Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Map?

Urraparrand (1 land, 1 sea, weird geography; 145 land + 35 sea)
- 0 (0%)
Plane of Rusty Nails (1 continent, 1 large sea, 1 small sea, 1 lake; 143 land + 12 sea
- 1 (16.7%)
Valanis (Cave system, 2 continents, 1 sea, 1 island w/ throne; 142 land + 21 sea; not wraparound)
- 0 (0%)
Realm of Roaring Rhinos (1 continent, 1 sea; 169 land + 16 sea)
- 2 (33.3%)
Cradle of Dominion (1 continent, 1 sea, few lakes, interesting geography; 199 land + 22 sea; not wraparound)
- 1 (16.7%)
Other (post what you want in the topic)
- 2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 06, 2014, 04:54:52 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.07: Game Going  (Read 32068 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.07: More Dominions? More Dominions!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »

Not cruicial, but some caves are always nice.

For MA, no caves mostly means two things: no place you can summon Olms, and no non-fort locations to buy Wet Ones (the most cost-effective siege troops in the game). The latter is at most an inconvenience, but the former is noticeable, and amounts to removing a very useful tool from your arsenal.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »

Oh right, forgot summoning spells require a certain terrain at times.

LongDongSilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 04:40:53 pm »

I'll be going with Marignon.

We have 10 people already and no water factions. I'll put up a poll for what map we want to use in a little bit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:42:27 pm by LongDongSilver »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 05:17:10 pm »

Custom wrap-around, hand-tailored random map with caves and water provinces and hand picked starting positions.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 05:35:54 pm »

No water factions yet? I could give MA R'yleh a try.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 02:07:44 am »

I've just seen you've posted a poll about the map.
I browsed them in the llamaserver, and I'm not agaisnt any of them.
As said in another thread, Valanis may provide a big advantage to ahrhghahtha, but I don't know whether most of the other maps have caves (Urraparrand have nice tunnel-y caves).

But please remember that neither Valanis nor cradle are wraparound at all, whereas the three other are full wrap-around.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 02:31:42 am »

Wrap around maps please.

LongDongSilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 02:36:47 am »

But please remember that neither Valanis nor cradle are wraparound at all, whereas the three other are full wrap-around.

Added that to the poll to make that clear to everyone.

I took a closer look at Valanis as a whole, and it does look like the fact that it isn't wraparound could be a problem. The map is roughly circular so it's not a problem for most areas, where it's more akin to starting on an edge vs starting on a corner so it's  not as bad. The areas above the caves though seems kind of surrounded on all sides, which may be a problem for whoever starts there. In addition, these threatened areas are above the cave system which I think might make them a very favorable target for agartha. So whoever starts there seems slightly screwed. Not super screwed mind you, but definitely at a disadvantage.

Since we have Agartha playing I'd still prefer to have at least a couple of caves on the map though.

Custom wrap-around, hand-tailored random map with caves and water provinces and hand picked starting positions.

Don't know if that would be a great idea. We either have to get a 3rd party to make the map or let someone here do it and trust them to be impartial. It would also be a pain.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 03:16:58 am »

I don't think it would be that much of a hassle. I mean, you (generic you) just have t ogenerate a few maps (to have a fine looking one), maybe move the starting positions a bit to make sure everyone has the same number of neighbouring provinces, and make sure not all the cave/water provinces are grouped together.

On the other hand, I really like Plane of Rusty Nails (at least from its picture). It looks nice, there are good natural borders (lakes, rivers, mountains, a bit of everything everywhere (and more than a single mountain range).
Realm of Roaring Rhinos would seem good too, but from its description, I think that all of its sea provinces are connected. moreover, there are less rivers in the east part of it.
Anyway, I can only access to their picture and description on llama, so if you can provide information about caves in those, I wouldn't mind :D

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:51 pm »

On second thought, I think I'm in enough Dom4 games for now, so count me out.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LongDongSilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 12:55:08 pm »

Looks like no one else is going to join so I'll set the game up with realm of roaring rhinos as the map in a little bit.

Not going to use any mods, setting the needed points to win at 9 (with 6 1-point thrones, 3 2 point-thrones, and 1 3-point throne). Leaving score graphs on.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 01:18:12 pm »

Really no mod ?
Not even Worthy Heroes (balances the nations so that each has ~3 heroes, alll of them useful) ?

Oh, and should we get someone to set up the starting positions and the thrones semi-manually ?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 01:56:13 pm »

Please add in Worthy Heroes. It's really, really... Basically it makes heroes worthwhile instead of okay that they are now. And it also adds in heroes for nations that are lacking in them, like Oceania...

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 01:59:07 pm »

(basically, most of the nations that are considered "weak"  have no heroes, so it helps them, even if it is just a little)

LongDongSilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 04:26:49 pm »

will add worthy heroes then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28