Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 3.0.0  (Read 57901 times)

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 3.0.0
« on: June 02, 2014, 12:00:33 am »

Download Link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8602

This mod started off with my making several small modifications to the RAWs for myself.  First I read about Curponickel, AKA White Copper, AKA plausibly orichalium (one of the modern most likely candidates for the Greek-roman material),  This led to the addition of several other bits,  which led to a lot of changes to my RAWs.  Generally speaking, my aim is simple.  How to improve the game and give more options, without changing the feel of the game.  It should still be the same old dwarf fortress - the same workshops, and the same Iron/bronze = medium grade, steel = second best, as an example.  However... there are gaps to fill and options to add.  As well as bits of logic to add in.  For example - Uranium is great for blunt weapons and plate armor... though expect your dwarf to be exhausted.  (and possibly sterile? I kid, Uranium armor will only probably give Urist McRadioactive skin cancer after five years of goblin bashing) 

Regardless, as a direct summary, my goal with Orichalium is to add as much content as possible, while retaining DF's feel.  I use Obsidian as a graphics tileset thanks greatly to it preserving the overall feel I get from the game, while being consistent and letting you tell what everything is - giving both a visual appeal and functional upgrade.  This mod will be updated as time and interest allow, and as things are right now I need input and further ideas more than anything else. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy the mod!

List of updates and changes from vanilla:
New glazes - Glaze ceramics with Galena, Talc, Hematite, Pitchblende, and Cobalt for more colors, choices, and greater value.
More porcelain - Microcline and Orthoclase, as members of the Feldspar family, they get to be used for porcelain making as well.  Go crazy with your ceramics industry.
More metals - Cobalt becomes useful as an iron-grade metal able to be smelted, Cupronickel is an alloy of copper and nickel, superior to iron and bronze, closer to steel in strength.  You can now get antimony from stibnite and make solder alloy. Lastly you can now get natural Uranium out of Pitchblende for heavy armor and weapons.  Say hello to Urist McRadioactive the Goblin Splatter.  Also, strengthen bronze and steel with new alloys utilizing arsenic, lead and molybendium.  Even forge a sword directly from a meteorite.
More metal uses:  Make warhammers out of electrum, short swords out of brass, and bolts out of lead... or pretty much any metal for bolts really.
Lead use - Aside from ammunition now being available, you may now use lead to make leaded crystal glass*
Peat - You can now use it as fuel or turn it into earthenware
Athracite - metamorphic layer fuel source, of greater purity than other forms of coal.
Quarry bushes - Also now able to be burned into fuel. 
New deep plants - more of a reason to dig deep and access the third cavern. Digger weed is edible raw and is available year-round and more valuable than standard foods with the option to make flour, and Silkcap makes high quality (and climate controlled) cloth, also available year-round.
New weapons - dwarves get access to flails and morningstars, humans get rapiers and throwing knives, and savage races get clubs.  Big clubs, along with warclubs and shortspears.  Elves get longbows to improve their ranged power. Also, for those with access to sulfur, saltpeter, charcoal, and normal metals, you may now make gunpowder and simple hand-cannons.
New Armor - for those who like driving their dwarves to exhaustion, you now get the options of double chainmail for torsos and leggings, as well as heavy plate for your torso, chain coifs for added protection for your head, and great helms for protecting those skulls.  (Note: chain coifs will not fit under a standard helm, but will under a great helm or cap.)  Also, kite shields, heavy gauntlets, and heavy plate boots.  Overall, the new armor gives you the ability if you have a lot of metal and a strong enough dwarf, to completely outclass the formerly common armor setups in protection, with obvious drawbacks.   
More Fish - get tired of running out of fish quickly?  Well I do, so their populations got boosted up by... a lot.
Chert as flint - an extra source for sharp rocks for use in a rock short sword. 
Glass swords - like obsidian, but with regular glass instead.  Less sharp, but significantly easier to obtain on many maps.
Short sword change - gave it a thinner tip for getting through armor easier. 
Borax - use it as flux.
New trees: Ironwood, found in the lower caverns, has the density of iron and can take an edge.  Training sword?  It becomes a handy anti-elf weapon if it's made out of ironwood.  Bolts from Ironwood are also rather nice.  Steeloak is the aboveground version of Ironwood, and can be found in broadleaf forests.  And finally you have Glowspore, a deep cavern green-glowy tree similar in material properties to featherwood.
Unlimited steel (for the patient); Extract iron from red sand, and compress white sand into lime(stone, for now).  Compress them into blocks at a screw press, take the lime-rich white sand block and refine it into a lime(stone) boulder at a smelter.  Then for iron sand, you need flux in order to get the iron itself out of the sand.  Yes, this process takes 3 flux stones to get a single bar of steel.  But hey, it's unlimited... if time / fuel consuming.   
refine
Beds.. from a lot more sources;  Cloth, metal, glass, stone, even large gems!
Turn silicate based boulders into sand, in case your embark has none.... or you're just looking for creative ways to break down a good chunk of your boulder stockpile.
Turn vermin remains to ash, and with larger corpses, you can let your doctors practice their skills before cremating the bodies.
Use nethercap wood to create Nether-iron (a fixed temperature metal) and nethercrete items (netherkrete is pykrete made from nethercap dust.)
With enough resources and a bit of prayer, you can create a divine or demonic forge to create divine metallic items - at the whims of the powers which take your dwarves, and not without sacrifice.
Turn the bones of your enemies (or if you're boring, livestock) into flux, by processing bones into powder, then bricks, then firing, you can create a supply of flux, even barring any other sources.**

