Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games for more than 4 players at a LAN party to vibe on  (Read 12861 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games for more than 4 players at a LAN party
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 10:02:02 am »

Our LAN party staples are ARMA 1, 2 or 3 (depending on how old the computers are), Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, Marathon 2, Myth 2, and Unreal Tournament '99.

ARMA aside, we tend to play older games not because of the games' quality but because a fair number of people are bringing laptops with integrated graphics to the LAN these days. Gone are the days of everyone bringing a good mid ATX tower, it seems.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 11:35:56 am »

Yeah, ARMA would be much better with less all knowing/seeing AI and more players.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:55 am »

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is great for a long, long LAN session and can fit up to 6 comfortably (I'm sure you can go higher, but above that and apparently it just grinds to a halt mid/late game). I've played it on a good laptop (i5 but integrated graphics) and it did alright, I'm sure older laptops could hack it with everything turned way down and on low res.
However, everyone really needs to know what they're doing before you start as it's got a moderate learning curve and it's way too much effort to try to teach/help people on the day.

Other than that, Artemis bridge simulator is fun for 5, although someone will probably have to do something a bit boring (comms). It's incredibly nerdy and not as particularly deep/complex as it could be (and lacking polish) but it's one of the few games where everyone can work closely together as one unit. There are tons of missions to choose from, but to get the most of it you really have to do the whole 'RP star trek' thing.

Wargame: Airland/Red dragon (airland for older comps) is good, but the learning curve is ridiculously steep and I think only the most hardcore of LAN parties would be able to deal with it. I've really tried to love it, but it's just way to difficult/complex and I always end up going back to World in Conflict (it's more user friendly cousin) as it's just so punishingly hard.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 12:09:08 pm »

Other than that, Artemis bridge simulator is fun for 5

More than 5. You can have multiple ships.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 12:12:19 pm »

Other than that, Artemis bridge simulator is fun for 5

More than 5. You can have multiple ships.

Wait what!? That's awesome, I had no idea.

It's very easy to work a ship with three players (although 4 is probably better) so if you had multiples of that it'd that'd make for a great game. It does require a lot of talking/shouting through, so it might be difficult to run multiple ships in a small space.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 04:24:15 pm »

Civ 5.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 07:17:30 pm »

Flatout 2, cars and insanity for up to 8 players. There's mods as well when there's need for more weirdness.
Supreme commander (first one, or rather forged alliance. Second game was all kinds of meh) 8 players rts.
Men of war or its prequels, has co-op or various vs modes.
Mount and blade warband, some mindless fun for a couple of hours or so and there's some mods that will probably keep it interesting a while longer.
Warcraft 3 still has some good custom maps if you're willing to look around.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 09:27:26 pm »

we usually play
Star Wars: Battlefront II
or age of empires 2 with the forgotten empires mod ~ best lan game ever

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 05:41:18 pm »

Running with Rifles apparently runs well over a lan. Can be played co-op or PvP, lots of bots or very few. Can set up internet servers as well.

Pretty damn fun top-down action shooter in the vein of Cannon Fodder, except a bit more serious and modern. Kind of. Until you get the hang of vehicles. Then you'll laugh and laugh.

It's in beta and is pretty cheap ($9.99 or $34.99 for a 4-pack). Good little game.

Can be found on Steam or here:
 http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:45:06 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 04:30:37 pm »

It's 2019, and this question has once again become relevant. Damn why is it so hard to find something that's cool, coop and for more than 4 players?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 05:45:57 pm »

check this thread out for some not normally local coop. (however this still has a limit of 4 unless you do a bit of code changing.) https://www.reddit.com/r/GoldbergEmu/comments/bnug6u/goldberg_emulator_is_godsend_for_local_coop/

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 06:55:21 pm »

Google provided me this website: https://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

Which has been pretty handy. Reminded me I already own Red Solstice. Alas, Red Solstice 2 is not out yet.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 07:40:44 pm »

what about some good o'l RTS from the 90's-2000's:

-Age of Empires 1, 2 and 3
-Age of Mythology
-Impossible Creatures

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 07:45:02 pm »

I find retro stuff has a hard time competing with the flashy and speed of newer games, especially in the action genres. We might try to play some Jedi Knight 2 Outcast, but I think that'd be about as far back as we'd go.

Also while individually most people might like 4x games, I'm not sure how it would go when playing as a group.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 08:01:53 pm »

Starcraft custom maps, or things of similar nature? If it's not actually lan but just online, that might have some stuff to look into.

Aside from that, there's apparently a handful of smash brothers riffs on PC these days, though I'm less certain about over 4 players. Soldat exists, as does a bunch of Worms-like games that might work out. Might look into something like Human, Fall Flat (though again I'unno how many of those sorts of co-op physics based games go for >4). It's been a while since I fiddled with anything particularly multiplayer, honestly...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3