Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Remove noble's hands = no more demands?  (Read 11129 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Remove noble's hands = no more demands?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »

* Has a soul
Mine has a soul. How do I fix this?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 12:42:03 pm »

Dizzy seems the most interesting here. 

A FB in the middle of the noble's room that has a dizziness causing syndrome would make the noble effectively unable to make any mandates, as he would be purpetually dizzy.

Stoner-barons for everyone!

*Has a soul-- How to fix?

Kill, and reanimate as zombie using necromancer. Zombies cant be mayors anyway though. Since the introduction of souls, anything that is of any interest is gonna be something with a soul. Not all undead are soulless either. Vampires and necromancers have souls.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:45:29 pm by wierd »

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 12:54:31 pm »

* Isn't nauseated, winded, stunned, dizzy, or feverish

Perhaps check the medical screen, if he got nerve damage from the peach faced lovebird perhaps he's perpetually dizzy or nauseated.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 12:55:22 pm »

* Has a soul
Mine has a soul. How do I fix this?
The reason it requires a soul is because mandates and demands are based on preferences, and preferences are stored inside the soul.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 12:59:42 pm »

So pople are going to be caging nobles and tossing them around to ensure they don't make mandates, now?
Better use a minecart to ensure that the noble is caged and a projectile.  You can't be too careful.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 01:02:10 pm »

So. Caging nobles.

Dwarfy.

HOWEVER it's dwarfier if you cage them in an artifact microcline cage, then suspend it above a pit made of burning graphite, full of magma.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »

Set noble to haul. Forbid door in cramped rail track impulse circle. Watch him pick up speed until the minecart starts wanting to derail.

If he jumps of he'll be instantly murdered, if not, no more mandates!
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 02:40:40 pm »

Well, caging the mayor ought to be fairly simple. At worst, send him or her on an errand that happens to path though a webbed cage. Then you can build the cage holding the mayor in the middle of the dinning hall so his or her admirers can enjoy his or her august presence.

Sure, sure, but how do you keep him alive after that?  Caged dwarves need to eat and drink, and they can't, due to pathing issues.  So you'd need to let him out long enough to take care of bodily functions, and risk mandates during that time.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:54 pm »

Well, caging the mayor ought to be fairly simple. At worst, send him or her on an errand that happens to path though a webbed cage. Then you can build the cage holding the mayor in the middle of the dinning hall so his or her admirers can enjoy his or her august presence.

Sure, sure, but how do you keep him alive after that?  Caged dwarves need to eat and drink, and they can't, due to pathing issues.  So you'd need to let him out long enough to take care of bodily functions, and risk mandates during that time.

Not so sure about that. Caged prisoners (justice system) do get fed and watered as a low priority job. And I don't think DF first checks if the hungry and/or thirsty dwarf is a subject of either the justice or medical system. So a caged mayor ought to be feed and watered as a low priority job.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »

And would promptly die if the fortress became overburdened for any length of time.

I would think Wierd is right about using an FB with a non-harmful syndrome that lasts a while. Although you probably shouldn't put it in the middle of the room or your noble will spend all his time running in terror from it. Put it in a partially-obstructed corner they'll path through occasionally.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 03:43:10 pm »

These are the criteria:
* Hasn't made a mandate/demand lately
* Isn't dead, hasn't left the map, isn't a projectile, and isn't caged
* Isn't insane (or in the middle of a mood)
* Isn't incapacitated (unconscious, webbed, or paralyzed)
* Isn't bleeding
* Has a soul
* Is a member of your fortress

Fascinating list; should go on the wiki.  "Isn't a projectile" may be abusable with minecarts short-term, but I suspect this would also prevent eating & drinking.  Can dwarves drink in free-fall?  If you load a dwarf into a minecart that also includes booze and food will they eventually consume it?  If you had a vampire baron, could you put them on Mr. Bones' Wild Ride forever?

"Isn't webbed" might be more practical to abuse.  IIRC there was some indication recently that webbed dwarves may be in partial stasis; would a combined Royal Bedroom and silk farm be doable? 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:12 pm »

If you want to make a dwarf into a permanent projectile, drop it onto the top of a tree. As I recall, that particular glitch struck the community fortress "Battlefailed" and stopped them from getting any strange moods for a long time (since the "floating dwarf" was in the middle of a mood).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 05:15:26 pm »

Happy Nobles don't generate a whole lot of demands...
Since when?

[edit] I'm looking at a disassembly of the relevant code right now, and happiness is not a factor when making new mandates or demands.

These are the criteria:
* Hasn't made a mandate/demand lately
* Isn't dead, hasn't left the map, isn't a projectile, and isn't caged
* Isn't insane (or in the middle of a mood)
* Isn't incapacitated (unconscious, webbed, or paralyzed)
* Isn't bleeding
* Has a soul
* Is a member of your fortress

I can work with this. Obviously dead or insane are the easiest states to develop, but the latter quickly becomes the former and you get a replacement noble. Now the cage, that is useful.

Incidentally with my original no-mandates mayor, he actually had no item preferences so that's probably why he made no mandates. His actually injuries were the motor nerves to both feet and both hands had been severed (presumably he was wearing pretty good body armour) so he couldn't grasp or walk.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:48 pm »

Hmmm.... The "isn't bleeding" criteria sounds interesting. Are infections considered to be long term low level bleeding? Some dwarves can last for years while having an infection.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 08:19:03 pm »

Not so sure about that. Caged prisoners (justice system) do get fed and watered as a low priority job. And I don't think DF first checks if the hungry and/or thirsty dwarf is a subject of either the justice or medical system. So a caged mayor ought to be feed and watered as a low priority job.

FYI the problem is not the job "priority", but rather that there is a cooldown on how often they can be fed/watered, and it gets reset whenever the game goes looking for someone to do the job, regardless if anyone is assigned to bring the food/water. If at that instant no one is able to take the job, the prisoner/patient has to wait another 1.5 days or so before they get another chance. The job simply doesn't wait in a job queue like the workshop or construction jobs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3