Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 3.0.0  (Read 58209 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.0.1
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 11:26:13 am »

Yes, that would work. But the ammo would be flagged as "foreign" in the military screen, just like blow-darts. Its a bit more micromanagemt for players, but the only way to stop the forge/craftsdwarf of making your custom ammo cheaply.

Second question I cant halp, because I dont know the reactions. GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT should be your friend there.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 11:50:15 am »

Yes, that would work. But the ammo would be flagged as "foreign" in the military screen, just like blow-darts. Its a bit more micromanagemt for players, but the only way to stop the forge/craftsdwarf of making your custom ammo cheaply.

Second question I cant halp, because I dont know the reactions. GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT should be your friend there.

Well how would you suggest I improve this then?  I'm rather sure I got something wrong with this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As one thing I know is off - I'd like to make it require a piece of plant fiber cloth as an extra reagent, then make the bag be able to be kept, but i'm not sure how to specify plant fiber cloth. 
beyond this, not sure the product line will work, and on the metal bit I'm wondering if it might be better to divide it into five reactions for the five metals which make most sense to me:  Copper, iron, steel, lead, and uranium. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 12:02:02 pm »

[REACTION:MAKE_CARTRIDGE]
   [NAME:make ball and powder] => not "Make cartridge" ?
   [BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE] => Hotkey missing.
   [REAGENT:A:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:GUNPOWDER] => I would call "A" "Gunpowder", because players ingame will see the reagent, and it will ask for "A-containing bag". Thats not very helpful. If the reagent is called Gunpowder, than it says "Needs Gunpowder-containing bag", which is much better.
   [REAGENT:B:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:A][BAG] => Change the "A" as well.
   [REAGENT:D:2:BAR:NONE:METAL:NONE] => METAL is an outdated tag, better use INORGANIC.
   [PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:NONE:NONE:CARTRIDGE] => This is wrong. Remember, Item-Type:Item-Subtype:Material-Type:Material-Subtype. You make a random type of ammo, because you declare no sub-type, and you declare no material type at all, it will probably crash or spit out something random. I cant correct it, because I dont know your ammo sub-type (you made a new ammo for this, right?), and I dont know if you made an inorganic called INORGANIC:CARTRIDGE. I assume you didnt, because thats not an inorganic name at all. The correct form is probably AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_CARTIDGE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:D:NONE, if, and only if, you have a new ammo declared that is called ITEM_AMMO_CARTRIDE. This reagent will also produce the ammo with the material that is used, the first bar of reagent D. Which is any bar in your case, even glass or coke. So you either need to declare the metal directly, like "make steel cartridge" and add INORGANIC:STEEL, or call for a reaction_class, which you add to all metals that should be made available to be used for ammo.
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]=> Why is this here? 150 is only for powder and bars. You are not producing either. :P
[GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:D] => wrong. Its not a seperate tag, it goes where the product material is.
   [FUEL]
   [SKILL:SMELT]

The way you are going, I would actually advice going back to the wiki and spending a lot of time reading. Almost every line is wrong.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:04:20 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 12:25:12 pm »

[NAME:make ball and powder] => not "Make cartridge" ?
   [BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE] => Hotkey missing.
   [REAGENT:A:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:GUNPOWDER] => I would call "A" "Gunpowder", because players ingame will see the reagent, and it will ask for "A-containing bag". Thats not very helpful. If the reagent is called Gunpowder, than it says "Needs Gunpowder-containing bag", which is much better.
   [REAGENT:B:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:A][BAG] => Change the "A" as well.
   [REAGENT:D:2:BAR:NONE:METAL:NONE] => METAL is an outdated tag, better use INORGANIC.
   [PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:NONE:NONE:CARTRIDGE] => This is wrong. Remember, Item-Type:Item-Subtype:Material-Type:Material-Subtype. You make a random type of ammo, because you declare no sub-type, and you declare no material type at all, it will probably crash or spit out something random. I cant correct it, because I dont know your ammo sub-type (you made a new ammo for this, right?), and I dont know if you made an inorganic called INORGANIC:CARTRIDGE. I assume you didnt, because thats not an inorganic name at all. The correct form is probably AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_CARTIDGE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:D:NONE, if, and only if, you have a new ammo declared that is called ITEM_AMMO_CARTRIDE. This reagent will also produce the ammo with the material that is used, the first bar of reagent D. Which is any bar in your case, even glass or coke. So you either need to declare the metal directly, like "make steel cartridge" and add INORGANIC:STEEL, or call for a reaction_class, which you add to all metals that should be made available to be used for ammo.
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]=> Why is this here? 150 is only for powder and bars. You are not producing either. :P
[GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:D] => wrong. Its not a seperate tag, it goes where the product material is.
   [FUEL]

The way you are going, I would actually advice going back to the wiki and spending a lot of time reading. Almost every line is wrong.

Not surprised.  I should have specified, this was in no way a finalized bit, this was my trying to figure out structure and asking someone more experienced.  And while I will go back to the wiki... I tend to learn faster by either A:  Trial and error, or B: Asking someone a direct question on the topic and having it explained, in comparison to the wiki's short explanations.    I apologize given I know this must be becoming annoying with as novice as I am. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2014, 12:34:52 pm »

No, I just thought you already included it in your mod.  This IS the Mod Release sub forum. Finished mods that can be downloaded and played are posted here. Thats why I did not expect something that is work in progress.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 12:40:29 pm »

No, I just thought you already included it in your mod.  This IS the Mod Release sub forum. Finished mods that can be downloaded and played are posted here. Thats why I did not expect something that is work in progress.

