Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 3.0.0  (Read 57895 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 2.1.0
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2015, 01:46:05 pm »

The GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:peat:PEATFUEL_MAT becomes INORGANIC:PEAT_BRICKS by reference, and that material does not exist.  So in effect you have

[REACTION:MAKE_PEAT_BRICKS]
   [NAME:make peat bricks]
   [BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:CUSTOM_B]
   [REAGENT:peat:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:PEATFUEL_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:nonexistent_material]
   [SKILL:PRESSER]

and the game seems to be helpfully suggesting magma as a replacement.

Ahh. So PEATFUEL_MAT isn't a thing, ergo, it defaults to magma.
For clay reactions, there's this line:
   [PRODUCT:100:1:CRAFTS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:clay:FIRED_MAT]
However, I don't see a definition for what a FIRED_MAT is within the raws, though it's tagged onto clay soils, kaolinite, and all of the clay reactions.

Is it possible to add Inorganic tags like that?
What solution would you suggest?

Clays have FIRED_MAT which references INORGANIC:CERAMIC_EARTHENWARE from the inorganic_other.txt file.  That material is a "stone" that never occurs naturally.

If you are using peat bricks as an arbitrary reagent, then the material can be based on whatever you like (I'd suggest the SOIL_TEMPLATE to avoid crafts made from peat bricks).  It even might be possible to forgo a separate material entirely and just use the "pressed" solid state of the original peat.

[REACTION_CLASS:PEAT]
      [NOT_PRESSED]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:peat:NONE][PRODUCT_PRESSED]

[INORGANIC:PEAT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SOIL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:peat][DISPLAY_COLOR:2:7:0][TILE:142]
[SOIL]!AQUIFER![REACTION_CLASS:PEAT]
[BLOCK_NAME:brick:bricks]
[SOLID_DENSITY:850]

Not sure if blocks can be made of pressed material or not; the only examples I see in the raws are globs.  If that doesn't work, you can always just made a PEAT_BRICKS material.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »

[REACTION_CLASS:PEAT]
      [NOT_PRESSED]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:peat:NONE][PRODUCT_PRESSED]

[INORGANIC:PEAT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SOIL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:peat][DISPLAY_COLOR:2:7:0][TILE:142]
[SOIL]!AQUIFER![REACTION_CLASS:PEAT]
[BLOCK_NAME:brick:bricks]
[SOLID_DENSITY:850]

Not sure if blocks can be made of pressed material or not; the only examples I see in the raws are globs.  If that doesn't work, you can always just made a PEAT_BRICKS material.

I wasn't able to get Peat to press into blocks correctly, so I went with the versions in Masterwork, aka making a new material. If you can figure out how to correctly turn Peat into Peat Bricks, though, that'd be sweet.
The silver is responsible for this How?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2015, 12:12:11 pm »

Oh, it won't turn into blocks just because you press it.  "Pressed solid" is a state of matter, and you can require that a reagent be a "pressed solid" before it can be used in a reaction (for example, before it can be made into blocks).  Or you can have the screw press turn into a special material, then have the reaction require that material.

It's all invisible to the player anyway, so do what's easier.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

saintclair

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Boxing Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2015, 05:30:35 am »

Okay, so I searched for both "molybendium" and "molybdenum" just to make sure.

I don't mean to be rude, but the element is molybdenum, not molybendium. It's one of those confusing Greek->Latin->English names that has too many influences to be comfortable.

You could have done it purposefully, but just wanted to let you know.

IronEleven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2015, 08:18:05 pm »

What workshop makes bonemeal?

saintclair

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Boxing Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2015, 03:04:39 am »

What workshop makes bonemeal?

As far as I can tell, it's the screw press. I'm assuming the rationale is that you're pressing the moisture from the bone and crushing them, though honestly I would have put it under the quern.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2015, 08:46:15 pm »

Query; Has this mod done anything to change the vanilla Magma Forges?  I put this on a clean install, and upon loading discovered all of the Magma buildings are gone; Smelter, Glass, and Smithy.  The two new Forges are in my menu, though I saw no mention of replacing the vanilla options.

Gaest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2015, 01:36:03 am »

Hello, Evaris, first of all I must say that I like your mod very much, thank you for your work. I would like to point at two (tiny) issues, both in creature_standard.txt.

