Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 80

Author Topic: Supernatural 7 - Game over - Town Win!  (Read 183932 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural 7 - Day 1 - The Council of 13
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2014, 09:01:25 pm »

This is where he asked.
Tiruin: What third party type do you most fear?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2014, 09:02:08 pm »

Oh, ninja'd.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2014, 10:17:28 pm »

where
Imperial Guardsman: In my first post in this thread.  Here's a quote:
Tiruin: What third party type do you most fear?
How carefully did you read my initial post?
Very, I overlooked that.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:32 am »

Imperial Guardsman: Alright.

Another question: at the time that you FoSed me, Toaster's only post had RVS questions, but none about third parties.  Were you aware of this?  If so, what made you choose to single me out?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2014, 05:49:59 am »

His Toastliness
Going on past experience, derping around, pointless theorycrafting on the nature of the scum team, then a mislynch.  If we're lucky there will be some worthy data points to look back on come D2.
Yeah that does sound plausible. Do you have any suggestions for making the first day more useful?

Indiana Persus
Everyone: Anyone willing to bet on the scum team this time around?
It'll be you and Tiruin in a inverted satanic golem cult. I called it first.

Notquitethere: What do you think about the Priest role in Supernatural games. If you were a priest, how would you play differently from Supernatural 6?
I'd be tempted to resurrect early like before, as I'm always worried about dying before I get to use my powers, but maybe I'd wait and resurrect someone who was competent and had a useful role this time. How would you treat a Priest role?

Jack
notquitethere: I will play like I normally do: hunt for scum, re-evaluate reads constantly/be open to the idea that I'm erring in my reads, and try to make sure that any lynch going through is for good reason.
Sounds good. Look forward to seeing this.

Hypothetical situation: You're town at 3 person lylo.  One of the other players has posted many, many posts throughout the game, and is always online when others are.  That player's posts, however, are low on game-related content both individually and as a group.  The second player has a job that prevents them from posting much, and usually manages one post per real-time day.  Their posts, however, are high on content and well-reasoned.  Based on that evidence alone, who do you vote to lynch?
If I think the lower post count person is more engaged in the game as a game of mafia and there was literally nothing else to go on, I'd vote the mass poster, but more generally scum are almost never the most frequent posters (last year, by my count, only one game had scum as the most frequent poster). What would you do in that situation?

ZU
nqt: if i needed to
Phone post. I've been there. Do you think you're going to be engaged enough with the game to be able to give your reads on Friday?

Wolf
We've had this argument before.  I don't like it, but I'm not going to push the issue.  We've had a difference of opinions since GBU and it isn't going to change now.
I think I've probably softened a little bit on this; right now I'd characterise my position as: absent players are good for scum no matter what their alignment but often there are better candidates for lynching and pressure should still be exerted on the players that are present.

*checks players list*
NQT and Tiruin: both strong players who I've seen play in the past.
Thanks for the vote of confidence scumbuddy ;)

Do you think it's important to talk to everyone on Day 1?

IG
With proof, or to scumhunt, certainly.
I'll hold you to that.

Jack A.T. for Third Party.
Not all third parties are bad. Why do you think Jack's 3rd party?

Flabort, who's scummiest right now?

Toony
Yes. A vote is usually the only thing town can use to kill scum.
I'm glad we're of an accord on this point.

Is there anything from your long Supernatural experience that we should be aware of?

Jiokuy
@notquitethere: Quick to accuse aren't you? Afraid you will slip up and reveal your true nature?
I don't even fear fear itself, but I am quick to accuse players I've not played with before. I see you've FOS'd me. That's cute. Are you going to vote anyone today?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2014, 06:50:17 am »

I'm just gonna quickly skim for questions directed at me, bit in a hurry.

Toaster
Ottofar:  Would you rather kill scum yourself or get them lynched?

Whichever gets them quicker. I'm kinda bad at leading lynches, though, so probably kill them myself.

NQT
Ottofar Who do you think scum will lynch tonight?

Eh, if you mean scum nightkills, I'm guessing Jim would be pretty high on that list.
If you mean D1 Lynch, I could guess 4maskwolf or this new guy, Jiokuy.

Jack
Ottofar: I remember you.  Still lurky?

I try not to.

Persus
Ottofar: Has any Supernatural game had a sorcerer? If you could choose a role, what would you pick?

Not as far as I recall, could be mistaken though. Why don't you go check yourself?

Anyway I'd pick a role that gives info, a Sage or a Dreamwalker, or perhaps a Mystic, especially with the new mechanic Meph mentioned.

Flabort

Ottofar What kind of faction would you most want to be a part of?

I'd like to be a mason, I've never been one. Also, being a cult leader could be fun.

Jiokuy, what is your favourite role power?
Which role power would you most like to have right now?
Which power would you never want scum to have (pick one)?
What is your alignment?
What is your favourite alignment?
What colour is my drapery?
What kind of scumteam do you think we're against?
What do you expect from the game?
Who do you think is scum?
Who is the most likely person to be town right now, from your point of view?
Who are you?
Who would you roleblock at night?
Who would you protect?
Should Millers claim in their 1st post?
Should any other roles claim right off the bat?
Is claiming a Miller a towntell, a scumtell or a null one?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2014, 08:35:28 am »

Jiokuy:
@King Toaster: I play around one game each season. I was last in the battle for Orbfalls.
I've read the first supernatural, and I will be looking forward to reading the rest in the future.
How did you earn your title Lord Toaster?

Ah.  I might have to actually get around to reading that game sometime, then.