* Presently unable to make a new crystal type for this production, thus, the reaction simply makes rock crystals.  The value isn't different, however it is somewhat immersion breaking to a degree.
** New in update

The next future release will likely include new races - feel free to give me more input on things that you'd like to see.

Of note, I need to thank Putnam for the Materials Plus minor mod - while most of it does not fit my intentions with my mod, I am using it to cross check my own calculations (I tend to round up more it seems, but the discrepancies are within 2% of Putnam's values)  And for materials I had no clue on exacts for (antimony, uranium) I am using Putnam's calculations for.  I will also be using said calculations for future additions.  - I just wanted to get out version 0.1.0 for some general opinions from others where to go from here.

I also need to thank both Putnam and Meph for their assistance with my questions through getting this far in making this mod.  Especially Meph, you've been awesome putting up with my awkwardness and newbieness with a lot of the reactions.

Originally this mod was based upon the Obsidian tileset, but now has moved on to Phoebus due to lack of updates for Obsidian.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:12:59 pm by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Orichalium Dwarf Fortress v 1.0.0
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:14:20 am »

I will read through everything and give more feedback later, just wanted to say that I do love the idea. I always found the immense amount of different material and plant types a bit pointless, if you cannot use them for anything but blocks/furniture, or in the cases of plants, eat them. I solved the issue by kicking most stuff out, adding uses to the rest. Seems you want to add more uses to most everything. I like it.

But you got a typo in your name.
Orichalcum or aurichalcum is a metal mentioned in several ancient writings, including a story of Atlantis in the Critias dialogue, recorded by Plato.

Edit:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_VERMILLION_DYE]
   [NAME:make vermillion dye]
   [BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:CUSTOM_P]
   [REAGENT:CINNABAR:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]

[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:cinnibar:VERMILLION_MAT]
   [SKILL:POTTERY]
You are missing the bag to store the dye. Same thing as in the modding questions post of yours with sand. You need REAGENT:bag:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE, EMPTY, DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT, PRESERVE_REAGENT. Note the "empty", because last time you specificied that sand is in it. This time you need an empty container.

And for the product you do PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bag, and I very much hope that your inorganic has the added material reaction product VERMILLION added, and that you do have a the correct VERMILLION_MAT in it. Maybe it would be easier to make them by hand? Not using get material from reagent, but simply: POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:VERMILLION ?

You are also lacking the PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150, because all powder, like bars, needs this.

Last thing: Your reagents name is "CINNABAR", while your product calls for the material reaction product of the reagent "cinnabar". You are mixing high and low caps. Its not a set tag, its just a name. can be "bob the builder", anything you like, but it has to match.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:25:51 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.0.0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 06:37:22 am »

Edit: I feel derp, see the problem, working on a fix.  Unless my perceived fix doesn't work I should have 1.0.1 up soon.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:52:05 am by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.0.0
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:13:33 am »

Alright, 1.0.1 is up, and the making of said powders is fixed.  They go to bags as they should, etc.  However, in their present state they are inert trade goods - you cannot use them to dye cloth / thread.