Line #606, part of [CREATURE:HUMAN]: "[EQUIPS" - missed closing parenthesis.
Line #732, part of [CREATURE:ELF]: "[PERSONALITY:PERSEVERENCE:0:45:100]" - vanilla raw (last version, 0.40.24) uses the word "PERSEVERANCE". Magmawiki states that both words occurs in string dumps.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2015, 07:40:58 pm »

Query; Has this mod done anything to change the vanilla Magma Forges?  I put this on a clean install, and upon loading discovered all of the Magma buildings are gone; Smelter, Glass, and Smithy.  The two new Forges are in my menu, though I saw no mention of replacing the vanilla options.
Have you found magma?  Those furnaces don't show up until you have found a magma feature.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2015, 07:48:42 am »

Have you found magma?  Those furnaces don't show up until you have found a magma feature.
I have built monuments to cheese, moved water from the top of the world to its' bottom, and yet somehow never realized this :-[

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2015, 04:00:53 am »

Still playing Fallout 4, and haven't touched DF in months so... May be a while before the next update, I'm afraid.  But I will get to it, eventually.. though I am somewhat intimidated just reading the patch notes.

I know it's been a month and I've been playing since preload unlocked but I'm still addicted, I'm afraid.
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2015, 09:20:08 am »

Still playing Fallout 4, and haven't touched DF in months so... May be a while before the next update, I'm afraid.  But I will get to it, eventually.. though I am somewhat intimidated just reading the patch notes.

I know it's been a month and I've been playing since preload unlocked but I'm still addicted, I'm afraid.
Glad to hear this is still on your radar :)  Orichalcum is fast becoming my favorite mod; expanding on the vanilla game without going overboard on new stuff.  I was poking through the raws, and at a glance, I don't see anything in particular that would make it incompatible with 42.02.  Though admittedly I haven't played a serious Fortress yet, still waiting on DFHack and a few rounds of bug fixes.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2015, 02:03:38 pm »

Alright, after I've had some time on a couple of forts I am now working on manually transitioning to 42.xx.  If there's anything  anyone would like added for 3.0, toss in ideas now!

Also, I'd like users opinions of my adding a playable race to the game.  Namely, fox-people (probably to be named kitsune.) My own personal wants on the matter aside, from an analytical perspective animal-people now can be played in adventure mode, so why not have one that's permanently there?  Plus foxes burrow and are known for intelligence and cunning, and thus as a playable race could have lower strength and endurance than dwarves in favor of mental attributes, so.. maybe a gameplay difference of some sort?   

I don't know.  I'm not certain  whether it would fit in the "limited changes" categorization or not. 

I'm also open to kobolds being made playable, but again, not certain how the reception, given the intent of this mod, would be. 

So I'll give it a week or two for those while I work on simply updating and bug-checking (and being lazy thus taking longer if I binge-typed.)

Also, with the updates to Obsidian, I'm thinking of moving back to that tileset. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:14:01 pm by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2015, 11:26:19 pm »

Sweet :)  First, on the subject of Tileset; I use a nifty little mod called Deeper Dwarven Domestication.  It is only available with Phoebus & Ironhand, and the former will not be updating in the foreseeable future, so if Ironhand is an option for you, that's my new preferred graphics.

Suggestions: I'll start with metals.  I am going off the Wiki Material Values here.  Either you have cranked up the value of every metal ingame, or the wiki is horribly outdated.

Cupronickel-  I get what you are trying to do, but Copper & Nickel are the most abundant metals in the game.  Having their alloy be near-steel is rather overpowered.  I recommend giving the alloy a cutting value ~Iron, but make it only marginally better than Copper for armor.

Solder alloy- I can't recall every finding Stibnite, but perhaps that is b/c I never noticed it due to not having any use in vanilla.  Comparing the raws to other metals, this looks like it's supposed to be a half-way between iron and steel for all uses.  Clarification would be nice.

Mithril- There are a lot of good blunt & armor metals, plus new sources of Iron and Iron-substitutes.  I'm not seeing anything good for cutting weapons besides Cupronickel though.  I think Mithril would make a good addition.  It's high fantasy, but feels like it would fit in DF.

