Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you sort/bundle jobs?  (Read 1776 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you sort/bundle jobs?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 04:10:05 pm »

What I do is I make lots of dwarves with hauling, masonry, mechanics and architecture enabled, I also enable medical skills on many as well (but more haphazardly).

Then for my important dwarves, the ones I want to make high quality stuff, I give them the custom profession of "Chief XYZ", so "Chief Cook", "Chief Leatherworker",  "Chief Armorsmith". When the fortress gets large enough, the chiefs will have other duties turned off. If a dwarf with superior skill immigrates, I make him/her the new Chief. This scheme is useful for keeping track of who has the highest skill, especially when you either A) have multiple armorsmiths due to immigration, or B) your best armorsmith is an even better furnace operator (for example).

Some jobs are caste, Miners are normally dedicated (sometimes my miners are used as woodcutters, this is because my miners normally aren't in the military because I don't like the uniform problems), so are farmers [farming: field, only]. For some skills with quality levels, like bone carving, I don't bother with a 'chief' but just let multiple dwarves train. Ditto for cooking, not because high quality roasts aren't cool, but because my cooks have a tendency to die and I like having a spare.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 04:12:36 pm »

I like to either group by workshop. ie I'll have 2-3 dwarves with all the crafts workshop skills enabled.
or by work flow, so i'll have 3-4 dwarves set to weave the cloth, dye it, then turn it into clothes.
Also any job that just need more bodies throwing at it is enabled on all my peasant haulers. ie architecture for road building.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 07:03:28 pm »

For doctors, I look for dwarves that have personality trait "finds helping others" rewarding or very rewarding to the extent that a baby with that trait is given profession nick name future doctor, and the really best doctors also have the driven trait. I'd rather have a doctor that gets happy thoughts from doing his job and will jump right to it instead of finishing that break, drink, meal and then sleep before stopping the bleeding on my injured dwarf. Anybody that does not like helping others is removed from feed patients and recover jobs. An immigrant doctor that is lazy and does not like helping others is made into a general dwarf regardless of skills. Early forts the doctors are then given only jobs that do not take them outside the fort (no danger job group) older forts the jobs are further restricted to moodable ones.

Everybody else gets all the other jobs with about 20 % miners, 20% wood choppers and 10% fisherdwarves/hunters those being the jobs that are pretty much mutually exclusive. Every other job is enabled on every dwarf until a dwarf reaches legendary. If a dwarf is legendry under this system obviously it's a hard worker and likes doing that job enough to grab it before the others often enough (not talking mood legendries here) if everybody farms and one guy is a legendry farmer, he's really special, it's a self selection process instead of the overseer selecting whom will be legendry. At that point I'll turn off the dangerous jobs on the legendary dwarf. The farmer gets beekeeping, plant gathering, milking and shearing turned off cause those would take him outside. Military dwarves are excluded from the wood chopping, mining and hunting jobs due to the issues with uniforms.
  So I group jobs that the dwarf has trained up and remove any that take the dwarf into danger.
Pages: 1 [2]