Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 131253 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #825 on: February 17, 2020, 12:25:17 pm »

Sonic watchers, would your opinion be any different if they used old abomination sonic instead of the redesign?

The CGI is disturbing now. I can only imagine the sweet sweet nightmare-fuel that might have been.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 17, 2020, 01:14:50 pm »

Oh right, got to see 1917 last night.

It's... I mean, it's a good film. It's quite pretty (despite also giving a much grimier, grittier look at the state of WW1 than most media likes to portray, something I was also very appreciative of), and the cinematography of being mock-single shot is very exciting from a conceptual point of view (although this did make a few of the clip breaks fairly obvious when they happened, despite being disguised)... But good heavens, there were a lot of stupid decisions being made by the main character(s), and survival was basically only granted by virtue of the fact that the entire German army had apparently trained at the Imperial Stormtrooper Academy of Sharpshooting, whereas our main man could snapshot an enemy sniper behind a window at 100 paces with an unscoped Lee-Enfield.

The single-shot aspect was also... Well... While very interesting and also quite engrossing, it kinda gave the movie the odd quality of seeming like the film equivalent of a walking simulator.

All in all, a very lovely experiment in camerawork and scene composition/transition! Also a far more brutal and ghastly depiction of The War to End All Wars, despite still toning it down a bit for the silver screen. Beyond that, it's just a bit... Odd.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 18, 2020, 08:41:44 am »

Sonic watchers, would your opinion be any different if they used old abomination sonic instead of the redesign?

Do you think there would be any if they hadn't created controversy by forcing the artists to make a bad movie and then redo it with unpaid overtime?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 18, 2020, 11:11:49 am »

@Kagus,

it does feel a bit off doesnt? Despite all its achievements (and I also LOVED the film). To me, it seems a bit like The Odyssey with no return to Ithaca. That's probably kind of the point, but the story felt like its missing something.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 18, 2020, 11:19:09 am »

@Kagus,

it does feel a bit off doesnt? Despite all its achievements (and I also LOVED the film). To me, it seems a bit like The Odyssey with no return to Ithaca. That's probably kind of the point, but the story felt like its missing something.

The Illiad?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 18, 2020, 11:52:26 am »

The Illiad covers the (last bit of the) Trojan War, The Odyssey is Odysseus' long-foiled attempt to return to Ithaca (the island he is King of).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 18, 2020, 11:56:30 am »

Greek names languages represent
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 18, 2020, 12:46:50 pm »

The Illiad covers the (last bit of the) Trojan War, The Odyssey is Odysseus' long-foiled attempt to return to Ithaca (the island he is King of).

I'd offer an explanation, defense, or apology if I could remember what the joke I was going for was. I've slept since then, and ?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 25, 2020, 09:17:24 pm »

I mean, it looks like you were saying "duh, of course the story is missing something. Its prequel!" *cue canned laughter*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 26, 2020, 01:31:36 pm »

I'M THE DIRECTOR OF THE POOP TRAIN! CHOO CHOO!

I hope that when the author of that article wrote that a video game was massively popular, they immediately got a wedgie.

Something doesn't need to be popular.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 26, 2020, 01:39:03 pm »

Considering that even Borderlands' original game story was awful, my hopes for an adaptation are p low--I imagine just a big, flashy action gore-fest with LOTS of guns.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 26, 2020, 01:42:40 pm »

Considering that even Borderlands' original game story was awful, my hopes for an adaptation are p low--I imagine just a big, flashy action gore-fest with LOTS of guns.

I hope that 75% of the movie is the characters repeatedly shooting the same people, looking bored, going through the loot, looking disappointed, then doing a loop again.

Edit: like most/all of the MCU movies, Iron Man 3 was disappointing. At least it would have been better if Disney wasn't too sexist to allow for a female villain in an Iron Man movie. They thought "Tony Stark said he'd meet me then didn't" was a better backstory for a villain.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:47:09 pm by Iduno »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 26, 2020, 01:56:29 pm »

That's what we're hoping for here, really.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 26, 2020, 02:12:47 pm »

Ya'll seen that Smokin Aces movie? The redneck brothers? I imagine a Borderlands movie to be basically that. For two hours.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 96