Lastly I strongly recommend checking out Stal's Armory.  I ran a test Fortress and some Arena battles, and I really love the way combat plays out.  I know that Orichalcum adds a few new weapons and armor options, but I really feel like Stal nailed it.  If you would consider using this instead (and can get permission to integrate of course), I think it would bolster the 'enhanced vanilla' feel.  Watching a few Arena battles with this might help balance the new metals & alloys as well.

All I've got for now :)

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2015, 11:57:36 pm »

Sweet :)  First, on the subject of Tileset; I use a nifty little mod called Deeper Dwarven Domestication.  It is only available with Phoebus & Ironhand, and the former will not be updating in the foreseeable future, so if Ironhand is an option for you, that's my new preferred graphics.

Suggestions: I'll start with metals.  I am going off the Wiki Material Values here.  Either you have cranked up the value of every metal ingame, or the wiki is horribly outdated.

Cupronickel-  I get what you are trying to do, but Copper & Nickel are the most abundant metals in the game.  Having their alloy be near-steel is rather overpowered.  I recommend giving the alloy a cutting value ~Iron, but make it only marginally better than Copper for armor.

Solder alloy- I can't recall every finding Stibnite, but perhaps that is b/c I never noticed it due to not having any use in vanilla.  Comparing the raws to other metals, this looks like it's supposed to be a half-way between iron and steel for all uses.  Clarification would be nice.

Mithril- There are a lot of good blunt & armor metals, plus new sources of Iron and Iron-substitutes.  I'm not seeing anything good for cutting weapons besides Cupronickel though.  I think Mithril would make a good addition.  It's high fantasy, but feels like it would fit in DF.

Lastly I strongly recommend checking out Stal's Armory.  I ran a test Fortress and some Arena battles, and I really love the way combat plays out.  I know that Orichalcum adds a few new weapons and armor options, but I really feel like Stal nailed it.  If you would consider using this instead (and can get permission to integrate of course), I think it would bolster the 'enhanced vanilla' feel.  Watching a few Arena battles with this might help balance the new metals & alloys as well.

All I've got for now :)

Ironhand:  I'm... honestly not a huge fan?  It was the first tileset I used, but then I found Obsidian and didn't stop using that until the lull in updates for DF2014.  Also I'm not aware of an Ironhand update being available for 40.xx, let alone 42.xx? 

Materials in RAWs use a different, multiplied value over their material properties.  I'm guessing this is due to something in the core programming of the game, likely to do with force and penetration calculations somewhere. 

Cupronickel is using real world values for between a 75ni-25%cu alloy and 70%ni-30%cu alloy, which is the approximate weapon-grade "white copper" alloy range found in ancient china circa 400B.C. - 200 B.C.  Greek decorative "Orichalcum" was usually between a 50-50 to 60-40 blend and softer, about identical to weapons-grade bronze in most respects (which, granted, is a good bit stronger than German nickel silver, with only 20%ni), however again we see what was used on weapons reach around that significantly stronger 75/25 mix.  Current modern use is 70/29% ni/cu alloy, with a few other metals mixed in for strength, and used in high corrosion resistant piping, some boat hulls, and a few other things for a maximum strength alloy.  And the USA's nickel coin is made from a flat 75%ni/25%cu alloy at present.   

Solder alloy is nowhere near even iron values, being a factor of ten weaker in.. pretty much everything?  I don't think you're quite reading the values right.  It's a slightly harder lead alloy that maintains most of it's weight, with an even lower melting point.  Mostly just useful for bolts?  But a realistically available alloy for the tech level. 

Mithril:  in general I'm trying to keep this mostly realistic?  I included the two divine metals due to divine metals pre-existing in the core game, and my want to give players a way to access it in fortress mode.  Main issue with mithril is.. I'm not entirely sure how I would exactly make it fit in, or what niche it would fill?  Moly steel, the divine metals, and cotton candy already fill pretty much all the normal things that would be "mithril" in a fantasy setting. 

Stal's armory:  Something I would consider, but probably not be a thing in 3.0.  I'll need more input, time to think about things, and then should I decide it to be a good idea, to then contact and get permission. 

That said, any opinions on the whole races thing, since that's the main thing weighing on my mind for addition?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:08:23 am by Evaris »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11