Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 128777 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #675 on: November 27, 2019, 02:08:13 pm »

Tarkovsky says he made it that way on purpose to weed out people who don't deserve to see the third act.
Shoes...

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 27, 2019, 02:24:42 pm »

Maybe he is right, maybe it's just a sorry excuse for failing to engage the audience. Your call.

On the other hand there are films like "The man from Earth" where the whole film is set in a single room, the action is just a bunch of people discussing and it still manages to be both engaging and entertaining.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 27, 2019, 02:51:49 pm »

On the other hand there are films like "The man from Earth" where the whole film is set in a single room, the action is just a bunch of people discussing and it still manages to be both engaging and entertaining.
Oh hey, I remember that one... Funny you should call it "engaging and entertaining"; seeing as when someone put it on at school, I ended up being one of the five (of an original 12 or so) people to sit and watch the whole thing through.

I thought it was quite interesting, actually! Maybe not the cinema masterpiece of the century, but it's a great brain-tickler!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 27, 2019, 03:08:36 pm »

The Street Fighter

For you, the day Japan graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 27, 2019, 03:27:58 pm »

Oh hey, I remember that one... Funny you should call it "engaging and entertaining"; seeing as when someone put it on at school, I ended up being one of the five (of an original 12 or so) people to sit and watch the whole thing through.

I thought it was quite interesting, actually! Maybe not the cinema masterpiece of the century, but it's a great brain-tickler!

Exactly! It might not be a masterpiece but I think it did great for what it tried to accomplish. I wouldn't expect it many schoolkids to sit through it though, not while at school where they are semi-forced to watch it at least.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 27, 2019, 05:31:43 pm »

If you want an extremely schlocky bootleg take on Street Fighter, try and find Future Cops. It's essentialy a chinese director who tried to make an SF movie but was denied, so he said fuck it, changed just enough things about it to not get sued and proceeded with the thing. Highlights include a not-Goku appearance and beachball Blanka.

Also, speaking of quirky japanese wholesomeness, go for Tampopo, that shit is both odd and heartwarming all the way trough.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 04, 2019, 06:47:10 am »

I watched High Noon without knowing anything about its fame. It's only the second Western film I've ever watched, and I have a sinking feeling that anything else in that genre (from that time period, anyway) will feel like stupid kid's stuff in comparison.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 04, 2019, 07:02:45 am »

Yup, the genre really changed in the 1960s however due to the "spaghetti western" which really just means Italian westerns, if you didn't know.

Although if you want the real story of how Serge Leone came up with "A fistful of dollars" watch Akira Kurosawa's film Yojimbo then watch Dollars right after. Serge Leone basically came up with the "new western" format by just rebranding an existing Samurai film with guns. Take a movie about a wandering Ronin (masterless samurai), full of japanese nihilism and bleakness, and re-set it in the West and you've got the 1960s Western Anti-Hero movies. It's sort of like what George Lucas did with infusing fantasy into the sci-fi genre except much more blatant. Imagine if George Lucas ripped off Lord of the Rings exactly scene for scene, to make Star Wars, and that's what Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars is like.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:16:27 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 04, 2019, 09:19:58 am »

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Oh, and there's really obvious stuff like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and all that. I actually haven't watched nearly enough westerns to be overly knowledgeable about the genre, though. But there are a lot of good 'uns. There's also more comedic stuff like Rio Bravo that's still really good.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 04, 2019, 09:26:18 am »

The Good the bad and the ugly is actually the third Serge Leone movie in the Dollars Trilogy. I mentioned #1 in my post. #2 is "For a few dollars more".

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 04, 2019, 09:30:22 am »

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least a couple of his movies in my time, TGtBatU just sticks out as especially memorable.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 04, 2019, 09:43:07 am »

I actually found it forgettable, much like the entire trilogy. Once Upon a Time in the West is great, though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 04, 2019, 09:48:28 am »

I need to see that.  I also want to see Tarkovsky's Stalker but by all accounts I need to set aside an entire day for it and I don't have one yet.

More like a free week, just to be sure. As much as I love the stalker universe, if you can call it that with how different each medium (games, book, film) is to one another, the film is just so damn slow. Twice I've tried to watch it and twice I fell asleep.

In the film's defence I was quite tired both times but...

The pace was quite dragging, I agree.

However, my criticism of the movie is that there are no anomalies in the movie; EVERYTHING can be adequately attributed to Stalker inducing group hysteria in Writer and Professor. (the scene where the power is still on in the abandoned laboratory, and the phone works there too, can likewise be attributed to simple and banal explanations-- the service was never disconnected, and since the service provider was likely located in the same gulag as the first scenes, nobody gave a flying fuck about disconnecting it anyway.)

The only genuine anomaly shown is Monkey moving the jars at the very end.

Also, professor is an asshole, who throws dangerous fissile nuclear material into open ground water.  Because he's an asshole.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:52:19 am by wierd »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 09, 2019, 06:34:26 pm »

Did movie night with da bois Sunday and got two films checked off

You Were Never Really Here which, oddly enough, is pretty much in the same mold as Joker; a Taxi Driver-esque  film in which Joaquin Phoenix plays a mentally affected man living with his mother who dives into the seedy heart of New York. I expected something like Taken, but this film is way more art house in execution with a minimalistic style of exposition. People who revel in violence and action should stay away because this films more about the build up and the aftermath, rather than the act itself

Verdict: 4 pedo guys killed by hammer/ 5 pedo guys killed by hammer

Also saw Brad Pitt Space Movie or Ad Astra which was basically Apocalypse Now in Space
Brad Pitt gets into a Mad Max style dumb car fight with moon pirates before fighting Space Monkeys and that’s pretty much what I’ll remember about this film years into the future. Those two set pieces were just so incongruous with what the rest of the film seemed to be working towards. The semi-plausible depiction of near future space travel was pretty cool

Verdict: Seriously. Brad Pitt fights a Space Monkey
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 10, 2019, 12:49:04 am »

+1 for You Were Never Really Here.
I used to be prejudiced against JP as an actor, after seeing him in Signs and Gladiator. But ever since then he's been constantly in great (even if often small) films putting out stellar work.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 95