Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 131385 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #840 on: February 26, 2020, 02:25:10 pm »

Ya'll seen that Smokin Aces movie? The redneck brothers? I imagine a Borderlands movie to be basically that. For two hours.

Ok, I'm back in.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 27, 2020, 10:54:50 pm »

I saw Color Out of Space.  It's pretty good.  If you're expecting an Eggers/Perkins style slow burn intellectual horror movie it might disappoint, it's very much in the Stuart Gordon vein of weird, pulpy, kind of silly horror.  Which honestly I think suits Lovecraft better.  The acting is pretty bad, very TV movie aside from Cage.  He's going Full Cage, but he's not super well wrangled.  Compare to something like Mandy, where he's Full Cage and it's incredible, his wild shaman energy isn't as focused in this one.  As the color sets in the character starts literally turning into his father, his voice and mannerisms completely changing, and while he does it well it's a little silly.

It also has a lot of CGI in places it probably didn't need it, some of the effects would've been better practical.  All that being said it's pretty good.   Not scary, but some sequences are pretty fucking disturbing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tommy Chong's monologue is also really good.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 28, 2020, 05:47:45 am »

Ya'll seen that Smokin Aces movie? The redneck brothers? I imagine a Borderlands movie to be basically that. For two hours.
This movie is dumb as shit, wtf am I even watching?
The highlight so far was definitely Jason Bateman's (presumably) bit-part, since funnily enough I had planned on watching S3 of Ozark only to learn it isn't out yet.

That's right, my first pick for something to watch now that I have Netflix access went from Ozark to Smokin' friggin' Aces. ::)   
It mostly just makes me wanna watch Goodfellas. Or re-watch Seven Psychopaths.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 28, 2020, 07:46:14 am »

After my comparison to Borderlands, what did you expect? :P

The highlight so far was definitely Jason Bateman's (presumably) bit-part, since funnily enough I had planned on watching S3 of Ozark only to learn it isn't out yet.

That's right, my first pick for something to watch now that I have Netflix access went from Ozark to Smokin' friggin' Aces. ::)   

You should watch Smokin' Aces 2. It abandoned the whole "let's just come up with a flimsy reason to have a bunch of badasses do badass things and spout bad one-liners for two hours while things explode" premise of the first one for a more high brow, layered kind of action and excellent characters and dialogue.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 28, 2020, 08:42:16 am »

The premise of Smokin Aces (a bunch of different types of teams going after the same target) is pretty good, everything else seems designed to make you say "Yeah, I could do better than this."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 28, 2020, 05:12:27 pm »

Flash forward to Kong vs Godzilla, they're battling, Kong is choking Godzilla, Godzilla sighs "...sorry... moth... ra" and Kong jumps off of him, freaking out, "OOK OOK, WHY SAY THAT NAME" best idea ever, or best idea ever?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 28, 2020, 06:25:40 pm »

The premise of Smokin Aces (a bunch of different types of teams going after the same target) is pretty good, everything else seems designed to make you say "Yeah, I could do better than this."
Yeah, it's kind of like The Expendables: a great premise that it should be easy to have a heap of ridiculous fun with, but they've gone and ruined it somehow.
Though I think Smokin' Aces might have been even worse - at least The Expendables was kind of earnest in how it took itself too seriously despite its silliness. This was just trying way too hard to be edgy at times.
Also a fair few plot points received no resolution whatsoever, but I suppose it's for the best that this dumpster fire didn't go on any longer than it did.

It's a good thing Guy Ritchie isn't dead, because I'm pretty sure if he were he would have spun in his grave with such force upon the release of this movie as to send the whole Earth careening off-course into the sun or something.

...I'm kinda getting deja vu, have I complained about TE in here before? At least I have something similar but worse to compare it to, now.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 28, 2020, 10:06:58 pm »

After my comparison to Borderlands, what did you expect? :P

To be shot in the face, not in the arms, legs, or torso.  In the face.

Flash forward to Kong vs Godzilla, they're battling, Kong is choking Godzilla, Godzilla sighs "...sorry... moth... ra" and Kong jumps off of him, freaking out, "OOK OOK, WHY SAY THAT NAME" best idea ever, or best idea ever?

Thanks, I hate it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 28, 2020, 10:50:30 pm »

I'd see a Goddfrey Ho produced Ninja The King Kong vs Vampire Godzilla movie.

Or how about a Goddfrey Ho / Tingler: Ninja Pounded in the Butt by my own Butt Ninja.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:52:12 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 29, 2020, 06:17:03 am »

Yeah, it's kind of like The Expendables: a great premise that it should be easy to have a heap of ridiculous fun with, but they've gone and ruined it somehow.
Though I think Smokin' Aces might have been even worse - at least The Expendables was kind of earnest in how it took itself too seriously despite its silliness. This was just trying way too hard to be edgy at times.
Also a fair few plot points received no resolution whatsoever, but I suppose it's for the best that this dumpster fire didn't go on any longer than it did.

It's a good thing Guy Ritchie isn't dead, because I'm pretty sure if he were he would have spun in his grave with such force upon the release of this movie as to send the whole Earth careening off-course into the sun or something.

...I'm kinda getting deja vu, have I complained about TE in here before? At least I have something similar but worse to compare it to, now.

Did you watch Smoking Aces 2 yet though? I promise, it's not horrible at all and I'm definitely not trying to get you to watch an awful movie
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 01, 2020, 05:06:04 am »

The Spring is coming, so maybe it's time to get yer romantic juices fill your brains, macerating them into a mushy pulp.
To that end go and watch The Portrait of a Lady on Fire. If I weren't this crusty jaded geezer that I'm increasingly seeing in the mirror, it would have completely floored me, emotionally. The way things are I'm merely stunned.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 01, 2020, 09:25:55 am »

smoking aces 2 though
Love, scriver~

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 04, 2020, 05:35:07 pm »

I return with news of the Sanic movie!

The movie itself is dumb and cringe. They made Sonic a lonely teenager, almost like this was a kid's movie or something. I also have very specific opinions on Sonic flossing as his dance of choice. Not energetic enough for a hedgehog on crack, 0/10 absolutely shameless reference.

Bad as that was, to literally no one's surprise the humans were asinine and beyond worthless. We've known since at least Transformers that including humans in a movie about not-humans is dumb and does nothing good, but they keep doing it so apparently it's serving some kind of critical purpose in this foul ritual. I shudder to think what kind of demographic has their viewing experience improved by having some guy be useless next to a blue mascot going nothin personnel kid, so I can only assume there are darker implications here. I'm being a little unfair here, they got a few good lines in, but on the whole making this a live action movie with real people couldn't possibly have been a wise decision.

The obvious exception is Dr. Robotnik, who is exquisite in everything he touches. Absolutely nailed being a fun, silly villain, to the point where I'd consider watching the movie to consist of viewing a truly delightful mad scientist padded with assorted sewage and waste meats. Slight clarification: The robots are also pretty good, which is Robotnik related but not directly dependent on Carrey's infinite charisma. Likewise, his interactions with other people tend to be adequate to fantastic, which is why I said everything he touches turns to gold.

Overall I value the joy of seeing Robotnik well above the annoyance of dealing with everyone else in the movie, so it gets a longsuffering thumbs up from me. No idea why anybody would call the movie "good" on any other grounds, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 05, 2020, 03:33:14 am »

But how would you have felt about the movie if they kept the original version of Sonic?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 05, 2020, 03:38:51 am »

But how would you have felt about the movie if they kept the original version of Sonic?

FÄST
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 96