By winning King of the Mafia 4.

What lessons from those two games are you bringing here?

Imperial Guardsman:
Imperial Guardsman: Why would I specifically ask you?  Why not, say, ask Tiruin about her most feared third party type?
It just seems suspicious to avoid asking about thirds IN A SETUP THAT HAS A STUPIDLY HIGH CHANCE OF THIRDS

Do you realize you're chasing an absurd argument?

NQT:
His Toastliness
Going on past experience, derping around, pointless theorycrafting on the nature of the scum team, then a mislynch.  If we're lucky there will be some worthy data points to look back on come D2.
Yeah that does sound plausible. Do you have any suggestions for making the first day more useful?

Don't be stupid?

In seriousness, it's something I've wondered for years.  The best way is for nobody to think "this is D1 so there's no information to go on" and to instead think "this is D1; I need to force out information."  There have been games with great dialog on D1, and I have found scum on the first day before.  There are also many games with heavy doses of derping around.

I think the biggest problem of D1 play is people tend to get focused on the first issue that comes up and drive a lynch off that, instead of teasing out side arguments and really digging in to that first one and seeing if it's truly a lynchworthy case.  Scum, of course, are typically happy to see that happen.

but more generally scum are almost never the most frequent posters (last year, by my count, only one game had scum as the most frequent poster)

Did you ever analyze if this varied by player?  (As in high-average post count players versus low average post count players)

Not all third parties are bad.

There may be some that aren't overtly anti-town, but the vast, vast majority are unconcerned with a town victory.  In the absence of a strong scum candidate (or LYLOesque situation where scum must be lynched) I'd be for the lynch of pretty much any third party.

Ottofar:  If you're so pressed for time, why ask one player so many questions?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2014, 09:18:45 am »

Ottofar Why do you think Jiokuy or Wolf are most likely to die today?

Toaster-Heika
In seriousness, it's something I've wondered for years...
Some wise words. I think it's important for everyone to interact with everone else so that in future days players have more interactions to draw on. Are you going to address the people you've not spoken to yet?

but more generally scum are almost never the most frequent posters (last year, by my count, only one game had scum as the most frequent poster)
Did you ever analyze if this varied by player?  (As in high-average post count players versus low average post count players)
As only player was an outlier there was almost no variation. Even high post players like Tiruin don't post as much when they're scum.

Where is Tiruin, as it happens?

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2014, 09:25:32 am »

Imperial Guardsman: Alright.

Another question: at the time that you FoSed me, Toaster's only post had RVS questions, but none about third parties.  Were you aware of this?  If so, what made you choose to single me out?
No, I was not aware.
Imperial Guardsman:
Imperial Guardsman: Why would I specifically ask you?  Why not, say, ask Tiruin about her most feared third party type?
It just seems suspicious to avoid asking about thirds IN A SETUP THAT HAS A STUPIDLY HIGH CHANCE OF THIRDS
Do you realize you're chasing an absurd argument?
Its getting a bit redundant now, but Im watching Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 09:27:46 am »

Imperial Guardsman, you missed my question: why do you think Jack is third party?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:59 am »

NQT:
Toaster-Heika
In seriousness, it's something I've wondered for years...
Some wise words. I think it's important for everyone to interact with everone else so that in future days players have more interactions to draw on. Are you going to address the people you've not spoken to yet?

I've never made a mental point to address every single person, though I often pick players who I haven't done much with yet when I'm trying to do a partial reread.*  I should probably throw out some more feelers, though.

Persus:  Let's say you are an Oracle, and can see what faction a player belongs to.  You inspect someone N1 and get a result that's never been seen in a Super game so far.  Would you claim it?

4mask:  What's the scummiest thing you've seen so far?

Jim:  Let's assume you're a Vampire Lord and it's N2.  A couple less "townie" players have claimed strong roles.  Would you base your conversion attempt to pick up a powerful role, or would you rather get a strong town player?

*If I'm stuck with no suspects, sometimes I'll semi-randomly pick a player I don't have a good read on and go reread everything of theirs.  I then repeat this process until something bothers me.  Typically at the end I'll have a couple players I'm questioning and one I'm actively suspecting.   This is more of a D2/3 move, though.

Imperial Guardsman:  That's not really an answer to my question.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2014, 09:42:01 am »

Wolf
We've had this argument before.  I don't like it, but I'm not going to push the issue.  We've had a difference of opinions since GBU and it isn't going to change now.
I think I've probably softened a little bit on this; right now I'd characterise my position as: absent players are good for scum no matter what their alignment but often there are better candidates for lynching and pressure should still be exerted on the players that are present.

*checks players list*
NQT and Tiruin: both strong players who I've seen play in the past.
Thanks for the vote of confidence scumbuddy ;)

Do you think it's important to talk to everyone on Day 1?
I think it is important that everyone talks, but not that I talk to everyone.  That should answer your question.

Hmm... nothing really stands out right now, Toaster.  How would you answer this question?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2014, 09:49:52 am »

Ottofar:  If you're so pressed for time, why ask one player so many questions?

Asking things doesn't require too much analysis, and I don't know who he is. Anyway, reading thread now.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2014, 09:53:12 am »

ebwop: Asking RVS questions doesn't,  following up usually does.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2014, 09:57:35 am »

Wolf
I think it is important that everyone talks, but not that I talk to everyone.
Hmm... nothing really stands out right now
Well of course nothing's going to stand out if you don't press people. I'd like to see you talk with everyone so when you flip scum I can better root out your scum mates. Read the thread and use your imagination: what's the scummiest thing?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 80