Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we have a DF2014 King of the Hill Thread?

RIGHT NOW
- 6 (54.5%)
Wait for stability
- 5 (45.5%)
Never
- 0 (0%)
Don't care
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread  (Read 18414 times)

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:56 am »

Hey guys, I just came up with this idea for a succession thread, and I decided to give it a shot. So, basically, it's a normal adventure mode succession thread where each person makes an adventurer in the world one after another, but there's a twist. The first person will adventure and then retire in a specific town or site, and then another person will create an adventurer whose sole purpose is to kill off the last adventurer, and then retire in the same place. All adventurers should start at peasant or hero, and the idea is that each turn we will get a more and more epic hero in this site. I'm not positive it will work, but I figured, heck, why not give it a shot? I'll go ahead and start the turn list if anyone wants to sign up. I'll take the liberty of being first, as the first person doesn't really have a goal.

RULES
  • Ask to sign up, and you will be added to the end of the list.
  • You have 1 week to play your adventurer, and after you retire/die horribly in a pit of fire, you can build a fort with our remaining time.
  • Please don't go on a massacre killing civilizations, we'd prefer to keep a populated world.
  • After killing the previous adventurer, move to another town/hamlet/fortress/whatever to retire, as the previous adventurer's town/hamlet/fortress/whatever will now be hostile to you.
  • Bonus points if you take "trophies" from the previous adventurers, however you interpret trophies.
  • Don't savescum, use DFHack, use external programs to give you an unfair edge, or otherwise cheat in anyway. It ruins the fun.
  • Have Fun!
  • Remember, losing is fun!

Turn List
1. Deepfreeze78(Failed, Killed in tomb) Links: 1
2. Escondida(Failed, Killed by Bandits, Built Awesome Fort Thingy) Links: 1 Fort
3. Neblime(Failed, Links: 1 2 3 4)
4. Gamedragon(Failed, Links: 1)
5. Gamerscout(Settled in Mirroredcounselled, first succesful, Links:1)
6. Kalsb(Missed)
7. fucduck(Missed)
8. Neblime(Success! Killed Gamerscout's adventurer, then settled in insightlulled)
9. Timeless Bob(Lost Save)
10. Gamedragon(Murdered by Hippos)
11. DeepFreeze78(Skipped)
12. 10terrapin01(Next)
13. Mr.Mountain
14. Bloax
15. iajrz

World Gen Settings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The World Map
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:49:00 am by deepfreeze78 »
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:43:16 pm »

I guess if no one's signing up yet, I'll just go ahead and start my character. I'll post details on him soon, but for whatever reason the pages keep becoming unresponsive and I have to "kill" them in chrome... I don't know what's going on.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 05:30:43 pm »

My Adventurer

Mangdu Sodorgam "Mangdu Deepfreeze" The Male Human Outsider

Attributes

Skills

Description

Entry 1

Entry 2

Entry 3, The End

Well, that ended quicker than I imagined. Shouldn't have risked going into the tomb, I just didn't know for the life of me how bad it was going to be. Well, who wants to pick up next? I'm obviously not the king of the hill....

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:08:45 pm »

If it's cool, I'll take a turn. Should I use your world, or one of my own? I have one fresh-genned.

Also, should this succession world follow the example of The Museum and have players whose adventurers die take the rest of the week to create a fort for adventurers to visit? That would be pretty rad, in my opinion (which is possessed of an almost unseemly amount of humility). If you agree, I'll gladly wait until you've finished making an awesome fort to discover. (-:

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:15:56 pm »

Use my world, I'll upload it as soon as I can. And sure, if you die early you can make a fort, but I think I'll pass on it because I'm pretty bad at making anything cool in fort mode.

I wasn't anticipating me dying so quick, so I guess if you survive long enough to settle down somewhere then you'll choose the "hill."

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:28:54 pm »

If it's cool, I'll take a turn. Should I use your world, or one of my own? I have one fresh-genned.

Also, should this succession world follow the example of The Museum and have players whose adventurers die take the rest of the week to create a fort for adventurers to visit? That would be pretty rad, in my opinion (which is possessed of an almost unseemly amount of humility). If you agree, I'll gladly wait until you've finished making an awesome fort to discover. (-:

Sent the save to you.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 07:17:15 pm »

Got it! Put together an adventurer, was about to get started on my journey, when I saw...

I thought at first that I'd stumbled into some sort of crazy graveyard, but it turns out that those are supposed to be fire clay and white sand tiles...and trust me, that's not what they're supposed to look like (-: .

I'm guessing this is that bug where using a graphics set screws up the world for people using text; I've never come across directions on how to reverse the effect. If you have any ideas, let me know, but as is...if I try to play like this, I'll keep being afraid I'm, like, having a freak out.

I can either hang on to this for a while and hope someone knows how to fix it, let whoever wants to go next take their turn instead, or use a graphics-set free world; any of these options works for me. If the middle option, I hope that the succession goes well, and I will watch with interest to see how the world develops (-: .

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:22:40 pm »

Oh crap I forgot about that bug... I think that Lazy Newb pack updates saves when changing tilesets, so I could try changing the tileset back to ASCII, and uploading it again to see if it fixes it.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 07:28:15 pm »

If that wouldn't be too much trouble, that would be much appreciated! You sure you don't want to make an awesome fort or anything to get the ball rolling?

I suppose at some point I should look at the source for LNP if it's available to see what witchery it does to make that happen...then make it known to the world via the wiki (-:

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 07:32:29 pm »

Uploading the hopefully fixed version now, I'll send you the link soon. I'm gonna pass on the fort, I would just be taking up valuable space for other people's forts, not that there's not enough space for everything.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:53:07 pm »

Awesome, I'll look forward to it. For now, though, it's time for me to sign off for the evening.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 08:05:33 pm »

this seems pretty cool but i can't help but think it will be sooooooo much better in df2014 which kind of puts me off..
ah what the hell i better hone my adventure skills for that anyway, sign me up!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:22:51 pm »

Alright Neblime, you'll go after Escondida. Definitely starting to get the ball rolling!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 08:51:45 am »

A thought: if someone retires and we succeed in killing them, won't we be enemies of the site where they died and unable to retire there, as the retired adventurer will be a member of that civ?  I suppose we can just travel to a different civ and retire..
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 01:01:53 pm »

Well crap, I did not think of that. I guess we could go to different civs to retire then.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13