Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game Crashes  (Read 2602 times)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Game Crashes
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:04 am »

So I was playing last night and my game crashed and besides it happening during world generation when I mucked with the advanced settings this hasn't happened before.

I am using LNP r55, and my game crashed twice in a Joyous Wilds region when some for of birdmen showed up in the area. The first time I believe it happened exactly when I tried to move up a Z-level and the other time it did so when a Kea man stole something from me.

Things that were different about this particular game are:
1-Trying to create a long running fort where everything but the inital seven dwarves is produced in fort. So I used fix/population-cap force.
2-In order not to get sieges based on created wealth that could easily outnumber my population I set the various triggers in that regard to 0 so that I would be sieged only once my population was at a certain level.
3-While I am using LNP r55, I may have genned the world on LNP r54.

I did search the bug tracker for any mention of kea's, but not birdmen in general (didn't occur to me at the time but will do so in a bit), but neither sounded as though it was relevant here. So any help in figuring out what could be the primary cause of this would be helpful.

Edit: It also occurred to me that I changed from seasonal saves to yearly ones, and while I thought nothing of it at the time but when I went to look for bug reports in relation to bird men I saw one about 2GB memory limit causing crashes and I suspect, but am not positive, that saving the game is an opportunity to offload and free up memory.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:48:14 am by sal880612m »
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:23:30 am »

I'm by no means an expert but I have never seen complaints of error like this one before where a crash is caused by bird men showing up or causing announced events. It may or may not be related to the crash that the kea men were there both times but it would be quite a coincidence.  The modding forum might be a good place to ask about this since you are using some minor mods and the people who hang out in that forum tend to be very knowledgeable about the game's inner workings.

I know that saves don't generally port very well between different versions of DF so if the LNP 54 and 55 use different versions of DF that could be part of the problem.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:36:12 am »

The two LNP packs are for the same release of DF 0.34.11 so I don't think save compatability should be an issue but I am not as well enough versed in such things to be positive. I am also fairly certain that since I am using acceptable values according to the wiki for all the mods in the raws that isn't the issue. There's fix/population-cap force, which it could be but I have my pop-cap set to 7 and if it caused crashes there would likely be some mention of it in the DFHack readme. That basically leaves the memory limit being exceeded, which is known to cause crashes. At this point it would just be nice to have confirmation that it does actually behave the way I suspect it does.

Thanks for the suggestions.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:22:53 pm »

You can see how much memory a process uses in task manager.

And I guess you could try to set the siege values to something low like 1 instead of 0. Ruling out zero-division errors and the like.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 07:01:40 am »

If you think you ran out of memory (which is so easily doable it almost surprised me), I'd make DF large address aware.
Now I can run 16x16 embarks with 500 dwarves (poor fps but it works [500 dwarves is fun, large embarks look cool but are ultimately no better than normal embarks] ).

DF is typically fairly stable for the chaos it must be under the hood. I would suggest that it be a material in the raws that isn't properly defined and causes a crash, but the error log details that fairly well.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 02:40:10 am »

Now I can run 16x16 embarks with 500 dwarves (poor fps but it works [500 dwarves is fun, large embarks look cool but are ultimately no better than normal embarks] ).

That's very large embark. You can have four forts on the map!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:47:33 pm »

That's very large embark. You can have four forts on the map!

Its the largest you can do. And I don't recommend it. The extra resources aren't needed, and the lag introduced is quite significant. The only benefit is that, with such a large landscape, it looks like a landscape. Its pretty, but the lag isn't worth it.