If anyone wants to take a look at the RAWs and let me know what's wrong, that would be great!  Also, more opinions on the other bits as to opinions on what to add next.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:23:04 am by Evaris »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.0.1
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:31:48 am »

Your reaction is still wrong. You forgot the PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER I mentioned. Currently you preserve an empty bag, and create a pile of powder lying next to it. And could you please post your CINNABAR entry? No one can see if it has the fitting MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:36:34 am »

Your reaction is still wrong. You forgot the PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER I mentioned. Currently you preserve an empty bag, and create a pile of powder lying next to it. And could you please post your CINNABAR entry? No one can see if it has the fitting MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT.

Ah, sorry, outdated version of that RAW (not sure why that was the one that posted.);

And CINNABAR:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:08:07 am »

Its still wrong.  ;)

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION] must be [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION_MAT:INORGANIC:VERMILLION_DYE]

You asked for a VERMILLION_MAT in your reaction, but you never declared a material reaction product of that ID in the cinnabar. You can call it as you like. MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:cinnabar dye:INORGANIC:VERMILLION should work just as fine, as long as you call for the correct ID in your reaction, which would be: GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:CINNABAR:cinnabar dye. The VERMILLION_MAT is just the ID, the name of the material reaction product, but you lacked the actual product, which is INORGANIC:VERMILLION_DYE.

Again, I would forsake all that material reaction product nonsense and just go the direct route:  [PRODUCT:100:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:VERMILLION_DYE]. Its much easier.

Edit: And delete the [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION] from the reagent. You already specifically ask for Cinnabar, the reaction product doesnt matter at all, since dwarves can only use this specific item (boulder) of that specific material (cinnabar).

Edit2: Just to be clear: The entire material reaction product and material classes are just useful if you have multiple possible reagents, and/or multiple possible products. Lets say you have 10 different rocks that make dye, and 10 different dyes, and you want ONE reaction to process them all.

But since you write ONE reaction, to turn ONE material into ONE type of product, you dont need them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:11:26 am by Meph »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:12:20 am »

Its still wrong.  ;)

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION] must be [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION_MAT:INORGANIC:VERMILLION_DYE]

You asked for a VERMILLION_MAT in your reaction, but you never declared a material reaction product of that ID in the cinnabar. You can call it as you like. MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:cinnabar dye:INORGANIC:VERMILLION should work just as fine, as long as you call for the correct ID in your reaction, which would be: GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:CINNABAR:cinnabar dye. The VERMILLION_MAT is just the ID, the name of the material reaction product, but you lacked the actual product, which is INORGANIC:VERMILLION_DYE.

Again, I would forsake all that material reaction product nonsense and just go the direct route:  [PRODUCT:100:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:VERMILLION_DYE]. Its much easier.

Edit: And delete the [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION] from the reagent. You already specifically ask for Cinnabar, the reaction product doesnt matter at all, since dwarves can only use this specific item (boulder) of that specific material (cinnabar).

Edit2: Just to be clear: The entire material reaction product and material classes are just useful if you have multiple possible reagents, and/or multiple possible products. Lets say you have 10 different rocks that make dye, and 10 different dyes, and you want ONE reaction to process them all.

But since you write ONE reaction, to turn ONE material into ONE type of product, you dont need them.

Made those corrections, I get bags of the powder, but it is not acting as dye - i.e. I can't dye any cloth with it. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:27:16 am »

It should, since you have POWDER_DYE on your vermillion. But you use an inorganic, while the vanilla game uses plants. Maybe thats the issue.

Try something like this:
[PLANT:VERMILLION]
[NAME:vermillion][NAME_PLURAL:vermillion][ADJ:vermillion]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[VALUE:1]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL][USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILL:PLANT_POWDER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:vermillion dye]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:RED]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:4:0:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:10]
[POWDER_DYE:RED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[MILL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL]
[FREQUENCY:0]

The plant has no biomes, so it never grows anywhere. Just redirect your reaction to this, to PLANT_MAT instead of INORGANIC, and it should work.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:27 am »

It should, since you have POWDER_DYE on your vermillion. But you use an inorganic, while the vanilla game uses plants. Maybe thats the issue.

