Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: ☼Cobaltpacked II☼- Kobold Community/Tutorial Fortress  (Read 25936 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
☼Cobaltpacked II☼- Kobold Community/Tutorial Fortress
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:37:27 pm »

Hello everyone. **Arcvasti waves to everybody with his adorable little salamancer hand** This is going to be a masterwork community fortress with one of their lesser played races: the Kobolds. Kobolds don't receive a lot of time in the spotlight, despite deserving it a lot. This fortress is sort of aimed to illustrate how a new player might learn how to play kobolds well and use their numerous potent features well. As such, there will be detailed explanations of the ways kobolds are different then dwarves and parts will be able to double as guides. I will be using Masterwork V5.01, with the emigration script disabled because it needs more balancing and is really annoying at the moment. I will be using Masterwork V5.09 for the new fort. All other settings are as default. Bolding requests are welcome. If you had a bold in the last fort, you're still on the list.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction post for Cobaltpacked II
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler: Old Embark Info (click to show/hide)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
List of named kobolds:
Arcvasti, witch and Head Kobold
Arcticil, dartfrog and Legendary Cook
Arthropleura, owl and Legendary Woodchopper
Boltgun, kestrel and Thief
Jaxy, eel and Farmer
Kaladin, turtle and Legendary Leatherworker
Tenderroast, salamander and Smith.
Skullsploder badger and Machetebold
Zach, Viper-Sign and Machetebold
Alestance, Badger and Mechanic
Palu, Druid
Babbette, kobold child
Huivn, kobold child chef
Razorback, Owl [Soon-to-Be]Archer
Sniffles the Expendable, Kobold Child
List of people w8ing for kobolds:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:27:20 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

jackfractal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cobaltpacked☼- Kobold Community/Tutorial Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:32:43 pm »

Nice! Looking forward to this. I am a fan of the Kobolds, but I find playing them pretty tricky.

That is a heck of a lot of jackrats! Especially a lot of jackrat males.

Hope the Pottery system works for you. I have been having some troubles with it today.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:05:05 pm »

Nice! Looking forward to this. I am a fan of the Kobolds, but I find playing them pretty tricky.

That is a heck of a lot of jackrats! Especially a lot of jackrat males.

Hope the Pottery system works for you. I have been having some troubles with it today.

1: Thanks! I hope that I'll be able to make Kobolds a bit less opaque with this.

2: Yep. I usually butcher all but one of the jack rat males for food, bones and leather as soon as its feasible. And all the females ensures a continuing supply of jack rat newborns that I usually butcher immediately. Its actually a tad exploity bringing so many, due to their absurd rate of breeding, but I've lost all my jack rats to wild animals before I got some defenses up a few times, and bringing spares has prevented any repeat incidents.

3: I haven't used the Pottery system since version 3a or so. Its just a bit too much bother now. It used to be that it was nice and efficient, but now its not as useful. I HAVE heard some odd things about this version and tools. Sawdust ladles and the like. Hopefully they won't impact the play through that much.
Spooky Signature

Alestance

• Bay Watcher
  • [VILLAINOUS_THEMATIC: LIGHTBULBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:08:25 pm »

I HAVE heard some odd things about this version and tools. Sawdust ladles and the like. Hopefully they won't impact the play through that much.
They can be cooked into silk thread. I suggest dumping all of them as soon as you can to prevent your 'bolds from auto-cooking them. Or enjoy free silk. Whichever you feel is most appropriate.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:12:43 pm »

bold me! insane, pyromaniac smith. :P

They flames... they call out to me, and whisper secrets to me... They only wish that i feed them in return.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:33:03 am »

from tha wholey riting of Arcvasti, profit

1st Granite: We are here. Like I knew we would be. The soil is perfect for using for construction here. The first step is to order the area surrounding the shoddily-made duplicated wagon cleared of extraneous vegetation. That clears space for a place to store food, provides lots of logs and lets us start farms and basic workshops quickly. We'll even tear down the wagon itself, it not being much use. There are a few dangerous fauna, but they're across the river. My little sermon earlier could be more literal then I thought...

3rd Granite: We've cleared enough trees for a few simple workshops. Just the essentials: Carpenters Workshop, for early furniture and such, Butcher's and Tanner's Workshop's, for tanned hides, bones and food and the Clay Oven, for gathering clay, peat or dirt as building materials. These are the most important workshops to erect. Next are the Woodcarver, for making mechanisms for the Sawmill and Wood Processor, the Sawmill and Wood Processor and the Boneyard and Leather Upholstery. The Sawmill is for making plenty of planks to get an quick stockade up and the Wood Processor is to take full advantage of the wood stalk crop I hope to get started soon and to clean up the useless sawdust of the Sawmill. That's the only good use for the stuff, its not like you can boil it into silk or anything. Both the Boneyard and Leather Upholstery will eventually cover the camp's furniture and mechanism needs, but until we get a stable crop of jack rat newborns, wood is easier.

5th Granite: Once enough trees are felled, I order all food, moving or otherwise, kept in a nearby cleared area.

