Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 128817 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #855 on: March 05, 2020, 03:43:11 pm »

But how would you have felt about the movie if they kept the original version of Sonic?

FÄST
Honestly I'm not sure I would have noticed. Hopefully it would have added a gnawing horror to the whole thing, but maybe it would have just looked hideous to go with the bad writing and whatnot.

I suspect they'd have to go harder to make it horrifying enough to count as art, though. Not even Cats did that well enough to get any lasting appeal from it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 05, 2020, 03:47:18 pm »

But how would you have felt about the movie if they kept the original version of Sonic?

FÄST

fäst means attached

like the original sonic appärence is attached to my brain forever
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 05, 2020, 04:03:59 pm »

You philistines. Why do you concern yourselves with the base hedgehog when you could become a particularly erect baguette?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 06, 2020, 02:08:59 pm »

Greyhound

"Inspired by actual events"

As one comment put it: "Yes a WW2 happened and it involved submarines and boats"

I don't think I've cringed more at a movie trailer since the goddamn Sonic one dropped. And it's all due to that one goddamn line at the start. It's like they want the cake of being a legitimately realistic war movie and the batshit insane horror movie act of eating it at the same time.

Like if fucking Overlord (which is a great movie) slapped the same quote on the trailer and was completely straight faced about doing it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 06, 2020, 02:13:20 pm »

You ever see Fury? Don't talk to me 'bout shitty war movies' til you've seen that absolute dumpster fire.
...Actually, wait - what the fuck am I saying? Don't watch it, in fact you should go to any lengths necessary to avoid doing so. Just take my word for how bad it is. Not even in a funny way.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 06, 2020, 02:23:38 pm »

Fury never made the claim of being realistic or based on/inspired by actual events tho. It wasn't anything approaching great, but the only real crime it committed was the damage the film crews did to the tanks they used.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 06, 2020, 02:24:33 pm »

You ever see Fury? Don't talk to me 'bout shitty war movies' til you've seen that absolute dumpster fire.
...Actually, wait - what the fuck am I saying? Don't watch it, in fact you should go to any lengths necessary to avoid doing so. Just take my word for how bad it is. Not even in a funny way.

Yeah, at least Star Wars Holiday Special was funny.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 07, 2020, 02:50:27 am »

I liked Jarhead.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 07, 2020, 06:55:14 am »

May I suggest Armadillo and Waltz with Bashir then. WwB is animated ("western" style) but not cartoonish.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 07, 2020, 08:36:13 am »

I liked Jarhead.
But what about Jarhead 2 and Jarhead 3?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 07, 2020, 06:52:48 pm »

On a plane trip I watched:
Doctor Sleep, which appeared to be trying to be two movies at once
Ad Astra, which was unexpectedly introspective, which I liked a lot at first but was boring near the end
Jumanji 2, which was fun and that's about all I have to say about it

Today I watched 12 Angry Men. I liked it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 09, 2020, 01:42:50 pm »

I haven't been paying close attention. How close are we to being able to edit together an entire war movie using only footage of Tom Hanks?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 09, 2020, 07:30:51 pm »

Today I watched 12 Angry Men. I liked it.
It's great. Possibly important. Everybody should watch it - if they're into talky black and white films and/or like Henry Fonda.

Speaking of talky black and white films with Henry Fonda, I heartily recommend Fail Safe. It's a more sombre twin brother to Dr Strangelove (with which there was some unsavoury competition on release, too). The 2000-ish remake with Clooney and a bunch of other fine actors is good too, but makes a few unnecessary changes that render it inferior (imo).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 09, 2020, 08:45:20 pm »

Watched bits of Olympus has Fallen which someone put on. This is the pinnacle of American Propaganda. Really, truly incredible how patriotic it is. Some of my favorite eye-rollers were:

"People like you have been trying to destory America for hundreds of years. But guess what, in a thousand years, we'll still fucking be here."

And something about "the United Nations has made enough enemies to make it easy for this terrorist to find supporters" but in the same breath say that the US blew up that terrorists' family but it was an accident so its okay.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 09, 2020, 10:44:33 pm »

Bad as that was, to literally no one's surprise the humans were asinine and beyond worthless. We've known since at least Transformers that including humans in a movie about not-humans is dumb and does nothing good, but they keep doing it so apparently it's serving some kind of critical purpose in this foul ritual.

I've been questioning this ever since Sonic Adventure when they suddenly effectively dumped Sonic into an otherwise normal Earth.  Very strange and confusing, and I never liked it.  That came to a head when he had a human girlfriend in Sonic 2006...

The obvious exception is Dr. Robotnik, who is exquisite in everything he touches. Absolutely nailed being a fun, silly villain, to the point where I'd consider watching the movie to consist of viewing a truly delightful mad scientist padded with assorted sewage and waste meats. Slight clarification: The robots are also pretty good, which is Robotnik related but not directly dependent on Carrey's infinite charisma. Likewise, his interactions with other people tend to be adequate to fantastic, which is why I said everything he touches turns to gold.

Overall I value the joy of seeing Robotnik well above the annoyance of dealing with everyone else in the movie, so it gets a longsuffering thumbs up from me. No idea why anybody would call the movie "good" on any other grounds, though.

And this is the exception.  Robotnik should probably have remained the only "human" in the setting, and I use the term human loosely considering he's a ball with arms and legs.

A few things surprise me about the movie though, having not seen it, and that is that first, they used the name Robotnik instead of Eggman, and that Jim Carrey actually works for Robotnik.  He's a good actor and... well, now that I think about it his personality does match well enough, but I think it would bother me that he doesn't look remotely like Robotnik.  Then again, no real human could...
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 95