Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we have a DF2014 King of the Hill Thread?

RIGHT NOW
- 6 (54.5%)
Wait for stability
- 5 (45.5%)
Never
- 0 (0%)
Don't care
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread  (Read 18394 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 04:20:16 pm »

Regarding the graphics issues (assuming that you have not fixed it yet): We suffered the same problem in Steelhold, but I believe we managed to fix it by copying a fresh set of the vanilla raws into the raw folder. Assuming that this would work with your mod-pack, I would recommend trying this with a copied version of your game.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 06:19:55 pm »

Regarding the graphics issues (assuming that you have not fixed it yet): We suffered the same problem in Steelhold, but I believe we managed to fix it by copying a fresh set of the vanilla raws into the raw folder. Assuming that this would work with your mod-pack, I would recommend trying this with a copied version of your game.

Izzat really all it takes? Daaaaaang! Well, I'll redownload in an hour or so (I'm between errands), and hopefully have at least some early adventures ready by tonight. With any luck, I'll be able to keep an adventurer alive; if not, I guess I'll do the "make a fort for the rest of the week" thing and hopefully have someplace interesting for the next person to check out, if that's still the consensus.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 07:22:32 pm »

You should modify the rules to include that before an adventurer can die, they need to collect a "trophy" from every previous adventurer in the list.  Successful adventurers will have all the previous trophies with them, which will make things nice and tidy, but unsuccessful[/] adventurers corpses will possibly be scatter all over the world, which can make the next adventurer's quest a little more difficult.

Extra points if you collect the trophies in chronological order of most recent to oldest...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 07:30:53 pm »

You should modify the rules to include that before an adventurer can die, they need to collect a "trophy" from every previous adventurer in the list.  Successful adventurers will have all the previous trophies with them, which will make things nice and tidy, but unsuccessful[/] adventurers corpses will possibly be scatter all over the world, which can make the next adventurer's quest a little more difficult.

Extra points if you collect the trophies in chronological order of most recent to oldest...

What do you mean by trophies? Like their weapons and stuff? Or perhaps a severed limb? Or something from the monsters they killed?
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 08:15:08 pm »

That sounds pretty punishing, I have to say, especially considering the fabulously unlikely ways adventurers can die. Also, particularly ornery players could always hike out to the middle of a mountain range or something just to make things more grueling (but not more difficult or interesting, gameplay-wise) for everybody else...

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 08:50:53 pm »

That sounds pretty punishing, I have to say, especially considering the fabulously unlikely ways adventurers can die. Also, particularly ornery players could always hike out to the middle of a mountain range or something just to make things more grueling (but not more difficult or interesting, gameplay-wise) for everybody else...

Well, I made it an optional thing, so if you wish to take trophies from previous adventurers great, if not, oh well.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 11:38:34 pm »

Cool, cool.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the brief, fabulous adventure of R Y E   W O N D E R E D C H A N C E S...and yes, the RNG gave me that last name on the first go! Oh df, I ♥ you. Alas, I neglected to take a picture of her description, but here's where she started, roughly, and her stats:

Pigs. I hate 'em. Other villagers say pigs are good. Raise 'em for meat. Keep 'em as pets. Have them make friends with spiders. I say pigs are pigs. Their beady, evil little eyes, their bloodstained trotters, the disgusting mushrooms they dig up...ugh. I told everybody I was going to leave to kill all the pigs. "But Rye," they said, "Pigs are harmless woodland creatures! Why not kill some bandits, instead?" I remembered a time when I saw a pig up close. I remember it laughing and striking a menacing pose. I was surrounded by the pig. I was terrified.

"No," I told them, "I will kill pigs. I will kill all the pigs until they are dead, and then I will cut them up and wear their skins."

They sighed. They don't understand the hideous menace that would live right outside the town gates if the town had gates!

That was a good day. I went for a swim, I killed many pigs. This time, I was the one striking a menacing pose! I came home soaked in their blood, which I gleefully drank that night when I got thirsty. Luckily, pigs are not like vampires: you do not become one when you drink their blood.