8th Granite: While everyone is busy hauling rats into their new enclosure, I designate an area for further expansion. I lay out plans for a Craftbold's Workshop, a Leather Works, some farms, workshops for processing, weaving and tailoring rope reed and reserve some empty space future experiments in Metal shaping techniques. I also order a Kitchen built, to make useful tallow. I additionally have the foresight to order some wooden parts made for a well and the Sawmill and create an upwards stairway for future vertical expansion.

11th Granite: The rats are all semi-safely confined in their little zone, so productivity increases dramatically. I get some kobolds gathering peat, both for future Metal-shaping experiments and for building a wall around the site. I also personally butcher the giant jack rats that pulled the wagon. They are of no further use to us. Alive, at least...

14th Granite: I order the farms seeded. We need to get them sowed as soon as possible, so we harvest before the frost sets in. I also tan the leather from the giant jack rats. And then make thin suede from it. You can triple the amount of leather by turning it into suede, but its pathetic and soft. It works fine for tents though, and most kobold workshops are in tents. Since we're still low on leather, I'll need to stretch our limited supply as much as I can. More peat is scraped up for making those walls. The wildlife is either docile or across the river from us right now, but more dangerous denizens may yet infringe upon our meager dwelling place.

17th Granite: I get the workforce working on an overhang to shade my future office. Most kobolds don't even recognize writing. It has to do with my particular birthsign. The Bone Carver[As yet unamed], begins making totems for trade with wandering kobold peddlers. They often carry strange items in valuable materials from thieving from the Others. I also decide to start butchering the excess bachelor jack rats. I dictate to the kobolds that they should set up a Boneyard and Leather Upholstery tents, in addition to the Woodcarving tent they'd already been working on. With those three tents and our existing workshops, we should be able to craft most anything from wood, leather OR bone.

20th Granite: Everyone decides to take the time to drink slowly from the river. I can't very well ask them to STOP and finish making the Woodcarver's tent so we can have the last well component finished after that line about "Drinking the lifeblood of the land for salvation". I only wish they didn't interpret most everything out of my mouth as holy writ. It gets annoying sometimes.

23rd Granite: After everyone is done drinking, I finally wrangle the Carpenter[Also unamed], into making the mechanisms needed for the well. Then I personally direct the building of the well. I still have kobolds gathering peat and using it for our building needs until we can get the Sawmill tent running and put some proper planks to use. I get my office and bedroom set up near the farms under the overhang.

26th Granite: The Sawmill tent is fully operational. The Woodchopper[Having no name] has begun smoothing several of the logs he got in preparation for making them into planks. The Wood Processing tent is being constructed right now.

Spoiler: Current state of fort (click to show/hide)

29th Granite: Oh God Griblin no. The kobolds are going to make me preach again. Sigh. I suppose I'll oblige them.

Spoiler: Preachlog (click to show/hide)

bold me! insane, pyromaniac smith. :P

[[Added to bolding list.]]

Spooky Signature

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 12:40:02 am »

Can I be bolded as a farmer?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 12:42:32 am »

Can I be bolded as a farmer?

Added you to the list.
Spooky Signature

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 12:56:41 am »

Please 'bold me as the first 'boldlet born to the new tribe - call it "Bubba" if Male or "Babette" if female.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 03:42:25 am »

Bold me as the first bold put to military use, melee if possible. Personality: stubbornly ignores any doubts about the practicality of trying to go toe to toe with goblins that are twice my size. LEMME A' EM!
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 11:58:21 am »

bold me as a knife wielding viper bold, please :D
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 01:06:17 pm »

1st Slate: The Wood Processing tent is done. All that remains to be done for now is the construction of the Leather Trimmer tent and the wall. Once those are done, our Leatherworker can begin to use the tallow our cook rendered in combination with the leather I tanned to create a stronger leather. We'll need strong lamellar quickly if we want to get a militia up in time.

3rd Slate: The Leather Trimming tent is being built. The kobolds are building a wall out of peat facing the river side. I saw some black caimans in there earlier and we have no way to defend ourselves yet. Which in retrospect was a really stupid idea. We have plenty of totems though, so if kobold peddlers come through here, we'll be able to buy useful goods from them.

6th Slate: I've got the Leatherworker[Who remains nameless] to start hardening the leather with tallow. Turning leather into lamellar is a long and tedious process, so we should start now. We'll need 20 pieces of lamellar, 5 central pieces of armour for two future squads of two. The wall along the water front proceeds slowly, due to our current reliance on peat for building material. Most of the logs we have have been smoothed and are almost ready for being planked.

9th Slate: I order a quern made of bone made. We'll need it to grind the blade weed into usable dye later. The Farmer came up to me while I worked today. He spoke thusly:

Spoiler: Preachlog (click to show/hide)

12th Slate: The first batch of planks came in today. Between this and the constant peat gathering, we should be done the Wall by summer. Jaxy has sown around half of the seeds in the ground, which is impressive progress. The Leatherworker[Who lacks a name] is halfway done hardening the leather. Progress goes on.

18th Slate:
Spoiler: State of Fortress (click to show/hide)

20th Slate: Everyone takes a nap at the same time, because this is totally safe.

