Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we have a DF2014 King of the Hill Thread?

RIGHT NOW
- 6 (54.5%)
Wait for stability
- 5 (45.5%)
Never
- 0 (0%)
Don't care
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread  (Read 18416 times)

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Hill: An Adventure Mode Succession Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 10:07:38 pm »

Here's what it says:

There are tools that can be helpful when designing a fortress: DFhack allows you to retire fortresses instead of abandoning them, making them functional dwarf fortresses. You can also abandon your fortress in such a way that items don't scatter all over the place, this is *very* helpful. More information here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81738.0
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 11:22:49 pm »

Exxxxxxxxxcellent.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 06:13:40 am »

so uh, is my turn after that's set up? :S
(see, df2014 would solve our problems)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 11:41:58 am »

so uh, is my turn after that's set up? :S
(see, df2014 would solve our problems)

Yep your turns right after escondida finishes her fort and uploads the save.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 01:52:41 pm »

I'm getting back to work now, and I'll confess that I have been unashamedly using dfhack's fastdwarf (by the way, can I just say that fastdwarf is *hilarious*? It's...it's really bizarre to see them zipping around like that) so I can get this built and pass it on quickly (with the next release coming so soon, I definitely don't want to hog the save and risk this petering out before it even properly begins), so I should have it up by tomorrow at the very latest. I'm about to work some more on it now, so we'll see how that goes.

If I built the pump stack correctly (I generally do), the magma moat should be done shortly, and it shouldn't take too long to dam river downstream from the seeeeeeeecret waterfall entrance. ...I may have said too much.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 07:59:22 pm »

hey if we're using dfhack, we can just forcibly retire at the site even if we make everyone mad right? (otherwise it's going to suck that only every OTHER adventurer can retire at this thing you're building)
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 08:13:35 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean every other adenturer in this case. From what I gleaned from the above posts, it seems like it should be semi-safe to retire here if you don't want to retire in a town or something.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 08:22:53 pm »

hey if we're using dfhack, we can just forcibly retire at the site even if we make everyone mad right? (otherwise it's going to suck that only every OTHER adventurer can retire at this thing you're building)

Oh yeah, you can't retire at the places that you've killed anyone else that's retired, so I guess we will have to forcibly retire. I'm not wuite sure how to do this, could you explain?

I'm not sure what you mean every other adenturer in this case. From what I gleaned from the above posts, it seems like it should be semi-safe to retire here if you don't want to retire in a town or something.

Well if you kill the previous adventurer, then you can't retire in the same place because it will be hostile to ou.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »

Well if you kill the previous adventurer, then you can't retire in the same place because it will be hostile to you.
this is what i meant.

I am not familiar with dfhack, so dont ask me!  I just wondered if it could do that?  I thought you could forcibly affiliate people with civs/entities?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 09:04:11 pm »

If you check out the Dwarfopoly link in my sig, I've made a visual guide with a step-by-step about how to retire fortresses as towns and villages using DFhack.  Something you should be aware of, though, every time an adventurer goes to sleep in an area, it will re-load all of the populations that the place is supposed to have then load all the population you've met - which means some areas will get FPS death after a few retirements in the same spot from all the extra animals and people that swarm you there.  It's better to retire a fortress but as something for others to explore, rather than as a place for your hero to reside for all time.

Also, retiring a fortress on one side of the world doesn't mean that your adventurer won't emigrate to the next fortress over on someone else's turn - they're part of future fortress populations the same as anyone else if they're a dwarf, which can be fun.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:20 pm »

If you check out the Dwarfopoly link in my sig, I've made a visual guide with a step-by-step about how to retire fortresses as towns and villages using DFhack.  Something you should be aware of, though, every time an adventurer goes to sleep in an area, it will re-load all of the populations that the place is supposed to have then load all the population you've met - which means some areas will get FPS death after a few retirements in the same spot from all the extra animals and people that swarm you there.  It's better to retire a fortress but as something for others to explore, rather than as a place for your hero to reside for all time.

Also, retiring a fortress on one side of the world doesn't mean that your adventurer won't emigrate to the next fortress over on someone else's turn - they're part of future fortress populations the same as anyone else if they're a dwarf, which can be fun.

I really should've done more research into this before starting this... Maybe instead of having a specific place, have it so that the whole world is the "hill" so that whichever adventurer is alive has the hill, wherever they're retired.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 10:36:44 pm »

Alright! Thanks to the magic of fastdwarf (which is honestly kind of exhausting; if you ever want to make sure you don't cheat again, use fastdwarf for a while, I was able to get this to be at least slightly presentable---not what I'd call amazing, alas, but c'est la vie; at least it's showy---in a mere two dwarf years (or two real days).

As far as I can tell, you can safely retire there.

Spoiler: The location (click to show/hide)

You'll know you've come to the right place when you find...
Spoiler: the moat (click to show/hide)

Oh, and that submerged structure further up the dammed river, with a small entrance by the well near where the waterfall used to be? I wouldn't worry about that. That's probably not a cozy little underwater house filled with masterful armament to make sure your adventurer is particularly difficult to defeat..

Spoiler: The house (click to show/hide)

Oh, and the caverns are all open, so should you desire to go spelunking, that option's there.

Here's the file.

Good luck to whoever goes next! May your adventures be glorious, and your death in battle with the next player equally so!

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 10:46:46 pm »

Alright! Neblime, you're up! Maybe you'll be the first to claim the hill!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 11:28:46 pm »

Here's a thought: Each time you want to retire and the original "hill" has suffered FPS death, just make a 2x2 embark next to it and expand "the hill" a bit more.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 11:36:20 pm »

Here's a thought: Each time you want to retire and the original "hill" has suffered FPS death, just make a 2x2 embark next to it and expand "the hill" a bit more.

There's still the problem of the adventurers migrating to forts.... I guess we can just track down the previous adventurer, then go to the fort. We'll figure it out when we get there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13