Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 3.0.0  (Read 57896 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.1.0
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 04:11:08 pm »

Elves use wooden equipment, which is really bad. But wood could be good equipment, if the wood used is very strong. I added Ironbark and Steeloak to my mod, which as the name hints at, is iron grade and steel grade. The wooden equipment is very much better, but dwarves cant melt it down (since its not metal, but metal grade wood.)

This means stronger elves, but no goblinite from them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 04:28:13 pm »

Ah, [REACTION_CLASS:BALL] does the trick, then, okay.

Boulders to sand isn't in this one since I'm still going over what types of rock in DF could actually be realistically be broken down with reasonable effort into sand.  Which is so far.. quartzite and sandstone.  Any input here is helpful
Again, I'm not sure why anyone would take the effort to grind silica boulders into sand only to turn around and melt it immediately afterward. Thus making all of the effort spent making it into sand totally irrelevant...

Higher surface area = faster melting, sure, but:
1) Something like small gravel or even medium chunks (like pebbles) would be more than sufficient. This would only take moments, and might save you an hour of melting. Sand, however, is crazily inefficient. You'd be spending days more time grinding some super-hard boulder purely to save yourself minutes of time in melting.
2) Given #1, for abstract DF purposes, a whole boulder is probably just fine. Presumably when one makes rock crafts, they break it into small chunks first, too. It doesn't need to be specified as a reaction there, so it shouldn't here, either. Just pretend they swing a hammer at it a few times and then toss it in the pot. You would only need smaller grains if you were simultaneously adding some critical other component for the melting process (like a flux to lower melting temperature, which you aren't doing) AND if not having that critical component would risk destroying the process if not integrated soon enough (like by your main ingredient oxidizing if left by itself too long, which shouldn't be an issue for just the quartz)

Even if you were simulating actual soda lime glassmaking, it wouldn't be a huge deal. The soda is only added to lower temperature, but larger chunks would just mean it would do this more slowly. Sort of like salting a sidewalk with chunks of ice being slower than a snowy driveway. And the lime is added only to make the final glass not water-soluble, which is not an issue during firing where all water was boiled off very early on.

So sand would save you on fuel a bit, but probably not be worth it in effort, or the exotic materials you'd need to do it (like gemstones)

If you were doing pottery glazes, then it would be a different story -- you would indeed need a fine sand or powder in order to coat it onto the piece with precision patterns. But glass materials just get thrown into a big ole' pot and liquefied.

That said, you should be able to use any of the mostly-silica minerals that exist in the game. For starters, a by no means exhaustive list, just picking ones out that I know are quartz-heavy off the top of my head:
-rhyolite
-obsidian
-quartzite
-chert
-sandstone
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:03:19 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 06:26:21 pm »

the honestly only real reason why it's boulder to sand is how glassmaking is locked in the system, so I figure it's easier to give people control what they make by just breaking it down to sand outright.
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.1.1
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 03:21:19 am »

As an update for the curious, the following is what will probably be in the next update, unless I find some major bugs in the next couple of days of playtesting. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still considering Iridium, Tungsten, and the like, but again I was hoping for some sort of input on them in particular with how they might fit in.  Nethercap powder infused items may or may not be in depending on if I manage to decide how I want to implement it.  Nethercrete stone is rather plausible to be in - however I do want to implement a metal version of it.  I'm debating on what to have it be an alloy with - Arsenic, Antimony, Lead, Iron, and Mercury are the five I'm debating and I'm having trouble deciding, however Mercury is what makes most sense to me, if but the fact that such would require adding in the liquid metal, and I don't know standard glob size.  And then said semi-magical alloy needs a name. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 09:06:15 am »

As an update for the curious, the following is what will probably be in the next update, unless I find some major bugs in the next couple of days of playtesting. 

Still considering Iridium, Tungsten, and the like, but again I was hoping for some sort of input on them in particular with how they might fit in.  Nethercap powder infused items may or may not be in depending on if I manage to decide how I want to implement it.  Nethercrete stone is rather plausible to be in - however I do want to implement a metal version of it.  I'm debating on what to have it be an alloy with - Arsenic, Antimony, Lead, Iron, and Mercury are the five I'm debating and I'm having trouble deciding, however Mercury is what makes most sense to me, if but the fact that such would require adding in the liquid metal, and I don't know standard glob size.  And then said semi-magical alloy needs a name.
The current version doesn't really define the size of a glob, but since these things do impact damage there has to be a mass declared somewhere.  In DF2014, a glob is finally defined as size 150 (the same as a bar of the same material).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.2.0
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 12:01:45 am »

New update is up. 

