book justice in movie form, especially considering the artwork. It did feel a lot like I was reading a movie the first time I read it, though, so I figured it wouldn't be too far-fetched to bring it to life on the screen. I'll withhold judgement until I've seen it.   

Fakeedit: wow, just popping through Google to grab a Goodreads url for the book, and it seems like the movie's getting thoroughly panned, haha.
Good thing I don't take that sort of thing to heart, but... in this case it sounds like it unfortunately echoes my first impressions. :-\   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 05, 2020, 07:19:47 pm »

At some point in life, watch "Come and See" by Elem Klimov.
It is something I will never forget.
It is Russian with subtitles.

(edit: A woman I know, who is a native of the film's setting, agreed that this was one of the most intense, unforgettable films ever.)

(edit: Please see the warning 2 posts down.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:47:03 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 05, 2020, 09:27:31 pm »

Not sure if it'd be my thing, but on your recommendation I've added it to my watch list.   
I've been wanting to watch more war movies of all sorts, lately. I started watching an Australian series, Gallipoli, recently, but the free streaming service it was on turned out to be riddled with obnoxious ads.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 05, 2020, 11:37:49 pm »

Not sure if it'd be my thing, but on your recommendation I've added it to my watch list.   
I've been wanting to watch more war movies of all sorts, lately. I started watching an Australian series, Gallipoli, recently, but the free streaming service it was on turned out to be riddled with obnoxious ads.

Be warned. I was about 35 and had 2 kids when I first watched Come and See, and the movie left me shaken for a couple of days and changed something in me forever. It is not to be watched lightly, there is much horror, pain, and evil. The worst part of it all is that probably thousands of times real people went through similar horrors during the war in the east. Yes, I had already studied WWII much in my life since school age as a hobby, but knowing what I knew of the facts about the war between Germany and Russia could not prepare me for this movie.

(edit: BTW, I finished The Legend of Billy the Kid the other day. It turned out to be well worth reading.)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 07, 2020, 03:37:34 pm »

On a lighter note: League of Gods (2016), starring Jet Li.

Synopsis: What

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 11, 2020, 09:41:09 pm »

Bone Tomahawk is a 2016 horror western starring Kurt Russell. I thought it was recommended here but now I can't find it; presumably I'm being advised by ghosts. Apparently they're pretty good ghosts, because it's a pretty good movie. Fairly gritty and gory (and with a sex scene for no particular reason), but with well done characters and excellent cannibal savages and drifter scum.

My only warning (other than the brutality and such) is that it's a low character count film, so if you're hoping to see forty desperate miners butchered with stone axes this isn't quite that. I might go so far as to say that it's a legitimately good film focused on normally B-fare topics, rather than your typical fun meat grinder.

On a lighter note: League of Gods (2016), starring Jet Li.

Synopsis: What
Oh this is definitely going on the list.

That baby is going to be annoying as hell, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 12, 2020, 01:32:01 am »

Hmm, pretty sure I saw Bone Tomahawk listed on Netflix and passed over it immediately. Maybe I'll give it another look.   

In other news, I started watching the film adaptation of The Last Days of American Crime the other day and oh gods it is a fucking mess. Like, the book was already ridiculously cinematic, right? All they had to do to make a bitchin' movie was just translate it scene-for-scene into live action.   

Should have been simple, but for whatever reason the creators (I'm assuming the creators of the book had nothing to do with this trainwreck) felt the need to alter pretty much everything in at least some way. They even fucked up the badass "interrogating some dude hogtied in a bathtub doused with gasoline before leaving him with a lit cigarette in his mouth" scene, which should have been a quick-and-easy source of cinema gold.   
I turned it off as a narrator was launching into a barrage of exposition, going on about some edgy, nonsensical backstory that had nothing to do with the story whatsoever.

Obviously I am biased, being a fan of the graphic novel it's (very fucking loosely) based on, but I'm fairly certain I would have hated it almost as much if I'd gone into it blind. Hell, I hate movies that are far less terrible than this garbage.   

On a more positive note, this is a bloody brilliant movie in the ridiculous kung-fu vein.   
Watch 'til the end for one of the most gloriously stupid scenes I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I'm definitely due for a re-watch.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 12, 2020, 03:40:33 am »

That baby is going to be annoying as hell, though.
Yes, yes it is. So's the plant.

Netflix apparently only has the English dub, the quality of which just enhances the utter cacophony of batshittery that is this movie.

Other notable mentions include:
  • Baby farts a crab in half
  • Everybody get in the vulva boat!
  • Why the fuck are its eyes like that
  • Magic gay white child choir
  • Gandalf: "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing"

Just be aware that the ending resolves absolutely fucking nothing and there's a post-credits scene that helps the matter not at all.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: June 12, 2020, 05:25:11 am »

This movie looks like a work of blasphemy among other things.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: June 12, 2020, 07:13:40 am »

In other news, I started watching the film adaptation of The Last Days of American Crime the other day and oh gods it is a fucking mess.
Oh man it’s got big fat 0 on rotten tomatoes.
It probably blows right past the “so bad it’s good” into the “so bad it’s terrible” zone.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: June 13, 2020, 04:35:44 pm »

So I inflicted The Last Days of American Crime on myself and have been assaulted with boredom and robbed of my time. Such a grey goo rote inaction film inflicted on us by the cinematic genius behind Taken 3. Zzzzzzz
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: June 13, 2020, 08:02:36 pm »

In other news, I started watching the film adaptation of The Last Days of American Crime the other day and oh gods it is a fucking mess.
Oh man it’s got big fat 0 on rotten tomatoes.
It probably blows right past the “so bad it’s good” into the “so bad it’s terrible” zone.
Normally I'm the kinda person to be like, "oh the online reviews are bad? Interesting... those people don't know what they're talking about, anyway, it's probably a gem," but in this case, yeah I reckon so. We might have found a film that is objectively bad, even to those who get off on derpy bad movies like me. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: June 16, 2020, 10:26:05 am »

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 96