Try something like this:
[PLANT:VERMILLION]
[NAME:vermillion][NAME_PLURAL:vermillion][ADJ:vermillion]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[VALUE:1]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VERMILLION_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL][USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILL:PLANT_POWDER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:vermillion dye]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:RED]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:4:0:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:10]
[POWDER_DYE:RED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[MILL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL]
[FREQUENCY:0]

The plant has no biomes, so it never grows anywhere. Just redirect your reaction to this, to PLANT_MAT instead of INORGANIC, and it should work.

Yeah it's not working.  I've tried several different ideas I've had, to no avail.

Just as an example of each of the three different things I've tried ; and I have added them all as plat mats and the like, and tried different materials to see if I can make the dyes, but none of them will work. 

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 11:11:32 am »

Yeah it's not working.  I've tried several different ideas I've had, to no avail.

Just as an example of each of the three different things I've tried ; and I have added them all as plat mats and the like, and tried different materials to see if I can make the dyes, but none of them will work.

The reagent should look something like this:
[REAGENT:CompletelyArbitraryName:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:CINNABAR]
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 11:21:08 am »

A is a arbritary name. Most people use A, B, C, except when using containers, because you see those ingame. "A-containing item" doesnt help most people.

Fake-Edit: OMG, now I know what you mean. I somehow overlooked the A and thought Evaris was using CINNABAR as reagent name. Yeah, wow, that reagent doesnt work like that. 

Evaris, that should even be in your errorlog. Sorry that I didnt see it sooner, but the syntax of your reagent is completely off.   [REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:CINNABAR] is correct.

It goes:
REAGENT:name of reagent, can be anything:number:item type:item sub-type:material type:material sub-type.

In this case the name doesnt matter, A is perfectly fine.
The number is 1, since you want to use 1 boulder.
The item type is a BOULDER.
The item sub type doesnt exist for Boulders, so its none. An example with a sub-type would be WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK. This asks for a specific type of weapon, a mining pick.
Then comes the material type, which is INORGANIC.
And finally the material sub-type, in your case a specific inorganic, CINNABAR.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:03:28 pm »

A is a arbritary name. Most people use A, B, C, except when using containers, because you see those ingame. "A-containing item" doesnt help most people.

Fake-Edit: OMG, now I know what you mean. I somehow overlooked the A and thought Evaris was using CINNABAR as reagent name. Yeah, wow, that reagent doesnt work like that. 

Evaris, that should even be in your errorlog. Sorry that I didnt see it sooner, but the syntax of your reagent is completely off.   [REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:CINNABAR] is correct.

It goes:
REAGENT:name of reagent, can be anything:number:item type:item sub-type:material type:material sub-type.

In this case the name doesnt matter, A is perfectly fine.
The number is 1, since you want to use 1 boulder.
The item type is a BOULDER.
The item sub type doesnt exist for Boulders, so its none. An example with a sub-type would be WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK. This asks for a specific type of weapon, a mining pick.
Then comes the material type, which is INORGANIC.
And finally the material sub-type, in your case a specific inorganic, CINNABAR.

Well, even with this items still won't dye for some reason.... I kinda have to wonder why this is the case, but yeah.  but at least the option doesn't show up when you don't have the stone in question anymore.

Given this, I think I'll shelf this with a high value trade good as an interim solution until we can figure out coding to make new dyes work.  Aside from this, any opinions on the rest of this?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:08:33 pm by Evaris »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 03:19:13 pm »

Since you're messing with ceramics, you should make all of them magma proof while you're at it. Not that it's super relevant unless you allow mechanisms to be made out of them, etc. But still. They all should be. For pots it might be relevant to people who want to make food areas fire/magma proof.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 06:36:49 pm »

Since you're messing with ceramics, you should make all of them magma proof while you're at it. Not that it's super relevant unless you allow mechanisms to be made out of them, etc. But still. They all should be. For pots it might be relevant to people who want to make food areas fire/magma proof.

Definitely something I should do, and have now edited the RAWs for this.  And while it doesn't change particularly much seeing as as you said, you don't get mechanisms out of it, it is still something realistic about them. 

Any thoughts for the rest of my bits I'm trying to decide on? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11