Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Roll to Rougelike  (Read 5285 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Roll to Rougelike
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:21:51 pm »

ROLL to ROUGELIKE

You are six brave adventurers in the Kingdom of Falonde, in the mystical realm of Zanargun.

You are in a small town known as Grimkeskali, on the outskirts of the Forest of Runes. The five of you are in a small inn, known as the Black Goblet, on the outskirts of town, enjoying your mead. (I am perfectly aware that is different from beer.)

Spoiler: Standard RTD Procedure (click to show/hide)

The "Gimmick" of Roll to Rougelike is that I'm going to post semi-partially-somewhat-half-worked ASCII art in homage to things such as NetHack and Dwarf Fortress. (Yes, this will include COLOURS!)

Please post a character sheet if you're in, like the following one:

Code: [Select]
Name: Use a fantasy name like Inghard or Wysim, or use a tounge-in-cheek modern one like Dave or Joe, I care not.
Age: Please don't make yourself older than two hundred years (which, even then, should only happen if you're a wizard or have a VERY good reason) or younger than twelve.
Race: Humans. Dwarves. Elves. Perhaps kobolds. All of these are acceptable races. Check with me for other ones if you feel these are too "vanilla". Race gives a bonus and a penalty on a skill known only to me, so choose wisely.
Class: You may select of the six detailed below.
Character Description: At the very least, please make the character actually look like their race. No green, tentacled dwarves, for instance.
Color: Pick any; it will be used to denote who's who in the ASCII images.
Skills: All three must be filled out.

Character Classes
Strength-Based
Oriental Warrior of Fame: Hailing from Tamboria Jungle, these hardened warriors boast wide straw hats, a sharp, witty demeanor, and great skill with the Double Sword, a quarterstaff with curved blades at both ends.
Southern Soldier: Training in the harsh, cold wastelands of the far south, these warriors are typically the strongest men alive and usually have magnificent beards as a sign of their heritage. They usually boast great skill with axes, hammers, maces, or typical swords.
Skill-Based
Roguish Sailor: Typically leading lives on the high seas, these fellows are known for their class, style, and skill with a cutlass. They usually come ashore after almost ruining their typically perfect hair with seasickness-vomit. Known for either having a shirt-excluding garb or being decked out in green.
Thief of the East: Famous for being a common sight in the cities and towns of the Bunula Crags, these gentlemen typically wear wide-brimmed hats and carry daggers concealed everywhere.
Smarts-Based
Programancer: Known for their skill with the ancient arts of "ceeplusaplus", "phytha'an", and "jahhava", these sorcerers bend reality. Slightly bend reality. Bending it too much would be very bad. Typically seen wearing hooded coats and thick, tough pants.
Whizard: Known for their skill as well as their intelligence, these magic-users tend to be the jack of all trades, but still specialize in magic. Unlike other wizards which are usually referred to as "stereotypical", these magicians wear their trademark pants with many pockets in addition to typical wizardry garb.

Ideally, we'd have one of each. If you like, we can double up on roles.

Anyway, begin.

Characters
darkpaladin109: Rihcorawat
Iawastooshort: Derricke
Beirus: Jase
Blazing Glory: Starn Gundar
Sarrak: Khan
GWG: Ahngellia

Waitlist
Sinvara
Arkansan
Scotsmen
Urist McDwarf
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:36:39 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Rougelike
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:27:56 pm »

Name: Rihcorawat
Race: Dwarf
Class: Southern Soldier
Character Description: A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry. Has long and majestic red beard, colored red from the blood of his enemies. Crusades in the name of some obscure god called Armok.
Color: BLOOD FOR ARMOK, GOD OF BLOOD
EDIT:
STRENGTH: 3
SKILL: 0
SMARTS: 0
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:23:40 pm by darkpaladin109 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:28:46 pm »