22nd Slate: Some kingsnakes wander in. Luckily, the river protects us from them. Between it giving us life giving water and providing a natural barrier against hostile things, its safe to say it IS our lifeblood. Progress on the Wall resumes.

26th Slate: Having run out of male jack rats to butcher or skins to tan, I get started on sorting the stockpiles records. The Wall is pretty much done and needs only a few more planks.

30th Slate: Somehow, one of the Kingsnakes made it across the river. The race is on to finish the Wall before it decides to attack us.

6th Felsite: The Wall is complete.

Spoiler: Completed Wall (click to show/hide)

9th Felsite: Construction on the second level of workshops has begun. A second grove of trees is being massacred for planks. I order some bone studs made, to stud all the tough leather that's done being made.

11th Felsite: A marauding band of Kingsnakes are holding the logs we chopped down hostage. Lucky we got the Wall complete or we might have had casualties already. Luckily, what we had inside the Wall was more then enough to make an area large enough for a Breeding Warren. We're not sure if any other kobolds even know where we are. Therefore, I'm instituting a Breeding Warren. I myself will not participate directly in the breeding. I'm not sure how my own birthsign would react with another more usual birthsign and besides, I think celibacy might improve my credibility as a prophet.

14th Felsite: I get some studded leather production going. Most of the Kingsnakes have left, so I've re-opened the Door. The other thing I wanted to put on the roof was a Thieves tunnel. Thieves tunnels work due to one of the few technological advancements kobolds actually had: Portals. A stolen technology from the Great Obsidian Library, the portals we have in Thieves Tunnels all come out in a central complex of caverns that allows both centralized communication between tribes and lets us steal with impunity from Others, no matter out geographical location. A circle of candles is required to form the Portal and no more. In the central cavern complex, thousands of jack rat souls are sacrificed to allow this connection to function. Its one of the only advantages kobolds HAVE against the Others. To this end, I ask the Cook[Unamed] to make some candles. She asks if I want her to make tallow candles or candles[tallow]. I tell her to make one of each.

Spoiler: One of each (click to show/hide)

17th Felsite: The Breeding Warrens is complete. Of course, the first thing to do is populate the Breeding Warrens. Most everybody except me and Jaxy goes up to do that. Why did I put my office UNDERNEATH the Breeding Warrens? Its very distracting. After a little while, the kobolds leave their eggs in the Warren and go back to work. Kobolds CAN lay eggs and often do so when they need to work and can't afford pregnancy. Usually, in a Breeding Warren, they lay eggs there and leave them to incubate beneath cozy blankets. In maybe a week, the eggs there will be ready for hatching. Although all the eggs I hatched a week from now would be Kestrel sign. The Birthsigns have to do with what month it is when the kobold is born/egg is hatched. Although certain minor rituals performed over the egg CAN have an effect, its often frowned upon by more traditional tribes. We don't frown upon those. We should pretty much be able to choose which Birthsign the Bred Kobolds have with impunity.

20th Felsite: The Thieves Tunnel is done. All we need is a Thief to use it. Usually, the Thieves used by Kobolds are the very young. They are given a bag, a dagger and a cloak and told to go steal days after hatching. Natural born Kobolds have a year longer to learn from their elders and perhaps find another less dangerous profession, but Bred Kobolds must thieve in order to earn a name. I don't think we'll follow this tradition, but having a Bred Kestrel Kobold be our Thief would be better then risking a skilled craftsbold. I'll probably go through it in the Summer to go inform the Clan Council of our existance. Perhaps then they can direct groups of named, but unskilled kobolds to us as is custom among new Kobold caves and hideouts. Although our official status as exiles might throw a wrench in that plan. I also give orders to floor over the area that will one day be a Dormitory. That day approaches quickly.

24th Felsite: I get the Kobolds on improving the entrance area to the camp. They'll place some barracks for future soldiers and a Trade Depot and a bridge I should be able to rig to raise when we pull a lever. Without those, anything more imposing then small wildlife or goblins will be able to waltz right in and cause havoc. I get our Leatherworker and Bone Carver working on beds for the Dormitory and furniture for the Barracks respectively. I also mandate some more trees chopped down and made into planks.

1st Hematite: It is now Summer. I should go through the Thieves Tunnel and meet with the Clan Council. I am not looking forward to that meeting...

Spoiler: Main Workshop Level (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Camp Stocks (click to show/hide)

Bold me as the first bold put to military use, melee if possible. Personality: stubbornly ignores any doubts about the practicality of trying to go toe to toe with goblins that are twice my size. LEMME A' EM!
bold me as a knife wielding viper bold, please :D
Please 'bold me as the first 'boldlet born to the new tribe - call it "Bubba" if Male or "Babette" if female.

Added all of you to the list. Koboldlings grow up in only a year, so Bubba/Babbette will see some action earlier then usual.

Spooky Signature

Arcticil

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Master of cooking and ingenuinty.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 01:50:19 pm »

Bold me as a hunter/cook/butcher please! Sign/gender aren't important.
Word.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 07:37:30 pm »

Bold me as a woodcutter!
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:05 pm »

Bold me as a druid (or whatever the kobold magic guys are called) please.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6