Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Web Fortress  (Read 38726 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Web Fortress
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 08:57:30 pm »

PTW.  Mifki, you're a wizard. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 09:04:48 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 03:19:29 am »

This should make succession fort even crazier, good job.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 04:08:46 am »

This should make succession fort even crazier, good job.

I was thinking about this, and about maybe organising a contest this way.. However succession games and contests are usually quite long and maybe there's not much point in doing this online instead of just exchanging save games.
Maybe short contest or some special rules that would benefit from playing online.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 04:42:52 am »

One advantage i can see against normal succession games is that this could be more concentrated: in normal succession there is a some time allotted to your turn. During it you would not normally play 100% of time (especially if it's 1 week or something like that). This could optimize the playtime to be near 100% of real time. That would allow more progress in shorted real world time.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 04:59:04 am »

One advantage i can see against normal succession games is that this could be more concentrated: in normal succession there is a some time allotted to your turn. During it you would not normally play 100% of time (especially if it's 1 week or something like that). This could optimize the playtime to be near 100% of real time. That would allow more progress in shorted real world time.

Yes, but only if people are free and able to play.
That's why I was thinking about some short contests between teams - single world is generated and copied to several df instances running on a server, access is given to teams for eg. a week, they coordinate efforts inside teams and build forts, each member is playing when he/she can through this week. Other people can watch in real-time what's going on.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 09:46:38 am »

One interesting way you could do a succession fort is to allow, maybe at the top of every hour, someone to put their name into a hat to get the chance to play.  If no one else requests control than the existing player can continue as long as they like.  From everyone that requests control it could randomly pick one, weighted towards players that haven't played yet, or haven't played recently.  That way if you have a group of 5-10 people watching from a pool of 20+ they could organically swap in or out and have continuous play, and people who only have a few hours to play would probably be able to jump in during their free time.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 10:16:07 am »

Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 11:16:36 am »

The best would be to add a simple REST API to allow several actions. The owner could set a list of player or leave it FFA, set the timer, users could also opt out of playing and see the queue.

Afterwards making a JS client should be trivial. And you could make short public successions, something fun to play on an evening.

SamStrife

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 09:09:53 am »

Hey all, long time lurker but this thread has turned me into a first time poster.

I honestly can't decide what I'm more excited about now, the update or this mod; as this is exciting as hell to me.

I always have online friends always asking me to teach them and being able to play, real-time, with them all, without the intimidation ASCII element. This will allow me to do that so easily, I absolutely cannot wait.

Insane work mifki, very well done.

The idea is simple: if we want to have any real-ish multiplayer we need ability to draw any place (not only what player is looking at). When we have that, we can at first implement e.g. play as one dwarf in a fort: player connects, is shown a radius around one dwarf, can influence his dwarfs choices somewhat. All this while "main player" (also server) is playing normal df fort mode.
Other ideas: each client can control one aspect of df (mining, military,etc...), each client can control one civ (needs binary hack for df to think of multiple civs as one), and so on...
The album has start of first idea. Offscreen module allows asking df to draw stuff, and my lua scripts perform server/client stuff.

With each player controlling a single dwarf this is going to be truly massively multiplayer game :)

I wonder what happens if we manually instantiate some df viewscreen and don't add it to screen hierarchy, but rather manually feed it with events and call its render(), swapping screen buffer/renderer before and after this call.

Okay, excuse my ignorance when it comes to all the technical aspect but what you guys are saying is that, in theory, I could run an Object Testing Arena game where I have friends controlling units they've made whilst I, in a gamemaster like role, throws whatever dangers I can at them?  If so incredible! Or is that all just a far off, pipe dream?

Gnoface

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 11:57:54 am »

I always have online friends always asking me to teach them and being able to play, real-time, with them all, without the intimidation ASCII element. This will allow me to do that so easily, I absolutely cannot wait.

I registered just so I could post something similar. I've got a couple friends who seem to be interested in Dwarf Fortress, however the game comes across as a little, ahem, difficult-ish.
While your Web Fortress server was up, one of my friends watched a guy play the game and eventually when that guy left, my friend looked around at what was happening in the world.

I feel like everybody is missing a major use with this mod/plugin, and that point is teaching others how to play.

Edit: Hopefully the plugin is released before the new update!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:23:56 pm by Gnoface »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 02:26:55 pm »

I wonder what happens if we manually instantiate some df viewscreen and don't add it to screen hierarchy, but rather manually feed it with events and call its render(), swapping screen buffer/renderer before and after this call.
It depends on what screen you use - if it's one of the Status popup windows, it'll probably work (and might even dynamically update automatically), but if it tries to open a new window it will open on top of the main window instead of itself (since it assumes that it's the main window), and if it tries to close itself, it won't work (because windows don't close themselves but instead ask DF to do it for them).

If you try doing this for the Dungeonmode viewscreen in order to control multiple adventurers, it will probably break things in a very dramatic way because the "current adventurer" is a global variable (which is used by everything else in the game). Even if you did get this to work, causing one adventurer to perform an action would likely cause the other one to simply do nothing, because a lot of that logic happens directly in the viewscreen's input code rather than its "background logic" code (which is how Fortress mode does it).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:28:26 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2014, 06:05:11 pm »

Are there any plans to release the server code? I know I'd like to host one if I could.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2014, 06:21:55 pm »

Are there any plans to release the server code? I know I'd like to host one if I could.

Yes. Many plans and not enough time, sorry)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6