Still haven't managed to come up with an idea for the name of the nethercap powder alloy yet, though I have decided on Antimony being the base metal... The three names I've gotten so far are;
Gunnerkrigg
Kaltmetall
and Makhairapagos

none of them seem quite right to me though... but I'm most definitely open for options. 
I'm also still toying with Iridium and Tungsten.  Iridium could be a smelting reaction for meteors with something like a 50% chance of obtaining a bar from said meteor, giving more of a reason to use them.  But I'm not certain how to balance it.  Tungsten is more of a concern to balance as while neither iridium nor tungsten are candy-level metals, they are still superior to steel, and reduces the reason to utilize them, aside from perhaps limiting tungsten to single-tile deposits perhaps?  Not sure, trying to balance it on rarity obviously, but I also don't want goblins/humans to have access to it, as it just doesn't make sense to me for them to. 

Aside from this, I will probably as something which just re-popped into my head, include in the next future update stone to potash... because our variant of Mica is known as "potash mica" for a reason. 

But that's just what's on my mind right now as I post my update and such, I think I'm going to go get some sleep and hope for some interesting feedback.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.2.0
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 11:26:52 pm »

Update 1.2.1:  Minor bugfixes (name of glowspore, and a few others).  Modified the material requirements for beds due to personal concerns of gem / metal beds being too easy to make.  Metal beds may now also be chosen from a list, and the metals for gem beds now exclude metals on the low and those on the high end of worth.  Instead you'll use bars of iron/bronze/cobalt/etc.   Also added in gunmetal as an alloy;  8 copper bars + 1 zinc bar + 1 tin bar + 1 lead bar = 10 gunmetal bars.  Cassiterite should also be slightly more common now.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.2.1
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39:05 am »

Always a big fan of long drawn out and realistic processes. I will watch with growing interest.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 1.3.0
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 11:07:59 pm »

1.3.0 is a direct port to support DF 2014.  It is supporting obsidian still, though not all parts of the tileset are working properly.  Beyond this things appear to be working the same as the core game. 

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress v 2.0.0
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2014, 03:03:29 pm »

Proper update, nethercrete and nether-iron are in, along with a few bugfixes I saw, and I figured to match the randomly generated divine metals, I'd make it possible to get a couple in fortress mode... if you have enough resources, luck, and willingness to make a sacrifice to the gods / demons/ forces that be.

King Kravoka

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2014, 10:20:55 pm »

Tweaks:
-Dwarves are given more tools to make.  Because I find it weird for dwarves to butcher and bone animals without the proper knives. 
-Civilized races are now more likely to have settlements along a river in world gen.  Practical reasons should be obvious.
-Made Elf ethics more hateable than they were already.

How hateable?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:22:43 pm by King Kravoka »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2014, 10:36:13 pm »

Tweaks:
-Dwarves are given more tools to make.  Because I find it weird for dwarves to butcher and bone animals without the proper knives. 
-Civilized races are now more likely to have settlements along a river in world gen.  Practical reasons should be obvious.
-Made Elf ethics more hateable than they were already.

How hateable?

Well unfortunately I just checked and in the present version it is running vanilla since I let that slip in updating my entity RAW, so that oversight is being fixed. 

King Kravoka

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2014, 06:22:15 pm »

Is this DF2014 compatable?

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 02:39:56 am »

This is exactly the kind of mod I've been looking for: just sensible additions. However, I'm not bothering with DF2014 until DFHack supports it, so does anyone still have v.1.2.1 of this mod (the last supporting DF2012) handy for me to try in the mean time? There doesn't seem to be any way to download old versions from DFFD. Thanks in advance.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 06:53:36 am »

by the way, here is the CuNi, white bronze, cupronickel that I added to the OldGenesis mod a few years ago.
Should I borrow some CuNi numbers from your mod?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11