Ah, no, given that this is a forum bit I thought that discussion of further improvement would be here.  I wanted to put out what I had that I liked, along with asking about where to go from there to expand it, rather than making a second thread  in modding for such discussion.    As things are, obviously, the DFFD version is still 1.0.1, but I'm hoping after this is finished up, and I decide whether to add the fixed-temp metal and/or tungsten, I'll clean up the last couple of bits and have the new version up.  So.. yeah. 

Also anything I make anywhere I tend to be in the mindset of "what can I change/add to improve it, so thus anything I post is going to be an eternal WIP... so yeah.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »

I think you do indeed want METAL, not INORGANIC. Charcoal bullets? Soap bullets? Erm, not so much. Not just a matter of efficient density. Soap bullets just wouldn't make it out of the barrel in any useful way.
Metal is reasonable and I don't know why it would be "outdated." They're pretty clearly distinguished in the raws and the tag is used in Toady's smelter reactions.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:43:42 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2014, 12:50:17 pm »

Alright, so a bit of update on where I'm at, I'm still not completely certain as to how to make it so dwarves can make hand cannons but not the cartridge... Would leaving out the ammo type in entity_default but having the custom reaction to make previously stated cartridges work?  And then with the custom reaction how would I make it so that the ammo would use the metal component of the previous reaction?  Sorry I'm just a bit confused on that. 

You should probably know that this means soldiers will show up with unloaded guns. You may want to add a bayonet or something, to avoid making these poor souls useless.

For the rest, here are some examples from my own mod that may help you out:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKEPB]
[NAME:Make Beretta Bullets]
[BUILDING:SOAP_MAKER:CUSTOM_P]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:LEAD]
[PRODUCT:100:30:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_beretta:INORGANIC:LEAD]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]

As you can see from my product, to get the metal you want you add "INORGANIC:METALYOUWANT", not "METAL" Like J wants you to think. The reagent is a metal bar, showing how that would be done.

When I was starting out, I usually just copied and pasted parts until I figured out what they did. There are a ton of vanilla reactions that you can learn from, and you could probably create a frankenstien's monster version of a mod just from them.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »

Mkay what about this then?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2014, 12:54:47 pm »

I think you do indeed want METAL, not INORGANIC. Charcoal bullets? Soap bullets? Erm, not so much. Not just a matter of efficient density. Soap bullets just wouldn't make it out of the barrel in any useful way.
Metal is reasonable and I don't know why it would be "outdated." They're pretty clearly distinguished in the raws and the tag is used in Toady's smelter reactions.
The METAL and the INORGANIC tag are literally the same. a METAL bar would also be coke or glass. Trust me on that one.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2014, 12:55:46 pm »

[NAME:make ball and powder]
   [BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
   [REAGENT:GUNPOWDER:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:GUNPOWDER]
   [REAGENT:B:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:GUNPOWDER][BAG]
   [REAGENT:C:2:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:BALL]
   [PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_CARTRIDGE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:C:NONE]
   [FUEL]

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 12:59:48 pm »

[NAME:make ball and powder]
   [BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
   [REAGENT:GUNPOWDER:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:GUNPOWDER]
   [REAGENT:B:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:GUNPOWDER][BAG]
   [REAGENT:C:2:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:BALL]
   [PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_CARTRIDGE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:C:NONE]
   [FUEL]

Gotcha, thank you again ^^

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »

You should also put:
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]After the box, or it will be used up.

You also forgot the Hotkey:
[BUILDING:SMELTER:CUSTOM_LETTER!]
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 01:23:36 pm »

You should also put:
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]After the box, or it will be used up.

You also forgot the Hotkey:
[BUILDING:SMELTER:CUSTOM_LETTER!]

I intend the bag to be used up as part of it, seeing as the gunpowder in the bag is then distributed to the rounds, and since the ammo is called "cartridge" / "Ball and powder"  the powder is in bags cut from the larger bag, for each of the bullets.  I would otherwise use simply plant fiber cloth, but i don't know the tag specifically for cloth.

As for custom letter... didn't really have one, though I figure I may as well. 

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.1.0
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 04:08:06 pm »

Content update;  Hand-cannons are in, along with arsenic bronze, molybendium steel, and Athracite. 

Boulders to sand isn't in this one since I'm still going over what types of rock in DF could actually be realistically be broken down with reasonable effort into sand.  Which is so far.. quartzite and sandstone.  Any input here is helpful, as well as the other considerations:

Nether cap powder to be utilized for other material types.  A type of metal is sure to come, but ceramics and/or stone in the form of a cement are possible.  Leave your feedback in the thread.
Make elves more easily hateable.  Because if you don't hate them already, you should.  However, ideas as how to do so would be wonderful.
Possible future metals:  Maganese, Tungsten, Platinum Sterling, Meteorites, and Iridium.  Please leave feedback in the thread as to their use.
More weapons?  Perhaps longbows for elves / humans, other elvish weapons to increase their lethality?  Or other weapons there are thoughts for that could be a generalized type?
New races?  Orcs, kitsune, perhaps others?  Looking for an additional player race, a neutral race, and a race that you will always be at war with.  This is up for debate as to how or if this should be implemented.  Please leave feedback as you will.

Beyond this, anyone have any other bits they think would fit my theme that I could consider perhaps? 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11