Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 95

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 128944 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1170 on: November 02, 2021, 12:03:38 pm »

I'm avoiding every post here tight now so no accidental spoilers but I just know

Do they say "the spice must flow"
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 02, 2021, 12:22:40 pm »

I don't think so.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 02, 2021, 12:30:29 pm »

They do not.  I don't think they say "who controls the spice controls the universe" either, though even if you know nothing about Dune that's pretty obvious in the first few minutes of the movie.

Spoiler: Meme lines they do say (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 12:36:01 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 02, 2021, 12:45:57 pm »

I am going to take a friend seeing it and dunce she's an old spice girls fan I have been stacking up on a bunch of dune/spice world/spice girls memes for her but I am sad to say some of my favourite ones won't be gettable now :(

I will never forget this betrayal against the Dune franchise!

;)
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 02, 2021, 01:14:29 pm »

Saw the movie too. Didn't particularly enjoy it beyond the visuals, and I've loved the book a few years back when I read it.

It felt all over the place, mood was nice, but a lot of the time I was put off by the music, either it's not there, or it's so fucking loud and overbearing that you can't pay attention to what's happening in the scene itself. As said before, fight scenes were rather shit, they do a nice setup with the training at the start, but afterwards it just looked like regular swordfighting/brawling. Also the whole talking up of Gurney as a tough bastard didn't really mean anything in the end? Dude just charges in and dies without doing sweet fuck all. At least Idaho had his big fight with the Sardaukar to show that he's a genuine threat.

Overall, the whole thing felt like an overly long chore than an adaptation of a book that was fairly enjoyable to read. There's being purposefully slow to build mood and atmosphere and then there's stretching shit and throwing in stuff that isn't important to balloon the movie to a stupid length while not being able to tell the full story.

So a fairly big pass from me, don't see myself looking forward to the sequel, much better to go back and read the books again imo
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 02, 2021, 02:01:14 pm »

I am going to take a friend seeing it and dunce she's an old spice girls fan I have been stacking up on a bunch of dune/spice world/spice girls memes for her but I am sad to say some of my favourite ones won't be gettable now :(

I will never forget this betrayal against the Dune franchise!

;)
Somebody make a meme with Dune Spice Girs. Let's see. Scary Spice - Gaius Helen Mohiam; Baby Spice - Alya; Sporty Spice - Chani; Posh Spice - Lady Jessica; Ginger Spice... uh, Thufir Hawat?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 02, 2021, 02:50:16 pm »

[rejigged for more precise (book?) spoiler/non-spoiler reasons]
I think my favorite line, which I don't think was in the book is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  For some reason that one hit good.
You catch me away from the paper, again[1], but I think that is in the book.
...is that the same context (perhaps time-shifted elsewhere in the plot, e.g. post-move, as a good line they couldn't really use in situ) where the film features it?

[1] It's too large to keep slipped in a pocket like some slim volume of classic poseur French poetry... ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 02:52:12 pm by Starver »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 02, 2021, 03:08:52 pm »

Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 06, 2021, 05:26:49 am »

Dune seen't! It was a pretty good movie, but I must confess believed it would be more of a contained movie even if I knew it was just the first in a series. I feel a bit like I've just watched a 2.5 hours long prologue. But then again I appreciate that it took it's time (and it still felt really cramp-paced at the beginning!), it's nice to see a well tempered movie. Also, cast was great. Fat Stellan is best
Love, scriver~

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 22, 2021, 06:24:35 am »

Saw Ghostbusters Afterlife, and I really liked it.

I don't know how well it's going to be received, but I really felt like it held up pretty well, both as its own movie and as a sequel.  I liked the new characters, the visual, sound, and prop design was really damn good, some things (like Ecto-1) felt like they had been ripped directly from the old toy lines and seamlessly added to the world.

If you liked Ghostbusters (1984) then I really think you'll like this film.  But even if you didn't I think it's good enough to go see anyway.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: December 02, 2021, 08:01:19 pm »

Thanks go to TamerVirus for leading me (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100379.msg8333924#msg8333924) to learn more about the baseline test in Blade Runner 2049.  I've loved the movie and seen it several times but didn't understand much about the test until now. Cool reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bladerunner/comments/8mpt2a/can_someone_explain_me_the_whole_cells/
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 09, 2021, 10:09:33 pm »

I'm trying to find a film I remember watching at least part of as a kid, but basically the only thing I remember about it - apart from some weird vibes and an impression that it seemed pretty wild to me back then - is that it had (possibly a cover of) that Chick-a-boom song featured centrally in the soundtrack.   
I don't think it was an old black and white film, and I kinda doubt it was 13 Going On 30 - though who knows, maybe I should force myself to watch that just to make sure. I remember this movie seeming at least kinda cool.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 13, 2021, 05:42:31 pm »

I've been thinking about Alien, and came to a realisation. It's secretly a PSA about covid. That space jockey person wore a mask but didn't get vaccinated against what at that stage must have been at least Omega variant, and not only did they end up with severe respiratory complications, but also infected unsuspecting passers-by.
I wonder how many other films are like that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 13, 2021, 05:50:35 pm »

(Actually, I think it's a personal tirade against being asked to do unpaid overtime by your boss. "I know you weren't supposed to do this, but before you leave could your team just go into the back and sort out that mess someone left there? Cheers." <*Click* as he puts his home phone down before you can even try to remind him that you already said you had planned a family night out, today...>)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 13, 2021, 05:52:54 pm »

Truly, a masterpiece of many layers.

On an unrelated note:
Spoiler: lolwhat (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 95