Name: Derricke
Race: Human.
Class: Thief of the East
Character Description: Derek sorry Derricke looks like a typical human gentleman-adventurer-thief-scoundrel: well-dressed, well-spoken, and well-covered in hidden knives, which he is quick to draw when he is both drunk and feeling insulted. Or in a fight. He has a competent moustache, and casual sideburns. He favours pointy riding boots which are deceptively soft and light. His hair is auburn, his face is hair, and his eyes are gleaming silver-grey. He is splendidly handsome and a rather dashing fellow in general. He ran away to become a thief because it was that or become a cavalry officer - his father is rather old-fashioned in that kind of way.
Color: Purple

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 05:22:29 pm »

Name: Jase
Race: Human
Class: Roguish Sailor
Character Description: He is about 6 feet tall, with brown hair, blue eyes, and tanned skin from working for months at sea without a shirt. Oh, and he doesn't wear a shirt. Ever. He has perfect hair that never seems to fall out of place, even in the midst of a storm, and a dashing smile. Odd, since most of the other sailors he worked with had lost most of their teeth to rot. He tends to wear loose-fitting trousers, often dyed green. He is handsome in a roguish sort of way, like a sailing Robin Hood, and his eyes twinkle with mischief. He carries himself and acts in a flamboyant manner.
Color: Blue
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:25:08 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

blazing glory

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »

Huh,really is in the spirit of roguelikes seeing how 3 is lesser fail instead of partial success.reserved.

Name:Starn Gundar
Race: Elf
Class: Oriental Warrior of Fame. (Who says Elves can't be warriors?)
Character Description: Still fairly young among Elves,he's got light green long hair,about 6-7 feet tall,fairly quiet.
Color:Orange

I'll just assume Elves probably live to be 500,but any elf older then 100 is probably smart enough to not go off adventuring.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:53:13 pm by blazing glory »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 06:01:12 pm »

I'll just assume Elves probably live to be 500,but any elf older then 100 is probably smart enough to not go off adventuring.
That is a correct approximation.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:11:38 pm »

Name: Khan
Race: Human
Class: Programancer
Character Description: Completely unremarkable human from somewhere close to the eastern borders of the world. Or to arid deserts. Has a calm composure and inhumanly sharp sense of colors.
Color: Teal

SMARTS: 3
Other skills: Who needs them?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:23:13 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 06:12:18 pm »

PTW

blazing glory

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »

Oh and...

STRENGTH:1
SKILL:1
SMARTS:1

Because I hate penalties.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »

Oh right, skills. I thought they were assigned by class.

How about...
Strength: 1
Skill: 1
Smarts: 1

Edit: Because a 2 does absolutely nothing for me and I don't want to be crushed by the weight of my pack or something.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:44:28 pm by Beirus »

blazing glory

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 06:39:57 pm »

How about...
Strength: 0
Skill: 2

Nah.

But it probably should have been mentioned on the character sheet.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:45:57 pm »

Edited my skills because a 2 has the same effect as a 1, it seems like.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »

How about...
Strength: 0
Skill: 2

Nah.

But it probably should have been mentioned on the character sheet.

Also correct.

I shall edit this in for future reference.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 07:16:05 pm »

Name: Ahngellia
Race: Elf
Class: Whizard
Character Description: A young elven apprentice wearing forest-colored robes and many-pocketed pants underneath. She likes meeting new places and going to new people! Wait, reverse that then strike it! Wait...
(Also, she's absent-minded and/or attention-deficient. Oh look, a link!)
Color: Green

...Skills don't seem to be on the sheet somehow.
Strength 0, Skill 0, Smarts 3
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:07:08 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 07:27:49 pm »

Reserved, making sheet.
Is this alright?

Name: Maruk Zursil.
Race: East Orc.
Class: Acolyte of the dark god Toborh, god of night.
Character Description: a 5'5" hairless orc, he has bright yellow eyes and pointed elf-like ears, his worship of the god and learning of magic has left his body in a frail shape, often shunned by the others, he left orcish lands in search of more powerful magic to prove that physical strength is not the most powerful of weaponry.
He wears a black robe with a hood and carries a staff with ice white runes etched into it.
Color: Lime Green.

STRENGTH: 0
SKILL: 1
SMARTS: 2
I said nothing about Acolytes. The class system is rigid, but the race system was intended to be flexible.

I might accept you if you fix the class, but if you insist on acolytes, it goes to GWG.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4