Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 131312 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #615 on: October 20, 2019, 03:12:11 pm »

Finally got around to seeing Iron Sky 2. Not sure I like it nearly as much as the first one and I think it's mostly down to it turning up the memes and references up to 11 in this one.

The first one was a dumb idea played kinda straight and that's where most of the hilarity came from, having a space nazi come into the modern world and have his propaganda fed world clash with what's real, and of course then came the meteorblitzkrieg which was just freaking cool. This one is just a mashup of different popular movies and internet memes and most of the times the jokes kinda fall flat or grow old because they're so damn obvious (oh no, he put on a red shirt there's no way he's gonna live trough this, oh look he keeps almost dying for the entire movie, what a twist on your expectations).

The communist marsbase was a cool touch tho.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 21, 2019, 05:28:51 am »

Just watched Coco last night! Ex didn't watch animated movies, so I hadn't really gotten a chance before... But now I've got my own girl gang to sit in our underwear on the couch, drink wine, and bring out the tissue paper for the weepy bits!

Y'know I would've made a great gay guy.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 21, 2019, 09:52:32 am »

Watch as a bunch of reindeer herders try to make ends meet while getting chased around by an evil santa that wants to eat them and their children. Fun for the whole family!!(not)

So, like a bad Krampus?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 21, 2019, 11:18:26 am »

I guess.. I'm not very familiar with the Krampus legend.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 21, 2019, 05:44:46 pm »

You don't have to be to enjoy the Krampus movie, which is a brilliant little creature flick from a few years back.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 02, 2019, 03:45:09 am »

So I ended up watching The Addams Family (1991) again last night...

Y'know, people generally like to rave about Raul Julia and Angelica Huston, or Christina Ricci (and they're all wonderful, don't get me wrong!)... But god damn, Christopher Lloyd absolutely smashes his role as Fester. That man is a precious flower, and I'll hear no accounts to the contrary!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 02, 2019, 10:46:34 am »

I watched Killer Klowns from Outer Space for halloween.  Saw it as a kid and it scared the hell out of me, today it's not scary, not well-acted, and not really funny, but the special effects and costumes really redeem it. 
Shoes...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 02, 2019, 05:10:09 pm »

I rewatched Tank Girl. It's a real good movie, despite feeling like it shortened a comic plot that took years to unfold into under 2 hours.

I expected to have to stop watching because of a creepy leering look at the main character, but anything that happened was for her to control the situation. So not only good, but actually good despite the expectation being low.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 05, 2019, 07:51:37 am »

So, there is a very silly "western" made sometime in the 70s to 80s, called Hawmps. It is about the US camel corps

the only source available (even commercially) is a low fidelity, poorly color calibrated technicolor job with lots of interlacing artifacts.  SO-- I have been running it through Waifu2x-Caffe (after turning it into an epic buttload of stills with ffmpeg), and then through virtual dub (with lots and lots of filters to try and correct all the bad color and poor contrast.) 

The movie itself is a comedy, and shamelessly so. Very silly.  Fun to pull on people that expect John Wayne style westerns. lol.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 05, 2019, 07:57:30 am »

Iron Sky 2.
I did not know that was a thing!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 07, 2019, 09:07:39 pm »

Speaking of westerns, I'm trying to remember a film where one of the main characters was shit-talking about the time he took out a whole bunch of guys with one shot, by making his bullet somehow ricochet. An absurdly far-fetched tall story.
I thought it was Shanghai Noon or the sequel, but a flurry of Google searches on the topic came up empty. Also, later on towards the end of the film,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can anyone help me out here? I haven't seen the Shanghai movies in years, maybe it was one of them. Otherwise, searching for "Western ricochet scene" just turns up some movie called ricochet which I don't believe I've seen.
Thanks, Google. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 08, 2019, 10:20:10 am »

Natural Born Killers seems like a good movie, but it's just thoroughly unpleasant to watch.

Speaking of westerns, I'm trying to remember a film where one of the main characters was shit-talking about the time he took out a whole bunch of guys with one shot, by making his bullet somehow ricochet. An absurdly far-fetched tall story.
I thought it was Shanghai Noon or the sequel, but a flurry of Google searches on the topic came up empty. Also, later on towards the end of the film,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can anyone help me out here? I haven't seen the Shanghai movies in years, maybe it was one of them. Otherwise, searching for "Western ricochet scene" just turns up some movie called ricochet which I don't believe I've seen.
Thanks, Google. ::)

I think I've seen that in multiple movies, so it's hard to find just one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 11, 2019, 07:55:06 am »

Well, Terminator: Dark Fate was very Terminator-y. Kinda felt like a huge rehash of T2. Even T3 was more innovative in terms of storyline. It was an ok way to spend a couple of hours but definitely nothing new.

Effectively it's the same plot again, except more contrived. A new completely unrelated AI just happens to end up like Skynet and make almost identical terminators, and send one back in time to do the whole "kill resistance leader" thing, while humans from this future also send back in time an agent to stop the other one. None of the entities are even aware of the aborted Skynet timeline. I mean, what are the actual odds of this?

It's also cashing in on the big "girl power remake" vibe that's been going on these days, and passed off as feminism, when it's really just a flimsy excuse to squeeze a little more blood out of dead franchises. I mean, this is just a gimmick at this point. At least have some new plot where any of those differences even matter: if you can just gender-flip everyone back to male without changing any of the plot-points then it's not really a female-centric story, it's just a standard Dude Action Movie but with girls cast in it.

It's is bombing out at the box office btw. i think the thinking is that putting female characters as the lead characters in high-budget action / effects movies (ones where traditionally, the audience is about 90% male) will double the potential audience. But this is flawed thinking. Most women I've heard talking about such things tend to talk about the cute male stars of such movies. It's pretty much the only draw for a lot of them to even bother. Are they going to see a Mark Wahlberg movie, or the same movie with Angelina Jolie or Scarlett Johanssen in it instead? Most women will see the Mark Wahlberg version.

Battle Angel Alita was cheaper to make and did better at the box office, despite the relative lack of brand-recognition. So it's more likely to see another Alita movie than another Terminator movie in the near to medium future. Which is honestly a relief. Terminator really isn't that suited to being a long-running series of movies, due to the entire premise of the movies.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:31:17 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 11, 2019, 08:23:00 pm »

About what I expected. There's a nonzero temptation to go see Ahnold shoot stuff up, but the trailers I saw made it look like it was trying too hard.

As for movies I have seen recently: They're all D-tier absolute trash so nothing to really talk about there.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 11, 2019, 08:56:01 pm »

Natural Born Killers seems like a good movie, but it's just thoroughly unpleasant to watch.
Dude... what?! I loved that movie! And I was entirely sober!   
Maybe in some of the early parts I can see what you mean, especially that flashback scene, but I think that was mainly because I was watching it at my family's house with the risk of people looking over my shoulder at the disturbing scenes I was viewing, haha. Did you watch it all the way through, or give up on it?
I think it's definitely worth another shot.   

Also, crap, just remembered, I'm supposed to be going over to watch the Breaking Bad movie with friends tonight.
I'm just hoping a certain character I loathed in the show finally gets the demise they deserve... or at least some kind of demise. Fingers crossed.   

Edit:   
As for movies I have seen recently: They're all D-tier absolute trash so nothing to really talk about there.
What kind of "D-tier absolute trash"? Is that like, B-movies but a bit further down the alphabet?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:59:11 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 96