The next day, I went out and found no pigs, because I had killed them. This made me very angry, of course, so instead I chased down a giraffe and clubbed it to death with the tusk of a pig. I watched the light in its eyes go out, as it pitifully whimpered "gi-raffe, gi-raffe" as all giraffes do. Then I ate its eyes. Not as good as beady pig eyes.

I heard a shout from nearby and went to investiage; maybe someone was under attack by pigs, and I would save them! I must keep people safe from pigs at all cost.

But no, it was no pig. It was merely a group of bandits. I threw water at them and bruised their stinking guts.

The pathetic bandit passed out under my furious onslaught, so I snuck up on him and cut off his head. Suddenly, I noticed another bandit, and threw the gory head at him.

Those two fools taken care of, I looted their bodies and came away an iron helm and a pair of bronze boots richer. I then threw my old shoes at their piggish leader!

Killing these bandits made me realize that there was more to life than killing pigs; I could kill people, too! This would solve so many problems for me. I suddenly remembered the bandits my treacherous, pig-loving "friends" back home had wanted me to kill, so I sought them out. Almost right away, I tripped over one, who considerately pulled my sword out of the gaping wound in his chest.

Unfortunately, after I'd cut off a couple of his limbs, he noticed me standing their next to him lopping away and called out to his friends, who shot me full of arrows and I died. The last thing I ever saw before i died was the severed head of a pig I'd been carrying around with me. At least I died happy.

It is a good thing these murderous bandits do not have any slabs, tools, or a crafting workshop. One day, one day...I will rise again as a ghost, and my vengeful spirit will be the death of all the pigs who dare walk these woods. The bandits, too, will fear my name, once the greater threat has been eliminated once and for all.

...In case you hadn't guessed, most of her kills were wild boars, and I used social skills as dump stats. Basically, she was a complete sociopath and it's probably for the best that she died. Y'know, like most adventurers.

Since my adventurer died before finding any awesome spots to settle down, I suppose I'll just have to build one. I'll post back with the save in a few days, when I've made a cabin for folks to visit and a fort for them to explore! Huzzah!

(Don't worry, if anything happens that means I won't be able to accomplish one of the goals in a reasonable amount of time, I'll post the save ASAP.)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 12:45:15 am »

Can I please have a go?

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 12:47:42 am »

Can I please have a go?

I'll add you to the end of the list!

Since my adventurer died before finding any awesome spots to settle down, I suppose I'll just have to build one. I'll post back with the save in a few days, when I've made a cabin for folks to visit and a fort for them to explore! Huzzah!

(Don't worry, if anything happens that means I won't be able to accomplish one of the goals in a reasonable amount of time, I'll post the save ASAP.)

Alright! Can't wait to see what you make!

gamerscout

• Bay Watcher
  • Warrior of the lurker army
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 03:44:31 pm »

Can I be added to the list?

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 04:40:46 pm »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 04:59:05 pm »

Work is proceeding apace on Lurebridges (again, the RNG comes through in a pinch...though this time, not on the first try), but I can't share the work because it is secret. I'm hoping to give us something worth fighting over...

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 07:32:28 pm »

Work is proceeding apace on Lurebridges (again, the RNG comes through in a pinch...though this time, not on the first try), but I can't share the work because it is secret. I'm hoping to give us something worth fighting over...

I don't think you can retire at abandoned fortresses, but I may be wrong. If I am wrong, then that would be amazing to have a fortress to fight over. Maybe through retiring it as a hamlet/town/whatever through DFHack? I think that you can do something like that, at least according to the Museum.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 09:44:36 pm »

Hmm...good point. I'll look into that. IIrc, the Museum is just the castle of  a human town. I'll look at the dfhack docs, and if I can't find anything positive, I'll ask in the dfhack thread.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 10:05:29 pm »

Hmm...good point. I'll look into that. IIrc, the Museum is just the castle of  a human town. I'll look at the dfhack docs, and if I can't find anything positive, I'll ask in the dfhack thread.

I know the museum is just a human town, but in the rules section it says there is some way to abandon your fortress while letting it still go on its own, so if you build the fortress, get everything there to die somehow, then abandon it using the dfhack thing, then maybe it will work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13