Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 128790 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #525 on: May 07, 2019, 04:44:33 am »

On the other hand, people might go just to see if they could turn Sonic's look around.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 07, 2019, 04:52:39 am »

On the other hand, people might go just to see if they could turn Sonic's look around.
Well, I wanted to go because I wanted to see a feature-length film with that level of assery going on in the CGI department... Now they're probably going to come out with a version that's less offensive to the eyes, and therefore less entertaining.

Also, presumably we're going to get another trailer later on advertising the new look that they've worked so hard on. If the internet balks again (which I'm sure it will), I'd like to see them try to squeeze the poor fuckers for yet another cram model and end up having them just use a static low-res placeholder instead because time's up.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 10, 2019, 04:37:14 pm »

Detective Pikachu was pretty darn good, I agree that it fell short of greatness--but still, rose the bar for what you might call video game movies significantly. So yay!

Unpopular opinion here, after seeing the memes first and trailer second, I must say that the Sonic movie actually doesn't look that bad (maybe even kinda okayish good). As someone who has played Sonic games but is pretty neutral, I'm really really really not up in arms over this look of Sonic. And I have to admit even though it was dumb funny, I did chuckle at the uh, m e o w? part. Color me excited for Fast Blue Rat: The Movie
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 18, 2019, 02:14:36 pm »

Just came back from John Wick 3. Great for folks who like watching Keanu kill goons in increasingly outlandish circumstances. Kung Fu fight in Chinatown! Shooting gallery in Morocco! Matrix throwback level! Its like a video game but I'm perfectly fine with that.

I mean, the final boss was the chairman of Iron Chef America[/url, so that's a mega A+ in my book 
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 18, 2019, 02:56:20 pm »

Just a random film-related joke I heard:

- Have you seen the Martian?
- Is that the one about corn?
- No, that's Interstellar. The Martian is about potatoes.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 18, 2019, 04:31:30 pm »

Interstellar.

Every time this movie is mentioned, I remember Matt Damon waking up from the fridge. Such a hilarious scene.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 18, 2019, 06:22:15 pm »

Just came back from John Wick 3. Great for folks who like watching Keanu kill goons in increasingly outlandish circumstances. Kung Fu fight in Chinatown! Shooting gallery in Morocco! Matrix throwback level! Its like a video game but I'm perfectly fine with that.

I mean, the final boss was the chairman of Iron Chef America[/url, so that's a mega A+ in my book

Why doesn't people just set Wick on fire? It just strains my imagination that his enemies doesn't take advantage of such an obvious weakness.
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 19, 2019, 11:09:24 pm »

Well, saw Detective Pikachu.

Good, with greatness visible but just out of reach. Visuals are actually more impressive in the movie than in the trailers, and by virtue of desensitization (they put out quite a few trailers now), it didn't even look particularly strange or off.

All in all, an easy movie to claim the throne of "best video game movie ever made" (live-action). Not to say that that bar was particularly high. I probably liked it more than the average viewer, so keep that in mind.

This pretty much sums up how I felt.  I liked the movie and had a few laughs, so I'd say it's a good movie on those grounds.  I also found it a little touching at times, surprisingly.  The plot also feels like it had a few holes in it, but I feel kind of dumb for not seeing a few of the plot twists coming.

Spoiler: Plot Hole? (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 20, 2019, 06:39:50 am »

Spoiler: Harry spoilers (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 31, 2019, 11:21:44 am »

Randomly watched the movie Zodiac the other day and all i could think about was Iron Man teaming up with Mysterio and The Hulk to track down Ted Cruz
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 31, 2019, 11:46:09 am »

A movie nerd friend with a sizeable DVD/Blu-Ray collection has been helping me patch up some of the more glaring holes in my cinematic history. Like, I'm aware of several of these classic films, and I'm aware of how significant they were in the industry as a whole, but due to my background I just never watched them.

...and then there are the others, those being the cheesy/terrible horror flicks that I was so desperately starved for because I wasn't allowed to watch them when I was together with my ex. Those are also nice.

mangointango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #536 on: August 12, 2019, 12:21:49 pm »

Another great film is Scott Pilgrim Vs the World
   YEEEES!!!!!

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 12, 2019, 01:06:42 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:48:46 am by catacombs »

mangointango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 14, 2019, 08:41:33 am »

Rewatched The Wolf of Wall Street.

Spoiler alert: It's still good. Leo is a revelation in that movie.

I guess I'm the only person in the world that doesn't like this movie. Leo is outstanding and performs as always ON TOP.
But the character itself is so disgusting to me. And I really hate the scene where Leo and Matthew are dining.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 14, 2019, 09:37:13 am »

I havent seen it but it sounds good.  Personally I think Leo is bad in almost everything he's in.  He was the worst part of The Departed and could barely hold his accent.

Saw Midsommar.  Thought it was great, not as good as Hereditary but possibly more interesting?  Its eminently discussable, lots going on
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 95